Print Story What to do about the body.
Internet
By gzt (Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 05:45:34 PM EST) gzt, train, fiction, non-fiction, book, the worm ouroboros, prohibition (all tags)
It's a perennial question.

I finished The Worm Ouroboros. The ending is great. I won't spoil it for you. The hint is in the title of the book. If you're interested in high fantasy from the 1920s, well-done archaism, and ripping good yarns, this is the book for you. I typically hate on people who try to use archaic English forms because it always sucks, but this book turns out well.

Underwhelmed, slightly, by the increase I got this year after all that talk. But it's a tough year and the total increases available were a lot lower, so, well, it's understandable. Doesn't mean I like it. I'm supposed to find out the bonus amount soon. I have no reason to stay until fall, but I think I'm behind on studying for the exam in May again. It's just a pile of work and my class is a pile of work, so it's hard to convince myself to do both. The exam is the ticket out. I've been saying this for literally years.

I found an interesting article about how the US government poisoned people during Prohibition. For those about to comment about denaturing, this is stuff done above and beyond denaturing.

I've been travelling and dealing with family crises and such lately, so my last training session was Sunday, the last one before that was the Sunday before, and the last before that was the Sunday before. My adductors are still sore from squatting on Sunday, which makes me happy, because it means I'm doing something right. I'm training tonight, of course. My back is also sore, presumably from all the sitting. This makes me unhappy. I like happiness. Maybe some heavy deadlifts will sort me out.

The real question for the day is what novel to read next. Or what non-fiction. We are probably constrained to what I have on my bookshelf, which you cannot see. But you can make guesses, I suppose.

Okay. I'm leaving. I have to go train.

< Book of Nature | Not trolling is its own reward... >
What to do about the body. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Chuck Norris shows up in the oddest places by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 06:12:15 PM EST
``As one of its most outspoken opponents, Charles Norris . . .''

Cicero, The Republic
Chuck is also making waves by dmg (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 07:05:11 PM EST
In the truthseeker community
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Make sure the next book was adapted into a movie by marvin (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 06:23:35 PM EST
Those cause the best flamewars, especially if it is a fantasy or sci-fi.

I finally finished Guns, Germs and Steel. That could have been way shorter than it was, and I think his later work, Collapse, was better. Working on "Postwar: A history of Europe Since 1945" by Tony Judt, on the bus, having bought in on sale for $10 a year ago. Enjoying it quite a bit so far, but I haven't even gotten to the Marshall Plan yet.

I have no idea how some people on here read as many books as they do. I probably read as much or more today as I did 10 years ago, but instead of reading a book, I am now reading tech news and forums online. I can almost feel my brain atrophying.

train commute. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 09:03:02 PM EST
30-45 minutes each way, depending on how I hit the transfers.

Someone else who reads a lot more by marvin (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 10:44:15 PM EST
There is someone, can't recall who (Theophile? Blue Oregon?) who posts a list with what seems like 100 books each year, with 2-10 books in each diary they post. I just can't do that anymore. Back in high school, I once read LoTR three times over Christmas break (skimming enough that I caught a few different things each time). Now, I'd be lucky to finish it in a month. I try to slow down and think about what I am reading now. Sign of old age or something.

Theophile. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 11:17:37 PM EST
I think he has a longer train commute.

Commutes by train rule by barooo (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 06:00:04 PM EST
When I lived in KC I read maybe a book or two a year.  5 or 6 at most.  Now it's about 1.5 per week pretty much exclusively on the train.  I'm nearing what I sense as the denouement in Rabbit at Rest right now, then it's either All Quiet on the Western Front or maybe try again to read Gravity's Rainbow or Giles Goat-Boy.  I tried both of those in KC and lost steam.  Same with Infinite Jest except I managed to bull my way through it. I'd actually like to re-read that one, I suspect reading it at a faster clip would be better, I read it over about an 8 month period.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I find it's hard... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 10:26:19 PM EST
...to concentrate on more involved books on the train, unfortunately. Gravity's Rainbow or Infinite Jest just wouldn't work on the train for me.

Trains are awesome by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Feb 24, 2010 at 08:53:46 PM EST
When I started using the train time to study Japanese, my reading when from 70 books a year to 20.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
What to do about the body. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback