Print Story Points.
By nightflameblue (Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 01:42:26 PM EST) (all tags)
Dot, dot, dot.

• I have been assured that "The American People" are 100% against any possible healthcare reform. Yet I can't find one actual person who thinks the healthcare industry doesn't need busted in the chops for some reason or another. I find it odd how few real-life people understand the correlation between these two items.
  • Bleeding on your guitar is not nearly as metalz as it sounds. Unless you continue to play to the end of your five minute plus track while bleeding and THEN clean up after. \m/
  • LLT suddenly turned on the hunger this morning after two days of barely wanting anything to eat. She went all berserker rage while we were eating breakfast. Had to resupply her mid-meal as she kept staring at me like, "hurry up, deadbeat."
  • Relatives, blah, something, trips, unending torment, torture, never-ending proceedings and love. Whatever.
  • Devin Townsend still rules. Currently touring, but I can't find a date near me. Typical.
  • Mrs. NFB's computer needed a good hard slapping. I delivered. It's currently behaving.
  • Me and computers, we ain't been gettin' along so well lately. Whatevs.

• "I made this picture using pasta... Fuck you, it IS artistic!"

"They're not smile lines, they're stretch marks. Cock sucker."
  • Blah blah blah, multi-band compression blah yadda blah. EQ blah, brickwall yah, shooby piano modified honky-tonk blah blah violin tone. Fuzz elimination yadda yadda blah.
  • I've started referring to the big aquarium residents as water pigs. Every time you open the lid, food or not, you hear snapping and gulping at the surface. Water pigs.
  • BB has created a new term to describe our little office experiment: Zippy 3.1. Conversion hasn't completely taken. We've regressed slightly today. The complete lack of surprise at this is to be expected.
  • Blahdios.
< In which the 70's big diet is soon to end. | Traveling this year. >
Points. | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I spent my lunch finding a blood lab by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 01:57:36 PM EST
that is in network for my new health insurance. The one I like, know one knows if it is. The insurance company web page suggested one 40 miles away, and one in Tennessee. They finally helped me find a local chain.

I feel sorry for the rest of the world, which must have worse health care.

Yeah by barooo (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 02:32:05 PM EST
If this is the best health care in the world, all those poor sonsabitches in yurp must have to self amputate with a cheese knife.  I really do feel sorry for them and am blessed to be a white man in America.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Yesterday, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 01:37:53 PM EST
I popped over to the hospital to buy crisps and chocolate in the middle of the day (it's just over the road from where I work), and noticed that I'd got a blood test form my GP had given to me to be done about now in my desk drawer, so I picked that up and went and waited in the blood lab for about 5 minutes to get my bloods done.

It was pretty hellish, though. They were playing BBC Radio Somerset in the waiting room, so Elton John's super-soupy Daniel was the order of the day. And the phlebotomist apologised incredibly profusely because she missed my vein the first time in, because she wanted to do it without a tourniquet, and as she knows I'm normally an easily bleed, but clearly I'm not when I'm on prednisolone.

And then I left the blood lab and got back to work fine.

Except for the fact that I broke a leg tripping over the dead body of Stephen Hawking in the hospital foyer.

I did get my blood drawn today by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 01:45:51 PM EST
at the lab I like. It's probably out of network, so I would get charged 40% instead of 20%, but I have yet to meet my $2400 deductible, so it doesn't really matter, for now.

What kind of deductible or copay did you have to pay?

Copays by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 02:11:38 PM EST
£110 per year cap on drug costs (or £7.20 per prescription), free to under 16s, the poor, pregnant women and over 60s.

Nothing for treatment. Moderately extortionate telephone, TV and internet charges for inpatients. Vision tests charged at £20 (with means and health-tested subsidies). Dental care has c.30% copay, with a cap, I believe. Free for pregnant women and children.

I think that's the essence of it.

Oh, and the cost is notionally 6% of your (quoted) gross salary, plus an additional 6% surcharge on your gross salary paid by your employer.

It's OK really.

Healthcare by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 02:02:18 PM EST
I know some people who think that healthcare is A-OK as it is.  Mind you, they all work for various government agencies and have their premiums 100% paid by their employer.  They're simply detached from the real-world issue.

That'd be one way to "fix" it. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 02:08:00 PM EST
Take away provided healthcare for government workers and officials. See how long it takes to fix healthcare then.

I'd guess by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 02:40:20 PM EST
About a week.

I was thinking the other day by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 03:14:06 PM EST
it'd be cool if a law were put in place that prevented running for public office if you had an annual income of over so many dollars. Say, a million? I'd bet that would clean a large portion of the cruft out of government in a hurry.

Of course, that won't ever in a bazillion years happen, but it's an interesting thought experiment.

interesting. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 12:53:10 PM EST
convert to percentiles (like 99th percentile of US income chart or whatever) and I'm in. Need to account for independent wealth somehow too.

The difficulty comes by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 01:23:22 PM EST
from the fact that the lawmakers themselves at the moment would likely fall into any percentage/monetary "you haz too muches" range. There is no way their self-preservation do-nothing lifestyle could be put on the line that succinctly.

On the bright side, the mere mention of the thought in the right circles, like my current company president and his buddies, can turn normally somewhat sane people into raving lunatics in 0.3 seconds.

99th percentile income in 2006 by garlic (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 10:30:54 PM EST
was 400k.

90th percentile in 07 was 75k.

But enough about Republican congress by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 02:08:22 PM EST
critters.

I have my premiums paid 100% by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 07:48:35 PM EST
and it still sucks. I have a 500 deductible it seems, like car insurance.  Except I get this NOT A BILL bill and it says my part of the payment is 523 bucks, and it says I met the 500 deductible.

Figuring this out is gonna be a mess.

Click

Zippy 3.1 by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 02:19:10 PM EST
To be followed by Zippy 3.11 for Workgroups.

Will we ever get Zip32?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Nah. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 02:21:49 PM EST
There's absolutely no way he'd ever need that much memory addressing.

Zip Two point Oh by marvin (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 04:36:59 PM EST
A new paradigm in the integration of communication and collaboration. More synergy, pushing Zippy to every desktop in the company in an interactive rich user experience.

Harnessing the powah of the Zipster to create even more fail.

We passed 2.0 by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 05:03:49 PM EST
back after the first failmeeting involving Zipper, the boss, and HR. That was Zippy 2.0. It lasted about, oh, three days or so.

Zip32S, by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 01:21:00 PM EST
I believe getting anything done on that version requires "thunking".

water pigs by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 06:42:21 PM EST
and then even if you do feed them, 15 minutes later they look at you like you never actually fed them and your memory of doing so is obviously a hallucination.
---------
It's fine. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 10:43:03 PM EST
So long as we don't acknowledge them, they don't act like they're hungry. Jack on the other hand, he's ALWAYS hungry. Always.

it's hard by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 06:29:21 PM EST
to not acknowledge a cute loachy who's flapping his fins at you.
---------
I feel the same way about our Betta. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 09:40:13 PM EST
The gouramis on the other hand, they tend to hover between cute and annoying with their constant demands for more food. I do have to admit I enjoy watching the cories take the food away from the gouramis that is supposed to go to the cories. The sinking pellets seem to drive the gouramis mad, yet the cories always seem to win.

most fish by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 10:31:48 PM EST
have way more personality than people give them credit for. even if that personality is just "dumb".
---------
Yep. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Feb 04, 2010 at 09:00:18 AM EST
Most people just don't want to put enough time into watching them to see the personality.

Mrs. NFB has started referring to Jack as the back-room shark. He has a tendency to hide and then sneak up on her really slowly when she sits by the tank and then stare her down. It's really the first time she's noticed fish personality. It was quite the revelation.

sleep talkin man by LoppEar (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 09:04:50 PM EST
S has been promising (threatening with laughs) to start recording my nocturnal ramblings. She says the donkey jockey one is dangerously close to our irreality. She did not need this impetus, thanks.

Meh. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 10:41:58 PM EST
We got it going both ways in our house. Apparently Mrs. NFB was on Dr. Oz a couple nights ago as an expert in childcare, discussing parents that spent so much time fighting over a child that they never bothered to pay attention to him. Quite the conversation ensued when she began talking out loud. Ending with a loud, "quiet, I'm trying to talk to Dr. Oz!" Particularly odd is she's never actually watched the show, only seen commercials.

Me, I go for the simple pleasures. The squirrel ropes originally discussed by my father in his sleep and the slippery tellings of children bungling odd jobs.

Points. | 27 comments (27 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback