Print Story How stimulating, almost too stimulating to fit!
Drink
By georgeha (Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 11:11:39 AM EST) stimulus, beer, Vineyard (all tags)
That's what she said!

Plus, Is that Johnny in Tisbury (aka Losing Chase)?, party mixup and less.

Poll: What color are your appliances?

It was time for the New York version of cash for clunky appliances stimulus, and as our refrigerator was 24 years old and looking like it survived a nuclear blast, it didn't take much for us to consider getting a new one. Off to Sears Friday evening to see what they had in stainless, double doored and affordable, which was just about one model, a 25 cubic footer. Not too surprisingly, we ran into a co-worker of Mrs. Ha's, they need a new fridge and they didn't live to far from that Sears. After the paperwork, Target for a birthday present, back to the mall for dinner at the Friendly's I worked at in high school, then home.

Saturday was a day of anxiety, as I didn't measure our interior doorways before going fridge shopping, and based on the measurements I found only, our 30 inch wide doors might keep out the new fridge. Fudge! After the DVD swap and a quick workout, I got out the tools, borrowed a big prybar from newspaper_dad, and attacked the doorway. Crikey, what sort of moron attaches molding with 8 d nails (the suckers were 3 inches long and thick enough for framing)*. What sort of moron shoehorns in molding so that you have to remove molding from the door away from the door that you eventually want to remove the molding from. I lost it, I ended up getting out my jigsaw to cut away molding. By the end of the day I had tons of molding on the floor, and a 31.25 inch wide doorway.

I was pretty beat, so I halfheartedly watched Helen Mirren in Losing Chase, about an older mom recovering from a nervous breakdown on Martha's Vineyard. Several scenes were set in Tisbury, I kept looking for Johnny. Anyhow, older mom (almost too old to be a mom for the youngest boy) is recovering from a nervous breakdown, and is cranky to the helper (Kyra Sedgewick) her husband hired until the helper gets cranky back. The scenery was nice, the story didn't do it for me. I look for escapism in movies, dealing with a mentally ill woman isn't really escapism.

Sunday was the fridge delivery day. We took steps to make it easier, cleaning out the old fridge, moving it out, sending the dog with my parents, and asking them to be back by 5:00 since eight year old had a party at 6:00. The delivery was scheduled between 2:30 and 4:30, it would all work out.

Except they were running late. Fortunately my dad wore the dog out, and the delivery dudes were able to get in and out in a matter of minutes. They didn't use a dolly, rather a big thick nylon harness thingie. And the party, mixup, RSVP date was Sunday, the real party is Saturday.

Short day at work today, I'm heading home around noon to put the house back together.

So, this weekend there is a chance of both kids being away Saturday. Thirteen year old has a girl scout campover all weekend, and eight year old might sleep over. We are planning on dinner out Saturday, and I may even get some cask ale at the Tap and Mallet on Saturday. Also the gaming meet is on Saturday theoretically, but all the hardcore gamers are at NBW, I'm not sure if anyone will attend.

* My bosses boss suggested that huge nails on the door jamb make sense if you're hanging a heavy solid door off it, which does make sense. It doesn't explain three inch nails on floor moulding though.

< A week fixed. | It's weird. >
How stimulating, almost too stimulating to fit! | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
can always by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 11:17:08 AM EST
take the doors of the fridge too -- depending on various other factors..

Is avocado the "I haven't updated since the 60s" or the "I'm a retro hipster who buys formica and avocado appliances" ?

They probably would have had to take the hinges by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 11:23:51 AM EST
off, which would have been another 15-20 minutes work, according to the hotline. As it was, they opened the freezer door, angled it through, opened the fridge door, slid it through then angled it through. For my own satisfaction, I'm claiming the extra inch and a half necessary.

Don't know about avocado, we're beige, black and now stainless.

Not all appliances the same colour. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 11:27:40 AM EST
Of the ones that I own, kettle and microwave are stainless steel, food processor and toaster are white (food processor bowl is smoked plastic), and rice cooker is the odd one out in dark red (it's of early 90s Korean vintage).

The ones that are in the flat are stainless steel oven and dark glass halogen stove (both probably relevant to whether or not I liked the look of the kitchen, which I do) and the washing machine and fridge are white (not important).

Stove and dishwasher are beige and black by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 11:36:04 AM EST
toaster is stainless, Freedom Press coffee press is black and polycarb, mixer is stainless, blender is offwhite, microwave is white.

Major kitchen appliances are all stainless by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 01:31:59 PM EST
so I voted stainless.

Toaster is white, microwave is faux wood. Washer & dryer are white.

Friendly's by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 11:28:26 AM EST
They're still around? They disappeared from the DC area years ago.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

They're still in the northeast by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 11:36:32 AM EST
though a few have closed down around here.

Silver Spring has one by lm (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 04:32:31 PM EST
Took my wife there for mother's day last year. I think the name of the road is Cherry Hill. The shopping center has Kohl's, Target, a pet store and such.

It's was just as bad as I remember them being in Ohio. Of course, at the time I was eating there in Ohio, I thought it was good.

Cicero, The Republic
That woman took me to one in Joisey. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 04:54:23 PM EST
Somewhere between Morristown and Delaware Water Gap, IIRC. It (the ice cream) was pretty good.

central PA by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 07:14:58 PM EST
lost theirs a few years ago.

Click
WIPO by ana (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 02:15:01 PM EST
Harvest Gold. Fits in nicely with the 1978 decor.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Further research is needed by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 02:28:58 PM EST
what I thought was beige might actually be Harvest Gold.

Harking back to 1976 by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 02:31:25 PM EST
My parents bought the white dish washer because it was 20 dollars cheaper than getting the same model in color.

Years go by, and the door seal breaks down and my mom buys a new one and asks me to install it. So, I take the door apart and discover... to my astonishment... that behind the white panel were 4 other panels, each with a different color on each side. I showed them to my mom, and she switched to a shiny new black dishwasher.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
The stainless was a bit more expensive by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 02:42:25 PM EST
but whatever Mrs. Ha wants...

THIS! by lolwhat (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 02:56:49 PM EST
The first fridge I remember in the house where I grew up, was harvest gold. The kitchen floor also incorporated harvest gold, green, brown, and some other shit. My 'rents remodeled the kitchen as soon as they could afford it.
If cigarette packs are required to have pictures of diseased lungs, college brochures should be required to have photos of grads working at Starbucks.
Recently... by ana (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 03:12:56 PM EST
we stripped the aging wallpaper out of the front hall, around the corner from the kitchen. Under the wallpaper we found, written in pencil, "I love you, Niel, 1978". So that's when the remodel was done, I think. It's consistent with the choices that were made. We're slowly backing out some of that stuff; eventually the kitchen will have its turn.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

I prefer by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 05:23:40 PM EST
Burnt Auburn.  Nothing like blackened orange to say "70s"

Gedvondur

"I have a high threshold for taking it in the bum..." - MissTrish
The sort of moron who uses 8d nails by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 02:28:56 PM EST
is the kind of moron who has a huge box of 8d nails sitting next to him, but the other kind are sitting in the truck.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals
for whatever reason by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 02:40:06 PM EST
I don't really like stainless appliances.  I'm weird like that.

Maybe the upkeep? by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 04:22:34 PM EST
Upkeep is a pain, and we pretty much fail at it.  However, with our cabinets and floor being light colored wood, and a tanish counter-top, they do look very nice in our kitchen.  I don't think any "color", even white, would look as good.  Maybe if we han everything wood finished it might be okay, but it's tough to find appliances that accept the wood paneling.  We had a tough enough time with our small fridge.

But generally?  No, not a big fan of stainless either, I just think it ends up with the best possible look in our kitchen.

Me, either. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 04:30:08 PM EST
What I really want is a mint green vintage refrigerator from this place. Unfortunately, they're prohibitively expensive. Still, though, how friggin' cool would a mint green refrigerator with purpley-silvery walls be?
Holy crap. by technician (4.00 / 1) #22 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 07:17:18 PM EST
That site is fantastic.

I won't one of those wood burning stoves. And a fridge. Holy cow.

Indeed. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #23 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 07:24:25 PM EST
Their stuff looks amazing, and I have a friend whose former acquaintance had one of their fridges. She (my friend) said it was amazing.
Amazing colors by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #25 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 08:22:42 PM EST
but jeepers, almost twice what we paid at Sears for the cheapest, smaller than what we had.

omg omg omg by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #24 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 07:56:49 PM EST
too awesome!!!

mostly white by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #26 Sat Feb 20, 2010 at 01:03:13 PM EST
white fridge, we replaced the yellow stove with a white one, and we have a black dishwasher. the sink is stainless (though that's technically not an appliance). We're probably getting a new dishwasher soon...most likely it will be white. washer and dryer are...beige, i guess. all the appliances came with the house- including the aforementioned yellow stove, which was broken from the start.
---------