Print Story A week fixed.
Cycling
By hulver (Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 10:09:34 AM EST) (all tags)
I've been commuting all week on my fixed gear bike.

It's been good.

I'm starting to get used to it now. It's still quite weird, pedalling all the time but my legs are getting used to it. There are sometimes when I wish I could just coast, but I'm getting quite good at just letting my legs get on with it, without actually putting any power down.

I'm doing a 100km ride on Sunday, and I'll be doing it on the fixed gear bike.

I took a close look at the elevation profile.

Start _____________________________________________________________________ End

That's it. It's quite flat.

I'm a bit worried about the usual things, such as getting the feeding right. I've not done enough long rides yet to get it sorted, and I either eat too much or not enough. It's an Audax ride though, so I'll be riding with some very experienced people (provided they don't all leave me for dust). I just hope I get the gubbins that you have to do on one of these rides correct. You need to get cards stamped to say you've been places, and things like that.

Oh well, it doesn't matter much if I mess it up. For £3 it's a lot cheeper than a sportive. You have to get your own food though. All the control points are at cafés and similar places. I actually go past my brothers house at one point. Might pop in for a cuppa if I'm not running out of time and I'm not in a group. He lives quite close to the end of the ride.

As to other things going on in my life at the moment. Well it's all pretty meh at the moment. We're communicating a lot better. Talking more and clearing up misunderstandings. It's a lot easier now. Which is good in a way. It's a lot nicer to live there, and I'm a lot less miserable.

Work is still un-brilliant. Very busy, not a lot of support from Management. I started putting some things into practise that I should have done ages ago, but there's still too much to do in too little time. Oh well.

How's you?
< WFC X - The Story of Danny Cobb | How stimulating, almost too stimulating to fit! >
A week fixed. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
glad you're communicating.. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 10:22:39 AM EST
that is in many ways the critical path. Hope things are better from Christmas.

I's okay by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 10:32:54 AM EST
Snowed last night, so now it looks pretty, but no biking for me in the near future.

Cat's at A2's parents house because we're going to Ottawa for the weekend. Gonna go skating on the Rideau Canal.

Can't complain.

But: Yay, fixie. If that's the elevation profile, it should be a piece of cake. Just pedal once, then let momentum do the rest of the work.

Vive le Montréal libre.

Friction by marvin (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 11:35:03 AM EST
You forgot something.

He should pray for a tailwind both ways, too.

No such thing as a tailwind both ways. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 11:55:58 AM EST
The name for the prevailing wind direction here in the UK is againsterly.

Psh by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 12:30:14 PM EST
Spoken like a man who's never ridden a Real Bike(tm).

Vive le Montréal libre.
A Penny Farthing? by marvin (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 12:51:37 PM EST
Nope, never ridden one of those.

Pretty miserable by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Feb 22, 2010 at 07:10:58 AM EST
Seeing as you ask. It's a time of year thing though - I'm not getting out to do the stuff I want to do because it's either snowing or raining or fucking freezing.

Soon as spring is here I'm taking some leave.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I'm quite fucked off myself now. by hulver (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Feb 22, 2010 at 08:30:15 AM EST
My ride on Sunday was snowed off.

I'd spent all week looking forward to it as well.

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
That's the problem at the moment by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Feb 22, 2010 at 09:03:20 AM EST
TBH I don't even like going out in the cold so I'm not doing any at all.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

A week fixed. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback