Print Story WFC X - The Story of Danny Cobb
Books
By 256 (Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 09:59:49 AM EST) WFC, WFCX, Danny Cobb (all tags)
Let me tell you about Danny Cobb. You met him once. You might not remember. You were just five years old, at a road-side diner on the way to somewhere. You were sitting on the edge of the chair, boots knocking against the crossbar, well shy of the ground. Just you and your mom.

I don’t know where your father was. Maybe he said he was just running to the toilet when really he was sneaking out back for a smoke and a bolt of gin from the flask in his boot. Maybe he was at the office, like always. Maybe he was dead and buried under six feet of good honest dirt by then. He’s your dad, you keep track of him.

Anyway, you were just sitting there, playing with an empty soda glass. Not empty enough though, cause when you knocked it over, ice and brownish melt spilled across the table and into your mother’s lap. And she got that look in her eye. You know the one.

Then a big man stood up at the next table. Said “excuse me ma’am” as he handed her a napkin. “But do you know the time?”

And your mother read her watch in a trance, oblivious to the big crystal on the big man’s wrist reflecting sky all over the ceiling. And then he was gone and your mother’s lap was still full of ice, but who can think of a thing like that in the wake of a big man like Danny Cobb?

And he is a big man. Six foot five if he’s an inch. And he’s an inch. Some people say he just keeps getting bigger, never stopped growing since the day he was born. I don’t know about that, but there’s no denying his size. He’s a big man and big things happen when he’s around. Sometimes little big things like your mother forgetting to give you hell. Sometimes big big things like-– Well, one tale has him flying the plane when Haile Sellasie touched down in Kingston, though another story I heard put Danny Cobb in Hanoi round that time.

They say he worked for the United Nations, back in the early days, when the United Nations still got their hands dirty. I know, you’re thinking to yourself “the United Nations never got their hands dirty.” Well, could be that Danny Cobb was the one decided he wanted you to think that.

I don’t know. Could be none of those stories are true. If I know anything about Danny Cobb it’s that he never liked to take direction from much of anyone for too long. Too many little voices calling the shots can be the death of a big man like that. And every outfit in this world needs Danny Cobb more than he needs them.

Actually, that reminds me of another story about Danny...

No wait. It’s your turn. Tell me one about Danny Cobb that I've never heard before. Don't make it too long, but make it good and make it true. You've got a little time to think if you need it. Say 'til the end of April.

< I wish the bastards dead | A week fixed. >
WFC X - The Story of Danny Cobb | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Why, I've got some things to say about him. by hulver (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 11:06:55 AM EST
+1 FP. Excellent idea.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
I can see him in my mind's eye. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 01:19:29 PM EST
If I only had time to draw him.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Upload site by 256 (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 01:32:51 PM EST

Thank to ad hoc. He's Danny Cobb's kind of guy.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

wait, wait by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 10:45:55 PM EST
end of April, not end of March, right? If it's March, I surrender right now.

"Plans aren't check lists, they are loose frameworks for what's going to go wrong." -- technician
end of april by 256 (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 11:22:45 PM EST
silly.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
Get out the way by johnny (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 04:51:00 PM EST
of old Dan Tucker
He's a mean old motherfucker
Supper's over and dinner's cooking
And old Dan Tucker just stands there looking

Oh wait, you said "Cobb", not "Tucker".

Nevermind.

word count range/limit? /nt by fleece (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 07:31:13 PM EST

I expect by 256 (4.00 / 1) #10 Sat Feb 20, 2010 at 10:51:23 AM EST
Danny Cobb wouldn't much trust a story more than a couple thousand words long.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
oh, boy by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Feb 19, 2010 at 10:37:03 PM EST
Just when we thought we were safe from WFCs ... this is diabolical. Simply diabolical.

Diabolical by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Feb 22, 2010 at 10:42:48 PM EST
Also, brilliant.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

brilliant by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #12 Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 07:03:23 AM EST
is a prerequisite for diabolical.

By complete coincidence by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Feb 20, 2010 at 10:31:36 AM EST
I am reading a Jack Reacher novel at the moment, who happens to fit your description of the perpetrator.....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Good. by 2 plus 3 equals 5 (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Feb 23, 2010 at 01:20:50 PM EST
 This is a reason to come out of the woodwork again.

-- Do the math.