Print Story Your life is a hellscape.
Marriage
By gzt (Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 05:51:02 PM EST) gzt, drat, free time, vegetables, fruits, hellscape (all tags)
I am a crisp twenty
You are a dirty penny
Dropped on the ground long ago, and no one bothered to pick you up
Slowly, you will erode, and after thousands of years, eventually return to the earth
The technical term for this is your life is a hellscape

That is such a great album. Best $5.99 I've spent in a long time.

Whoa! I just looked at the travel reservations and there is no car reservation. I thought I booked a car. So... I'm booking a car now. No, I'll wait until I get home so we can confirm it's not on Teh Wife's account or something, but I'm sure it was on mine. At least car rentals typically aren't things that inflate dramatically in price as you get closer to the reservation date. Though that does remind me: maybe we should rent a car, go see my parents sometime. But we don't really need to do it soon. After Easter.

I like fruits a lot more than vegetables. Vegetables are so boring, usually. I had a lot of grapes with lunch and there was leftover fruit from a meeting that I ate. I'm working on increasing the plant content of my diet, but I'm wondering whether there are any adverse effects to skewing towards fruits rather than vegetables. I have three go-to vegetables: spinach, broccoli, and carrots. I think Teh Wife is pretty fond of them, too, so that works out pretty well. It's perhaps not the ideal amount of variety, but it gets you pretty far.

Note to self: get rid of the car soon.

Most of my free time is now spent either wasting time on the internet or doing statistics work for class. It seems. If I'm doing neither, it's not free.

Drat. Why does this report have 1500 fewer people on it than yesterday's?

< Anyone have any suggestions on buying new Notebook? | I had so much to say I think. >
Your life is a hellscape. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
A few weeks ago by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 07:46:31 PM EST
I tried baked squash, cut into inch cubes, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Incredible!

Slowly baked turnips and rutabagas, in conjunction with a roast, are awesome, too.

What you said by barooo (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:29:33 AM EST
Plus, soup.  Take any root veg and sweat in a covered pot for 20-30 minutes with onions and a little butter or evoo and some salt & pepper, add some cream and milk and stock of some sort, or water, or just stock, and simmer for 30 minutes then puree in the ol' blender.  Pretty much the universal Cream of $veg recipe.  Cauliflower, turnips, squash or pumpkin, potatoes and leeks, etc.  You can also roast the vegetables in a 425 degree oven until somewhat browned and dehydrated and soft for a different roasty flavor instead of sweating them.

My favorite vegetables are probably well prepared brussels sprouts, sauerkraut, roasted beets, and roasted green beans.  Those in particular are winful, just throw some frozen green beans on a cookie sheet, toss w/ olive oil & s&p, and roast at 425 of the Lord's degrees until they are sort of wrinkled and maybe have some browning or char around the edges.  Better than french fries when dipped in homemade aioli or even plain mayo.

Oh, and asparagus.  When I was little, canned asparagus was my favorite food.  But I was a weird kid.  nowadays I hate the canned stuff, but grilled or steamed is still way up there on the list.

If Lent has you being all vegan, you could sub out the dairy for veg stock in all of the above (except the mayo, you pretty much need egg yolks there).

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
indeed. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 11:58:03 AM EST
Those are all great ideas. I/we do them occasionally, but, still, the three vegetables listed at the top are the go-to veggies. Oh, and avocado. Carrots usually as raw baby carrot sticks. Broccoli lightly steamed. Something done to the spinach. If I'm too busy to care what goes in the pie-hole, I can just eat the same thing every day, minimally prepared.

One thing I'm thinking of doing is treating avocado the way the Brazilians do: as a fruit eaten with sugar for dessert.

avocado power by barooo (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:18:47 PM EST
They're also great in smoothies.  A handful of frozen random berries, an avocado, some chocolate whey protein or plain + some cocoa, and a few glugs of milk in the ol' blender.

Avocadoes hardly count though, I consider them a fruit although I'm not sure why or if that's correct.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
They are a fruit, but are treated culinarily... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:25:42 PM EST
...as a vegetable. Except in Brazil, where they treat it, culinarily, as a fruit. Which I find interesting. And worth trying.

Chocolate + avocado works? Hmm.

Yes by barooo (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 01:54:59 PM EST
It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I'm a big fan of chocolate + avocado.  I think Alton Brown backs me up on this.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
do you count by garlic (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 09:55:39 PM EST
beans or lentils as vegetables?

musical fruits. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 09:24:59 AM EST
I count them as seeds/beans/legumes/whatevs. Distinct from fruits and vegetables.

they certainly count as plant life for your diet. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Feb 17, 2010 at 12:03:12 PM EST

Your life is a hellscape. | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback