Print Story Anyone have any suggestions on buying new Notebook?
Technology
By frog (Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 01:04:37 PM EST) (all tags)

It is finally time to join the modern age and get myself  a portable computer device of my own.

My one friend who just moved to Arizona said that she regretted her purchase due to lack of Memory.
Part of me says get a notebook while part of me says go for a full swing laptop.

One of my tech friend wants me to think of vounteering at a local organization that helps rebuild computers for chairities to learn how to rebuild computers and help others. He says its best to build your own. He claims that if I volunteer for couple months I should be able to rebuild my own computer no problem. I had a hard enough time putting together the portable closet I bought years ago. I can picture rebuilding one for my own use and having to call my bud up and ask him to please fix it for me as he snickers away.

Anyone ever done refurbishing on used computers?

< BONUS DAY | Your life is a hellscape. >
Anyone have any suggestions on buying new Notebook? | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
About those computer things by duxup (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 01:34:30 PM EST
1. They're a fad, but a fun one.

2. I don't know the difference between a notebook and laptop these days, but if you mean "net book" yeah get at least the laptop if this is your only computing device.

3. Build your own is a nice idea but it is time consuming and if you don't already have a computing device I suggest just buying one to get yourself set first.  Maybe build next time.

____
The best notebook on the market is this one by komet (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 02:56:57 PM EST

although I urge you not to get a refurbished one.

<ni> komet: You are functionally illiterate as regards trashy erotica.

Already have one of those by frog (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 05:34:13 PM EST
Good sense of humor dude.

For some reason my notebooks don't cut the mustard when wanting to access the world.

Comrade Stallman by chuckles (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 03:47:00 PM EST
uses the Lemote Yeelong.

Will research this Thanks by frog (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 05:40:25 PM EST
But the dude on the front page of your connect looks like someone I suspect one might meet hooking up on Craig's List.

Stay away from refurbished computers by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 05:16:46 PM EST
Used to work in CompUSA way back in the day, and the whole refurbish game basically went like this: Granted this has been about 10 years ago, but I suspect little has changed.

Some of the recent HP laptop models we've been seeing coming through work have had a decent "feel" to them, better than the Dell's at least.

Neat advice by frog (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 05:50:48 PM EST
I have an older HP.

The refurb computer I might end up going with would be something I would be rebuilding myself.

My bud says it would be great experience and help us be able to talk about computers on more of an even level but shit I think he wants to laugh his ass off. I would rather go fishing or bowling.

The volunteer gig I am thinking of doing actually teaches you how to rebuild computers to keep them out of landfills and help low income people and organizations have access to computers. People do need computers.

I would never buy a refurbed computer by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 05:55:57 PM EST
I'd be willing to buy a used computer from somebody I knew, but I trust refurbs about as much as I trust the service department at the local used car lot.

I just looked into the issue a bit for a friend. At present, Consumer Reports is gangbusters on Toshiba portables. Toshiba not only has the highest reliability ratings as of the present but also has recommended models at each price point. I haven't personally used a Toshiba laptop since 1996 so I have no direct experience on the matter.

As far as building something yourself, it's a great idea if you like doing such things. If it isn't something you enjoy doing any money saved will not be worth the headache.

Cicero, The Republic
Don't get a netbook by dmg (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 09:15:11 PM EST
That's all I would say. I speak from experience. Simply too much of a compromise.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Hear ya. by frog (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 03:46:37 PM EST
I have been hearing it left and right from those who use laptops that getting a netbook would be like buying a Le Laptop in line with the wonderful LeCar product that was out for a min in early 80's.

I have a friend who has always had trouble with her eyes when using her laptop but she is having real trouble with her eyes when using Linnux. I told her maybe using MS product instead would be better and she asked if I had been drinking the corporate Kool-aid of late.

Any idea on how to deal with the Linnux Fonts issue?

If its linux by dmg (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Feb 25, 2010 at 04:48:15 PM EST
It probably involves some combination of downloading loads of rpms, messing around for hours with config files, and pirating microsoft fonts...

At one point, Microsoft made certain of their fonts available to everyone, but if I recall correctly they then withdrew them.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
I can't encourage pirating...of fonts by frog (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Mar 01, 2010 at 04:06:08 PM EST
I just gave a whole lecture to my friend on his music download habit of downloading Peaches music and his never buying one of her Cd's yet.