Print Story more musing on travelling
By Merekat (Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 07:40:02 AM EST) (all tags)
Generally, when in a country that does them well, I prefer to stay in a B&B than a hotel.

This holds especially true for the UK & Ireland where non chain hotels tend to be...special in their decor and cleanliness. On the downside, researching is harder as many do not have websites, or if they do, it has no pictures and no rates. Pictures are particularly important. Without pictures I don't know if I will accidentally be spending the night having a tortured dude on a cross stare at me, or a bronze bust of JFK, or that most UKian of things, a carpeted bathroom floor.

Made it to the end of last week alive, half starved and hyperactive so self-medicated with schnitzel, herb butter and dark beer. Woke up with the first hangover I've had in years (after 2 beers). Not good. I blame the smoky bar.

Today, people still want a piece of me, but at least today I can ration the pieces without disaster.

Boring stuff to do. Vacuuming, laundry, packing, washing up, changing of cat litter, cleaning of toilets. I resent every single moment of my life these tasks consume. Their benefit is transitory, the conseqences of ignoring them, dire. Motivation factor 0.

Nordic walking poles. Make it interestingly easier to go up hill but make you look like an idiot and make me walk too fast (like doing a 2hr15min in 1h40) so I don't get to check out the scenery, Strictly for exercise purposes, not relaxation I think. Unless there is ice, in which case one is useful.

< First ride on fixed. | Welcome to Horsetown. >
more musing on travelling | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Walking with sticks* by Herring (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 08:02:21 AM EST
Seen a lot of people round my way doing that. It's marketing genius when you get people to buy an extra piece of equipment in order to walk.

*This could be a very dull BBC documentary.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

where it makes a difference by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 08:03:46 AM EST
Going up steep, icey slopes they are the business. Otherwise they just make me walk too fast.

My cousins appreciated them by garlic (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 04:47:23 PM EST
when they walked the Appalation trail. But that agrees with your point -- exercise vs. relaxation.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 08:12:49 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Thank goodness for that. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 12:14:21 PM EST
I really thought that other people thought that they were fine.

Mind you, for all the mopping I do,...

lolwhat by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 11:38:55 AM EST
Carpeted bathrooms?

That's even worse than the italian thing of putting tiled floors in the bedroom.

Vive le Montréal libre.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 12:49:06 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

I have a liberating idea for you. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Feb 15, 2010 at 07:04:55 PM EST
The next time you're confronted with some obnoxious B&B decor, take it down or cover it up.

They'll put it back when you check out and you paid for the right to be comfortable. Just do it!

I do by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Feb 16, 2010 at 06:06:40 AM EST
I have a track record of putting Jesuses in the wardrobe.

more musing on travelling | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback