Print Story Two things stood out to me tonight
By dev trash (Thu Feb 11, 2010 at 10:14:29 PM EST) (all tags)
I was watching Jeopardy and it was College week.

1.  What, besides 'I swear' is acceptable when being sworn in etc.  I affirm was the answer.  Not a soul even rung in.
2.  Later, on a daily double, an easy one, the answer was what four headed muscle gets worked while biking.  Guy was utterly clueless.  Quadriceps being the answer.

If these are the best and brightest, we're fucked.

< Drat. Did I leave the window open? | Winter is Coming >
Two things stood out to me tonight | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
They're not by notafurry (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Feb 12, 2010 at 03:10:37 AM EST
As I recall from watching a tryout, the college week contestants are mostly the "I'm at college for the experience!" types. I'm sure there are exceptions.

Also, since it's basically a trivia quiz show, is it really selecting for the best and the brightest or for those who remember trivia well?

quiz bowl by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 12, 2010 at 09:47:18 AM EST
The people I knew who did quiz bowl in college were generally terribly bright people, usually knowledgable in whatever they were majoring in but also having a good, broad base of random knowledge. So, yes, they're good at trivia, but they're also fairly bright people. It's hard to retain that much knowledge if you don't synthesize it in some way.

Yep by barooo (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 12, 2010 at 11:02:47 AM EST
I went to high school with someone who placed second in the 1997 college jeopardy tournament.  We competed in scholastic bowl together in high school, and he's one of the smartest all-around people I've ever met.  Incredible math ability, great history knowledge, a good writer and went on to major in journalism.

Perhaps the bar is now lower.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I wouldn't have gotten the affirm one. by Beechwood 45789 (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 12, 2010 at 10:02:25 AM EST
And the quad would have been a guess based on the linguistic root thing rather than me actually knowing that the quad gets worked when biking.

"I affirm" by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 12, 2010 at 11:58:37 AM EST
That was designed to coddle free-thinkers and Quakers and all right-thinking American's deny its existence!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Alex touched on this! by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Feb 12, 2010 at 07:25:14 PM EST
Alex is quite the American.

Click
Don't forget the Jehovah's Witnesses! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Feb 13, 2010 at 02:55:43 AM EST
I've administered oaths to them, and they get all stabby when you ask them to swear to the oath, so we'd fall-back to the affirmation for them.

the best and brightest by duxup (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 12, 2010 at 01:47:58 PM EST
Amen.  OMG they're almost ####ing idiots it seems.  I'd do a respectable job in that tournament iMO..

Maybe it is a trick to get competing nations to dial back their educational efforts holy if this is what America has I think we can afford to take a few weeks . ..  months, you know forget it some of these guys are morons!

____