Print Story Problems setting up the Wii for internet?
By frog (Mon Feb 01, 2010 at 03:52:09 PM EST) (all tags)
It looked easy. It won't work. Do you have to totally disable any and all security setttings at all to get a Wii to be able to go online?

I followed all the directions the person on the phone gave me step by step and feel like just returning the whole thing to the store. They told me they will give me a call back in 2-3 days. Anyone else had problems doing Wii set up to do online gaming?

< Sore wrists, body image, etc. | In which the 70's big diet is soon to end. >
Problems setting up the Wii for internet? | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Works fine with WSA-PSK for me by marvin (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Feb 01, 2010 at 04:07:41 PM EST
I don't think WSA2 works though.

I think by barooo (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Feb 01, 2010 at 07:47:45 PM EST
what you said.  I had to change my encryption settings to get it to work.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
No problems for me by Herring (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 04:18:33 AM EST
But then I still have WEP set becuase of the boy's DS. I rely on the fact that at least one neighbour has a totally unsecured setup.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I drew the line at the DS by marvin (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 12:14:37 PM EST
I'm not opening my network just for one device, and WEP is the same as open these days. My kids complain a bit, but since I grew up without a DS, I figured that they would survive being so disadvantaged as to grow up without an internet connection for their DS.

I am a terrible parent, forcing them to make do with the 2 laptops, 3 desktops, Wii, and PS3 which are all connected to the internet. The guilt is overcoming me.

Yeah, but by Herring (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Feb 02, 2010 at 12:52:04 PM EST
there's stuff where the Wii and DS work together - like games where you can draw things on the DS and sent to the Wii and things.

OK, it's a crappy rule, but I reckon to protect against burglary, you just need to look more secure than next door.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

They want me to use WEP by frog (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Feb 03, 2010 at 03:19:50 PM EST
As far as your DS. You can have them try hot spot connect depending on where they are visiting. It can be hit or miss some places. The DS is quite the handy distraction when one has kids stuck in traffic or visiting relatives.

Some parents are giving their 3-4 year olds Dsi's setting the new standard there is no such a thing as too young for some of these mega pricey toys. When I spoke to Nintendo about age suggested range for their Ds product they said as long as they kid can find joy in trying to play it then the thing is age appropriate.

When your kid has a  Dsi and cell phone at 4 , I wonder what do you give them when they turn 6? The Dsi can run close to $200 with tax.

I remember back in the day when I was 4 and playing Candy Land was exciting.  No kid wants to play Candy Land any more.

Mine was pretty straightforward by technician (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Feb 01, 2010 at 07:35:03 PM EST
and I use WPA2 Personal.

If it isn't working, you should definitely get it checked out. It should be as easy as it looks.