Print Story I like being home...
By LilFlightTest (Mon Dec 27, 2010 at 10:32:04 PM EST) (all tags)
I appreciate that I get to not work this week. Christmas summary, etc.

The boy survived his first Christmas and all the hullabaloo that goes with it. He's still sleeping it off, though- too much visiting, not enough napping. He's in bed right now still having his third nap of the day, I suspect he might just stay asleep. well, actually, I'd like him to wake up just long enough for me to put the overnight diaper on him, otherwise I'll need to change his jammies and sheets during the night. As expected, he played with the box and the wrapping paper more than the actual toys that first day. He's also a big fan of balls- two of his new toys came with ball-shaped objects, and he's spent a lot of time chasing those around the floor. His Grandma got him an alphabet toy that has a few different modes, one of which is to make the letter sounds when you push the appropriate letter. Of course, the "adults" immediately set about trying to sound out profanity. and, interestingly enough, it won't let you. any other words you want are fine, but press F, U, and then C, and on pressing C instead of sounding the letter it laughs and claims that that tickles. The boy also got a bunch of clothes, which is good, considering that he's outgrown pretty much all the 12 month stuff we have...

yep, my 8 month old is about to be in 18 month clothes. Sweet Jebuz he's huge. Put him next to his cousin, who's 3 weeks younger, and he looks even bigger. Or she looks tiny. not sure which. She's a bit more advanced in some stuff than he is- which is not to say that he's behind, he's progressing just fine in all areas, but she's a girl, which gives her more...motivation, I guess. Boys tend to be just a smidge lazy. He's extremely smart though, cognitively I think he's a bit ahead, which gives him the intelligence to realize he doesn't have to do some of the stuff she does just because she can. He's just now beginning to crawl with his belly off the ground. He's always been physically able, just never saw the need. He does it now because it hurts to drag himself over the threshold of the baby gate.

We've also begun to learn about chunky food. We tried those little puff snacky things, broken into bits, and he likes them, but he tends to lose track of them in his mouth after a couple, and then gags and pukes. So, after a few tries over the past few weeks/days, he now can mostly reliably keep them where they need to be to be gummed to death and swallowed. Yay, learning.

In the e-book reader department: I settled on the Kindle. My wonderful husband got me one for Christmas, and I love it. There are a few features I sort of wish it had, but nothing that actually annoys me- more of a "hmm, that might be cool" sort of feeling. I've been grabbing a bunch of free books, the only issue we're having so far is what to do if we both want to read the same book. Yeah, we can use bookmarks, but I like the feature that takes you directly to where you left off in a particular book. It'd be neat if it had profiles that would remember where we each were, but eh. again, not the end of the world.

Why does it seem that everyone around me is pregnant? Several friends, coworkers, family members, etc. Emotions are weird things- I almost feel like there's this exclusive club I'm not part of. Which is dumb, I have an awesome little boy and I'm not ready for another one yet, so it's not really like I WANT to be pregnant and I'm not, yet I sort of feel that same kind of envy. There's a weird shift in how people respond to pregnant women. It doesn't matter how many children you have or have recently given birth to, if you're not actively gestating you're not as important. I suppose that makes sense in a way, protect and pamper the bearers of the "tribe's" future. As much as I understand all this logically, emotionally is a different story. To sum up, I'm not pregnant, am not trying to be at this moment, yet it still grates on me that I feel excluded from "the mommy club".

I should go attach myself to a suckbot. I'm taking advantage of being home all week to try to make my production less pathetic. Trying to pump every hour or so, with longer sessions each time. Also, taking large quantities of fenugreek again. It may not work, and if it doesn't help at all then I'm probably going to just quit, because an ounce at each pumping just doesn't seem worth it. Fortunately, I think it might be working, because I'm beginning to get almost an ounce every hour. Not that you guys really wanted an in-depth story about milk, but you got one anyway.

< Christmas fun | I've had enough of 2010 >
I like being home... | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
kindle by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Dec 27, 2010 at 10:58:26 PM EST
yeah, I just ordered one.

I still need a cover by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Dec 27, 2010 at 11:28:06 PM EST
I have to pick one out yet though, and I want to use it as is for a little longer to have the experience with it to know what kind would annoy me and what wouldn't.
---------
I feel your pain & pride. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 12:22:57 AM EST
My daughter was 24" long at birth and just kept growing, beanpole style. I was always having to buy her new outfits. Yes, me, not her mother.

mid 30s? by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 04:24:14 AM EST
If so, then probably everyone is pregnant and you're not just imagining it;)

Also, the importance of pregnant women is a little scary - it doesn't seem to be about the woman at all. Total strangers feel free to give all kinds of unverified advice in a way they wouldn't if the women were, say, working on a laptop. This kind of thing makes me quite relieved I am not in the mommy club and should I ever be, I doubt I would cope with it at all well.

late 20s by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 09:30:26 AM EST
for me and about half. the other half is early 30s, and on their 2nd or 3rd.

everyone feels qualified to dispense medical advice to pregnant women. Example: I got the evil eye when I walked into a bar to play darts with a friend. Apparently being in a bar means you're gonna get drunk.

---------

My new favorite thing by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 09:43:53 AM EST
I'm really loving how all the random strangers commenting on my pregnancy all say with a gaping mouth, "Are you SURE your due date is in March and not early January??!!"

Also, when people find out it's not your first, they don't dispense the advice.  It's refreshing.

ugh by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 10:17:59 AM EST
Do they think you can't count?
And why doesn't pregnancy come with deathray eyes?

I was all out front by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 11:19:45 AM EST
so I got similar comments. My belly was huge. I also know people who have full term babies who don't look like they could be much farther than about 6 months. what the hell.
---------
Happy pregnant women by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 09:45:37 AM EST
make me angry and resentful.  Even when I'm between pregnancies I feel this way.  At Thanksgiving I learned that my cousin feels the same way, and it hasn't gone away over time (her youngest is 12).

For 12 YEARS? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 10:27:56 AM EST
She needs serious therapy.

more like 16 by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 12:14:54 PM EST
since her oldest is 16.  i don't blame her one bit, but i'd like to think that i'll be able to ignore it at some point.

I hope you do. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 03:24:43 PM EST

I felt decent for about two months. by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 11:15:23 AM EST
The first 5 involved constant nausea. The last two-ish I was in constant pain and exhausted.

what annoys me more than happy pregnant women is the ones that imply that if you have anything other than an easy happy pregnancy and delivery, you must be doing it wrong.
---------

A little secret by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Dec 29, 2010 at 01:07:10 PM EST
Mrs. FT is, in darker moments, angry and resentful at any and all pregnant woman.  While she acknowledges the difficulty many women face in their pregnancies, the fact that she was never able to become pregnant is quite the sore spot for her.

Still, as you yourself pointed out to me, the fact that OTHER PEOPLE have it worse doesn't invalidate your feelings, and I'm certainly not trying to invalidate your feelings, just giving another data point.

no need by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Dec 29, 2010 at 04:03:54 PM EST
my mother drives that point home to me constantly.  "you have no idea how lucky you are, so many women can't ever get pregnant at all!"

the time Mrs. FT called when I was pregnant with The Dude, i felt a bit awkward - I was totally excited, but felt bad because I knew I had the thing that she wanted.  :(  coming to terms with the "unfairness" of life just sucks sometimes.

I get that by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Dec 29, 2010 at 07:29:56 PM EST
for awhile we were unsure if we could...so I understand how much that sucks, but at the same time, can't imagine knowing I never could.
---------
Fud by duxup (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 02:33:16 PM EST
"instead of sounding the letter it laughs and claims that that tickles"

Well played Mr. Toy designer...

Our little guy when he got solid food would shove so much food in his mouth that it would get all stuck and he couldn't eat.  He would cry.  I'd pry it out.... and he would go and shove too much food in again and cry.  A number of times I felt like we were at the end of the movie War Games and I was thinking "Learn!  Learn damn you!"

____
so far I haven't had to deal with that by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 03:33:52 PM EST
i've really only given him the puff things, and I haven't really had him feed himself, just because he's not one of those kids who stuffs everything in his mouth. He prefers to feel and look at the things he picks up, so getting him to understand that it's edible and it's OK to put thinks in his mouth is a little difficult, and I don't really have time to wait for him to throw them around and THEN figure out it's food.
---------
Ah by duxup (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 03:40:35 PM EST
We've been lucky I guess with figuring out food.  Once we put something to his mouth he opens up and tries it, pretty much after that he gets that it is food and remembers.   He can't remember some things but anything he figures out is food he remembers.

____
for him by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 03:53:07 PM EST
he gets that it's food, when I stick it in his mouth. but when i take the same thing and set it on his tray for him to pick up, he'll pick it up and look at it, then crush it, and toss it on the floor. if I take it from his hand and put it in his mouth, again, he'll eat it, but he won't put it in his own mouth.

as is, I'm just happy he's learning how to manage chunky things.
---------

Weird by duxup (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 04:03:47 PM EST
I guess different kids have different motivations, come to think of it my dude did mix play and food fairly often at first with puffy food, although even after crushing or moving stuff he always... tried to eat it.

____
He's not very orally motivated by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #20 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 05:17:44 PM EST
he likes to look at and touch things much more than he likes to put them in his mouth. Although, one of the very first things he did with the colored blocks he got for Christmas was put them in his mouth. We suspect they looked like they might have different flavors based on color.
---------
flavored blocks by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 06:17:07 PM EST
Wow, that's a million dollar toy idea.

lazy?!?! by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Dec 28, 2010 at 03:17:27 PM EST
We are not!

Click
Just one adult by nstenz (2.00 / 0) #25 Tue Jan 04, 2011 at 04:06:22 PM EST
What else was I supposed to do with it?

I like being home... | 25 comments (25 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback