Print Story Mr. Plow
By duxup (Mon Dec 20, 2010 at 10:24:27 PM EST) (all tags)
Another substantial snow fall again today.  This is about the 5th (local weather folk say 7th) snowing with a notable amount of accumulation (about ~6 inches in my book) this year.  This time I was ready!

The first run went well.  I'd take a photo of my handy work outside but it was dark by the time I got a chance.  I'll try to remember to do that a husiary later.
< chance | A Day in the Life -- You CAN be too careful >
Mr. Plow | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Like by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Dec 20, 2010 at 11:13:42 PM EST
There's a fortune waiting for you in Scotland. The downside is the deep-fried haggis.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

I would argue that's one of the upsides. by Zoomzoom (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Dec 20, 2010 at 11:26:37 PM EST
Or at least the Haggis Pakora is.  Still deep fried, so acceptable to us Scots.

Samosas or STFU by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Dec 20, 2010 at 11:31:21 PM EST
It's worrisome when a "restaurant" advertises their chips as deep-fried.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Deep fried haggis balls are delicious. by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 08:13:16 AM EST
Battered haggis slices, not so much. Definitely not a patch on a good saveloy, mind.

I'm more impressed that you have a hand truck. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 12:49:04 AM EST

*I* have a hand truck and live in an apartment by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 07:16:35 AM EST
I had one until the French chick I lent it to had it stolen, but I'm getting a new one.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

Is she hot? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 11:08:18 AM EST
I'm not concerned about her body odor, I just assume they stink. You know the drill, man. Start uploadin.

Indeed by duxup (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 11:33:07 AM EST
The hand truck is insanely handy.

____
Aw, what a cute little snowblower by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 08:43:46 AM EST
With the memories of the big snow behind me, and the cold weather starting to freeze the lake and shut off the snow, I'm starting to forget why I wanted one.

hey. by clock (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 09:20:43 AM EST
my brother just got a snow blower and he avoided the craftsman because of the price and blah, blah, blah.  BUT!  you might want to read up.  he said something out people in MN and IA not digging it because the ethanol content of the gasoline up yonder did wacky shit that made you have to run it half-choke.

sounds like internet bullshit to me, but hey, i get to share a snowblower anecdote...so there ya go.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Craftsman by duxup (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 09:46:35 AM EST
I went with the consumer reports recommended blower for the two stage size I was buying.  It seemed priced about the same as others although I got mine at a %20 off sale.

There is a note about the ethanol content in the manual.  Right now MN is at that point and has some plans (although based on a bunch of contingencies) to increase the ethanol %.  The Internet is full of ethanol % yammering but I've no idea what is really a problem or not.  I'll just keep plowing away for now.

____
rust, corrosion, hygroscopic by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 10:09:31 AM EST
just to name a few.. Even with Stabil in it, you can rust out a gas tank, screw up carbs etc with ethanolized fuel.

This ain't BS, it's simple chemistry.

Eh... by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 10:32:12 AM EST
It's true, higher ethanol content is an issue.  Seafoam helps.

It's more of a problem with older small engines.  The newer ones are designed to handle it better. Here's Briggs and Stratton's advice on the issue.

Gedvondur

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
older engines .. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #18 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 12:36:00 PM EST
haha. My "youngest" engine is the lawn mower at 11 years. Next is the chipper/shredder at 18, then the tiller at around 22.

Heh yes by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #21 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 04:17:58 PM EST
I hear you.  My snowblower engine is an about 20 years old 8hp Techumseh.  Have an 11 year old 6hp Briggs and Stratton Quantum on the push mower. I have a 2.5hp Briggs and Stratton on the power edger, but that gets run for about 5 hours a year. Not sure what is on the 2 cycle gas weedeater.

When I buy a new snow blower (who knows when that will be) I want one with the Subaru Snow-Force motor on it, but I will likely end up with the Briggs and Stratton that Ariens sells on most of their units.

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
1971 Jacobsen here by houser2112 (4.00 / 2) #22 Mon Dec 27, 2010 at 05:24:16 PM EST
And boy, does she purr.  Dad took good care of her before handing her off to me.

Oh I forgot by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 10:38:25 AM EST
I wanted to link to Seafoam for anyone that wasn't familiar with it.

Sea Foam, when used in gasoline (you can use it in oil too) dries and stabilizes.  Awesome stuff, I use it in all my small engines.  I add it right to the can when I get gas.  I also use it in my 1971 Buick Centurion convertible.  Common uses are inboard and outboard motors, ATVs, snowmobiles.... Awesome stuff.

Gedvondur

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
I thought the issue was heat by duxup (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 10:44:19 AM EST
From what I read a lot of folks are actually doing testing to see what happens.  I don't doubt bad stuff would happen, but the testing would seem to imply in piratical terms how much / what will happen is still a question.

____
Lawsuits filed by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #17 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 12:06:45 PM EST
over raising the allowable ethanol to 15%. From The WaPo

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yeah by duxup (2.00 / 0) #20 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 01:49:42 PM EST
That and I wish you could somehow file a lawsuit that the ethanol stuff is driven not by some eco friendly energy sensible policy, rather just some dudes who like handouts from the gov.

____
(Comment Deleted) by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 09:24:55 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by Gedvondur

I don't have any goddamn snow. by me0w (4.00 / 1) #19 Tue Dec 21, 2010 at 01:32:09 PM EST
And I'm pretty fucking pissed about it. WHERE IS MY SNOW?!?!

Mr. Plow | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback