Print Story An A and an Unexpected B
Misc.
By atreides (Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 02:39:01 PM EST) (all tags)
Joe College continues and what not!

So, this semester, I only had time for a History Class (in which, I, to nobody's surprise, got an A) and Pre-Calculus. The B in PreCal was a bit surprising. Over the last few months, I haven't had lots of time to devote to study for obvious reasons. I managed to tread water for a while despite blowing a test relatively badly. The birth was the day before the last class before the final exam. By that point, I was content to fight for a C. But, as one of my D&D buddies often says when it looks like you've botched a roll, "count it up." After the final exam (on which I did well), I ended up with a 79.6 average which got rounded up to an 80, therefore a B by the hair of my chinny-chin-chin. Next semester, I'm taking a bunch of low hanging fruit requirements (the second half of History, a couple of short semester Govt classes) that are all online so I can be about the house to help with the Duchess or the Despoina or whatever. Assuming, of course, that I don't have a job in the near future which, as much as I'm trying, I'm losing hope of, but that's a different story for another time so I press on.

Has anyone here ever taken a Calculus class during a summer session? I'm thinking about and I want to get a good idea if it will be as rough as I think it might be...

I've been sick the last few days. Sinus crud of some kind. I think someone gave it to the Despoina who gave it to me. Lots of running noses and some coughing for her, congested sinuses for me. She's over it and I think I'm at the end of it so yeehaw for that. Sick sucks.

The Despoina Pedigree Project continues apace. Looks like I've found people who have traced certain parts of certain ancestors back to the old Country (UKia). I've found a possibly illegitimate daughter of the Earls of Sefton, a butcher from York, a Doctor of Divinity from Oxford and some other stuff. I also found her a Revolutionary War ancestor who may have served at Lexington and Concord and who was definitely at Bunker/Breed's Hill. Heck, get some better documentation and her entrance into the DAR is assured...

Also starting a project for the Duchess. At the Welsh Girl's baby shower for the Despoina, a bunch of friends and family wrote little notes for the Despoina with the intention to open one for her each year on her birthday from 5 to 20. Well, there was no shower for the Duchess and it would be wrong not to have something like that for her. So I'm looking to hook that up. It's going to take some time since some of the people I need for this are not local, but it will be done and it will be worth it. Patience, as it were...

And, for now, that is all.

< las vegas | I haven't completely forgotten you.... >
An A and an Unexpected B | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The DAR! by clock (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 02:47:20 PM EST
My grandmother (paternal) was in that which means The Dudette is in like Flynn!  Pretty exciting stuff...maybe...or something.

Keep up the grind.  I've never done a summer calc class, but the summer classes that I did do kicked my ass because they jam all of that shit into 6 weeks or something.  And for the record, teaching them is harder than taking them.  But teaching one and taking one is a recipe for insanity.

Rock on!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

The MIT opencourseware by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 02:55:10 PM EST
calculus lecture notes aren't bad... although they aren't the Mattuck version, which are much better...

Calculus in the summer by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 03:17:15 PM EST
I assume that it's a short-semester?  My university always did short semesters in the summer.  If so, I think it comes down to your comfort level with math in general and how much time you can dedicate.  I usually liked summer courses because they tend to involve less work than a full semester (over the course of the entire semester - obviously it's more per week).  If you think you'll struggle with the class or get sidetracked, you'll get behind fast and it's a lot harder to make up; but if you feel you can keep up, it's a great way to go.

yeah, less homework... by gzt (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 05:28:11 PM EST
...but more expectation that you'll learn the stuff on the syllabus without homework, since they won't cut stuff out of the syllabus (usually). So if you're the sort that picks stuff up well, doesn't like howework, and does well on tests, it might work well. If you're slow at picking up the subject, though, you might get steamrolled.

you might want to ask more recent students by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 10:19:30 AM EST
but I remember calc 1 being relatively easy and calc 2 surprising you with its nastiness. This is largely due to the first being about derivation (extremely straightforward with few rules) and the second being about integration (much less straightforward, lots of rules, not always possible to compute in the real world). Note that for calc 3 (MATH241 at UMD), the difficulty goes back down: the course centers on multivalue equations which means you just do the same thing you did in earlier courses three times (once for each variable).

A summer course in derivation isn't too bad. Don't assume that if you breeze through a semester in the spring you can get through a summer semester on the next course.

Wumpus

Indeed by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 10:56:01 AM EST
Calc 1 is much easier than Calc 2 and Calc 3 is usually easier than both.  Calc 2 can be a bad, evil, naughty class.

Yup by barooo (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 12:03:33 PM EST
Calc I I felt like there were a couple things I didn't really get until much later but it took almost no effort to get a C (it was in a semester with a bunch of other shit that was kicking my ass so I didn't put in the time to prep for the final) and I deemed that acceptable at the time.

Calc II was a motherfucker, and even devoting time and effort to it I got what would be a C+ in a plus minus system.

Calc III I put about 10 hours of work into for the entire semester and got a B. I literally only attended classes to go to the hour exams and the finals.  The TA was worthless and U of I had this awesome system in the math department where your grade for the semester was EITHER a weighted average of 20% per each hour exam and 30% for the final and 10% for homework OR 100% of the final, whichever was higher.  So you could halfass the class then get an A or B on the final and get an A or B for the class.  I think the only exception was if you missed an hour exam; missing an hour exam I believe was an automatic F.  I used this to get an A in a couple of math classes where I had a cumulative grade of a C.

I would say Calc I as an adult with no previous calc experience, in a shortened summer semester, is asking for a world of shit.  Especially if pre-calc wasn't a no-brainer, or at least an easy B.  Especially especially if you have 2 kids and marital strive and other stresses in your life.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I agree. by ni (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 12:25:19 PM EST
I would say Calc I as an adult with no previous calc experience, in a shortened summer semester, is asking for a world of shit.  Especially if pre-calc wasn't a no-brainer, or at least an easy B.  Especially especially if you have 2 kids and marital strive and other stresses in your life.

Unless you basically already know what the course is going to tell you, taking it during the summer sounds pretty dodgy.

As well, in Canada, at least, many highschool students get taught basic calculus (I was). Further, a significant portion of the people taking it in the summer session have probably already taken it before, and dropped it or failed, so they may be far more familiar with it than you are.

Back! Back! Stupid hyperbolic math by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 11:41:53 AM EST
I hated calc 2. Surprisingly I found thinking in 3D for calc 3 to be much easier than TanH functions. Actually got a B in that one.

This happened to me too. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 10:54:32 PM EST
Calc II touched me in the swimsuit area.

a Calculus class during a summer session by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 06:03:08 PM EST
Figure 5 hours a day, including study time, but not including interruptions, for 8 weeks...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Good work! by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 06:25:44 PM EST
It's tough getting shit done with children afoot, you're doing well.
*twinkle*twinkle*

what wiredog said by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 08:12:03 PM EST
Summer courses are closer to immersion than regular terms. Figure one week per meeting and meeting two or three times per week.

If you've got the time to do one week of homework between course meetings, it's a great way to immerse your self in the subject.

Cicero, The Republic
No to summer calc by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 01:27:04 PM EST
Take your intro calc during a full semester so that you have lots of time for everything to sink iun and for questions to form. Take the summer to brush up on trig (even if it's just watching all the Khan Academy videos). I know you want to do this but some things need more time, especially the ones you don't want to get away from you within 5 years.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

An A and an Unexpected B | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback