Print Story las vegas
Drink
By misslake (Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 09:55:15 PM EST) vagina full of chuckwallas, dollar draft beer, MissTrish's eyes (all tags)
"Have a great trip, keep an open mind in viewing this crazy place.
Pa"

i am in las vegas. it is indeed a crazy place. i am glad for my father's warning.

tomorrow MissTrish gets married.
alas, not to me.

it's strange how real and solid the giant hotels and eiffel tower and castles look, but how fake, how much like painted backdrops the real mountains look behind them.

it's some kind of super stimulus effect i guess, everything in the strip is bigger, brighter, shiner, blinkier and much more real than the real things.

but when you touch the statues at cesar's palace and lean on the rocks by the waterfalls, it's all just fake plaster and resin. hollow.

today i put 1$ on blackjack and played until i had 3$.
i narrowly avoided the small man in the leprachaun suit hawking out front of the fake irish themed casino. that was a close call, i had to dodge one of the hawker-pimps with the discount hooker coupons on one side and cling onto MissTrish's arm.
"you'll feel better once we have some dollar shots of bailey's" she assured me.

there are cycads, palms, lantanas, oleanders and that nice pine with the long soft needles.
i went and saw the flamingo hotel's flock of captive flamingos.

i was not looking forward to coming to las vegas at first. the only gambling i have ever enjoyed was going to the horse races and putting dollar bets on the horse with the funniest name with friends after highschool. even then, i wasn't into the gambling, i just liked watching the horses run and the crowd get excited.
i don't like resorts, tourists, buffets, or the other luxury trappings of vacations.
i talked to people at work, and my family.
"it is actually impossible to not have a good time in vegas. don't worry. you will enjoy yourself despite all that" was the general advice.

after the wedding, we are heading out to see the desert. i plan to make friends with a joshua tree, a chuckwalla and a road runner.
we'll visit the hoover dam, and then the grand canyon.

i'm having a good time.

now, it's time to change into a cocktail dress and go to dinner.

< Attention Austin HuSi & SXSW infidels | An A and an Unexpected B >
las vegas | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
misstrish is getting married in Vegas! by Driusan (4.00 / 7) #1 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 10:02:44 PM EST
Does she know to who yet, or is she just going to play it by ear?

Vive le Montréal libre.
I hope she's not got anyone planned. by ambrosen (4.00 / 3) #8 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 04:45:59 AM EST
I've just bought tickets to fly out today in the hope of being in the right place at the right time.

Hey, wait, I mean congratulations! by ambrosen (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 04:50:33 AM EST
I hope you all have a wonderful celebration, and wish MissTrish and MrTrish all the best for their future life together.

Give misstrish... by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 10:11:03 PM EST
our best wishes and congratulations!

And enjoy the desert. It was high summer the one time I was there.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

You two are sorely missed. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 10:24:26 PM EST
Have fun in the sandbox, dears.

The last time by technician (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 10:26:35 PM EST
I was in Vegas, it was quite a difference from the previous time. That city changes itself every few months, flushing the things that don't catch the eye, retaining things that do. When I was a child and my father lived there, the mob was still in charge, though it was the very tail end of their reign. The whole of the place felt like a ship in a bottle, with lights.

The last time, it felt like a diorama in a museum. A brilliant and beautiful in it's own right artifice of some distant echo of some thing I one saw as a child, a sparkling light ornament hanging from a tree.

Be careful there in your cocktail dress. True beauty has no place in so much artificial crazy. We're certain of this.

Don't miss the Venetian. by atreides (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 10:27:03 PM EST
When you get inside to the canals, you could swear it's daytime... You'll understand when you see it. It's pretty awesome.

Enjoy the wedding! And enjoy Disneyland in Hell!

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Have fun in vegas. by MrMole (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 10:48:45 PM EST
Only time I was there I was underage to gamble.  :-(

Congratulations to MissTrish and hope all the best in her future.

Ooo, where's my hat? by hulver (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 02:42:41 AM EST
Give my Congratulations to MissTrish!
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Congrats to MissTrish! by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 07:40:56 AM EST
Wonderful news, and from clock and Stacky, we learn that Vegas is the ideal place to begin a very happy life together. I wish all the best for them both!
At the dam by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 09:18:26 AM EST
see if the overpass/bypass is completed.. If you don't have fear of heights, just looking at the overpass from the dam's spillway will dazzle you.

Hope you don't get snowed in at the Canyon. Great hiking, awe-inspiring place.

Completed a few months ago by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 10:41:12 AM EST
I've been out there every few months for business and it's been fun watching the two sides come together and now open. A marvel of engineering.

Vegas is the height of USian Bad Taste by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 12:53:00 PM EST
8 months out of the year the climate is great, in summer it's a slice of hell.

The Strip at night. What can you say? Other than the subject of this comment... But still...

Valley of fire State Park is where Cpt. Kirk's death scene was filmed.

Go a couple hours north on I-15 to Zion Park. Beautiful this time of year, not too crowded.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Have fun! by R343L (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 12:56:28 PM EST
Vegas is a strange place but interesting in small doses I think. Congratulations to Trish and all that.

Hoover Dam was much cooler before they closed it off and stopped doing hardhat tours. I imagine it still looks awesome. If you have time, I find meteor crater (a couple hours east of Flagstaff) to be pretty awe-inspiring -- the only poem I wrote in high school (and kept a copy of) is about it.

I will also by chance be in Flagstaff visiting my sister this weekend ... I will like to think I will feel the same wind as you. Have fun!

I think that I will never see by Captain Tenille (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 04:12:20 PM EST
A poem as lovely as a meteor crater-y.

---------

/* You are not expected to understand this. */

The only thing I like about Vegas by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 01:19:22 PM EST
is the music. Find a live music show if you can.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

shows in general by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 02:34:19 PM EST
Saw an awesome Cirque du Soleil one when I was there for a business trip.

Also, food in general. There is so much variety (with a bit of a surcharge of course).

Whee! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 02:00:16 PM EST
I have never been on the Vegas train but hope one day to marvel at the excess therein. Have a super duper time. Give MissTrish hugs and congratulations. Say hello to the lizards and scorpions for me.
*twinkle*twinkle*

there is no better place to get married! by clock (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 08:38:56 PM EST
that's my opinion on that, but it's a little on the biased side.

we didn't think we'd like it at all, but there were things that were genuinely interesting. i think i'd go back...and not even for the hookers!  fo' 'rilla!

enjoy yourself!  send our best to the happy couple!  and tell the desert I miss her.  it's been a long time...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Vegas by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 09:24:31 PM EST
yeah, super easy place to have fun regardless of background. Just don't spend more than about 60 hours there, which it sounds like you didn't.

las vegas | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback