Print Story Attention Austin HuSi & SXSW infidels
Husi Stock
By johnny (Mon Dec 13, 2010 at 08:30:34 PM EST) (all tags)
You can't stop it.

You can only hope to contain it.

My proposed panel, "The Self-Publishing Novelist: Report from the Trenches", has been accepted by SXSW.

I'm coming, baby. I iz in yer zip code, fer reals, sometime next March or whenever SXSW is.

I'll be an eminently big big shot, of course, and expect that I'll be spending most of my time with Robert Plant, Alison Krause, whoever the hot new novelist is, Emma Watson, who ever the hot new indy film star is, whoever the hot new band is, and one of Cory Doctorow, Tim O'Reilly, Paul McCartney or Julian Assange.

For old time's sake, however, I will do my best to make myself available for audiences with y'all little people. (Did somebody say BBQ chez the HuSite formerly known as b--x-o?)

By the way, I'll be needing someplace to sleep. Anybody got a couch? (Some have offered earlier, but that was when we were talking much more hypothetically than we are now.)

And finally, anybody know a good dentist who works cheap? I'm considering getting my teeth purtied up before I go for my closeup with Mr. DeMille.

< Now With Wings | las vegas >
Attention Austin HuSi & SXSW infidels | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dentist by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Dec 13, 2010 at 08:36:19 PM EST
The Tufts Dental School does stuff for cheap, I think. I know that with my (Tufts) insurance, most of the stuff is way cheap, and I know some people without dental insurance who have gotten substantial work done there. If you end up in my office neighborhood, let me know and we'll do lunch.

Good luck at SXSW!

Capital idea by johnny (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Dec 13, 2010 at 08:43:22 PM EST
In fact I have an appointment at the Tufts Dental Center in January. Had one in November (made appointment in the summer) but had to cancel, and next open was in January. I've heard good things about it and the price is right, and better still it won't be with the asshole dentist I had been seeing here (why did you have to retire, Dr. S__!!!). But the waits make you think you're in Soviet Russia or maybe Finland, where, according to the Helsinki Complaints Choir, it takes so long to get an appointment with the dentist that the tooth cannot be saved by the time you get there.

You might even be in town during our by technician (4.00 / 2) #3 Mon Dec 13, 2010 at 09:16:25 PM EST
BBQ. Our annual BBQ happens near 3/14.

And yeah, you can stay with us. We'll even give you a room with like an inflatable bed. Or a couch in our library.

We'll be ready. Oh yes. We'll be ready. Oh, and if you can get a guest all access badge.....

cool by johnny (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Dec 13, 2010 at 09:24:05 PM EST
I'll have my people get in touch with your people.

Dates by johnny (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 09:26:05 PM EST
The whole SXSW magilla goes from Thursday, March 10 through Sunday, March 20.

The 14th of March 2011 is a Monday.

I have no idea when I'll be talking or how long I would like to stay. 10 days does seem a bit long for any one crash site. Fortunately I have a few options amongst which to cut & splice.

We're good for quite a few days, by technician (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 09:32:07 PM EST
and the wife's birthday is pi day, so you'll be here for our BBQ. And any luminaries you wish to invite....

everyone should have a library by infinitera (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Dec 15, 2010 at 02:37:48 PM EST
I think that recliners are acceptable substitutes for couches, however.

I've slept on them before certainly, in addition to reading.

Sweet... by atreides (4.00 / 2) #5 Mon Dec 13, 2010 at 11:51:40 PM EST
I've always wanted Welsh Girl to meet a real writer...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Welsh Girl by johnny (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 08:34:23 AM EST
is married to a real writer. So, perforce, she's met one -- unless of course she's a zombie, a possibility I had not considered until just now. . .

I, on the other hand, have always wanted to meet Welsh Girl.

So I think everything is going to work out fine!

You want to meet Welsh Girl by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 09:24:20 AM EST
She is just that cool.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Then, I amend that... by atreides (3.00 / 1) #9 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 10:48:28 AM EST
I want her to meet a serious, accomplished writer.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Can't give you a 4 on this one by johnny (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 11:49:29 AM EST
old bean. You are an accomplished writer. You're just not somebody who tries to make $$ from it.

ANYWAY WE AGREE that it'll be fun to get together next spring.

Modesty doesn't become you... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 02:18:26 PM EST
...but I will (hopefully) have the White Russians on tap, sir.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

now by johnny (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 05:36:28 PM EST
yer talkin'.

Will try to take off 40 pounds between now and then, since as I understand it, every White Russian consumed equals one pound added to body weight.

It would be awesome to commune! by clock (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 10:13:57 AM EST
And yet, the most beautiful girl in the world is set to arrive around the middle to end of March so I will (likely) be entirely occupied.

But this is great news!  Have a great time!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

congratu-effin'-lations! by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Dec 14, 2010 at 09:36:54 PM EST
You deserve some good karma flowing your way.

And if you do end up hanging with Cory, you know what to do.

"Plans aren't check lists, they are loose frameworks for what's going to go wrong." -- technician

Awesome by duxup (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 04:55:27 PM EST
The money should just start rolling in now right?

____
any day now! by johnny (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Dec 24, 2010 at 01:53:42 AM EST
I'll send out a memo as soon as it starts!