Print Story A Dream: Medium-Rare
Films
By tuscoops (Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 08:14:33 AM EST) (all tags)
There have been very few times in my life where a dream not only forced me awake, but inspired me to write. However, I am not a writer, so here's the cliff notes version.

Crazy dream within:

Not sure about you, but I never really have dreams that I'm not engaged in. However, this is one of those dreams, so don't worry about hearing about things that I did or didn't do. This is simply a dream I watched. Also, I literally just woke up and haven't even had my breakfast or tea yet..so please forgive the errors.

I had this dream about a film I "just had to see". I rarely watch tv, and sitting around for a couple of hours watching a movie nowadays is even rarer. However, this movie was supposed to be a ground-breaking film, had tons of good reviews, and everyone told me I needed to watch it. The rest of this dream is the movie.

The scene began with a haggard old wooden drop box of sorts on a counter with a list of things painted on the front that may have at one time been sold. It's one of those with the small slot on top with a hinge top lid. I remember the last one said "Bathables" and the usually grammatically correct person that I am pointed out that it wasn't a real word. I figured they must be referring to bath salts and the like.

Then it showed the family of five: a mother, father, a teenage son, a preteen daughter and another elementary age son, all in handmade, quite unfashionable clothing. They looked out of place in today's world, but then they showed the rest of the building and they fit right in. They lived in a huge warehouse of sorts. Someone had torn away some boards from the roof in one spot and put up some glass in it's place to create homemade skylights of sorts for a greenhouse. Overall, things were quite dingy and old, were handmade, or tinkered with in some way, and more and more as I watched this film I surmised they were living in a post apocalyptic world.

To conserve water, they weren't allowed to flush the toilet on a regular basis. The plumbing worked, but there was no running water, so in order to flush the toilet they would haul buckets of water from a nearby trench, the ones you usually find so close to warehouses. Pigs and chickens ran amok. Soon there were others. Other people, families, etc., passing through the area that would stay at the warehouse with the family to share a few nights of bartering and trade. However, social interaction overall seemed rather limited. However many people were left in this world they lived in were quite few.

At one point it showed the youngest son playing the piano, at his former school. His eyes shut tight as he played the keys loudly. It was in the gymnasium and you could see the students that once were, before the apocalypse,  in the background. All in their current and fashionable clothes...the clothes of our time. And there was certainly a disconnect in what once was to how this boy was now. I assumed they showed those kids as he was imagining the sounds of all the other kids while he played, listless for the social interaction he once knew, and happy he could still go back there to play the piano at times, though there were no kids to play with.

Similarly, his father was shown in a way at his former job. Sitting at his desk, eyes shut, with the former office abuzz around him.

They never really seemed to say how the apocalypse took place, however.

The story continued, people passing through town would stay with the family in their warehouse. Share food, skills, hope. The family was quite popular and well known as a place for people to learn to sew, to learn to manage with less, how to conserve, and so on. However, it seemed that even the family missed their former lives at times and I wondered if they were slowly going crazy.

They showed the boy, back in school, eyes wide open, and yet still imagining the former students. Having interactions with them, playing, and so on.

Then the father, back in his office, eyes wide open and yet still imagining his former coworkers, sharing stories about their families and so on.

Throughout this whole time, they faced adversity on a daily basis: what were they going to plant to eat, how they were going to find it, making new clothes, finding cloth, etc.  That all came to an end when the daughter started her period.

She came to her mother, unsure of what she should use or where to find it. Her mother went to the wooden box on the counter and lifted the lid. Inside was "Thank you" card upon "Thank you" card and some money as well. Her mother gave her a $10 and told her to go to the store and buy some tampons.

That's when the camera panned out, showed the bell in front of the box, the reservation book upon the counter beside it. the keys along the wall in the back and a sign painted on the front of the counter that said "RESORT".

Then it became clear. They weren't living in a post apocalyptic world. They were living today. They weren't going crazy, imagining their former classmates and coworkers. They actually were attending school and still working their day job. Their lifestyle was a choice and they figured that in today's economy everyone needed a little coaching in learning how to live more simply. However, they didn't charge people. They bartered their stay. The drop box list was for things they would barter for and was for suggestions and donations only.

Fin.

Anyway, it's pretty much M. Night meets Orson Welles. And probably my brain telling me I need to live more simply.

Now tea...sorry my brain wasn't awake for the writing of this.

< Thanks Random Strangers! | ba ba ba, fa fa fa >
A Dream: Medium-Rare | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
interesting by tierrasimbolica (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 08:40:50 AM EST
what were your feelings about the family by the time you reached the end of the film (if i may ask)?  just curious.  i surmise they were painted as heroes to a certain extent by the "filmmaker"?

It was pretty impersonal by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #2 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 08:50:12 AM EST
Like watching a documentary about a certain culture and this family just happened to be chosen. It was more about the trials and tribulations of what humanity was supposedly going through and this family was supposed to be a representation of the bigger picture. It was supposed to be more eye-opening than heart-felt. So, I suppose in the "documentary" aspect, it had a touch of the  "Blair Witch Project"..but with better film quality. Just one of those films that you think could be true, but you know it can't be.

Actually by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 10:30:56 AM EST
I suppose, by the end of the movie it could technically be a true documentary, if such a place existed. So instead of going the route of thinking "This movie must be true" the whole time and finding out in the end it's not, you think it must be fiction the whole time and then question if it is true at the end.

Unrelatedly by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #4 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 10:39:30 AM EST
I just brushed my teeth and spit up some blood, despite the fact that I can find no bleeding in my mouth anywhere. WTF?

You have gingivitis. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #6 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 12:17:41 PM EST
Also, I don't think Mr. Wells made any films along a menarche theme.

Maybe that part was inspired by you by tuscoops (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 03:39:01 PM EST
You were the last person I spoke to about girl's periods.

Also, what are you talking about? I thought "Rose bud" was code for "bloody tampon", loss of youth, etc. :P

Anyway, as for the bloody spit, I think I irritated my throat. I spent a few hours the other day in a heavily smoky environment and have been coughing a bit since. However, as far as dental hygiene is concerned, I'm every dentist's best friend. I should get discounts for how many people I refer to my dentist..not so much because I can't stop talking about him, but the number one thing people notice about me is probably my teeth and gums and they always want to know who my dentist is. Also, dentists commend my teeth and gums as well and usually give me a handful of their business cards to hand out to people.

Basically, I hit the genetic lottery on teeth (also vision, but that's another story), though I do brush, floss, and use fluoride everyday as well.

O'Keefe ruined me for flowers. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 10:57:14 PM EST
Now I see vulvas everywhere.

Get some Natrual Dentist by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #9 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 04:34:24 PM EST
Use it.
Aloe Vera for the win.

Click
See my comment to Ammo by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 05:15:21 PM EST
Genetics and consistent care for the win. Unless aloe vera is a defense for second-hand smoke.

it might be by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 07:38:03 PM EST
It seems to be a wonder drug.

Click
Goddamn. by ni (4.00 / 1) #5 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 10:56:49 AM EST
That's a hell of a dream! The surprise-ending is perfect; your dream-brain is quite cinematic.

Package received. Will be in touch post-exams.

I think I've watched too many movies by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 03:27:38 PM EST
I've eased off in recent years...well, probably the last decade or so, I'd say. Though the dream was probably most recently influenced by "The Walking Dead" on AMC and "We Shall Remain" from PBS.

Glad to hear that things arrived intact. Hope it bears you many intoxicated nights and sober mornings. Also, cheers :)

A Dream: Medium-Rare | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback