Print Story Calm before the storm
By jayhawk88 (Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 04:45:29 PM EST) (all tags)
Not this diary, something else

We have an upgrade/server move of our EMR/PM application this weekend. Vendor is doing it, but I'm on call for it, and obviously involved heavily. Backups/lockout of users from the servers begins in an hour, and I'm finding it very difficult to muster the will to do anything productive until then. So, what's going on?

The girls. Developing like I never thought possible. Speaking rudimentary sentences, demonstrating logic and understanding when you explain something to them, etc etc. Nothing unexpected of course, but nevertheless, amazing. Like two Old Faithful's running around the living room.

We did have an adventure this morning. Last night Jenn went to bed early, I stayed up and played Cataclysm (AWESOME!) for a while, and finished up some laundry. At one point I heard a girl coughing, aborted into a slight choking sound. This isn't unusual for a sleeping child of course, sometimes those coughs just sound weird, but I went in to check anyway. Could see it was Kayla that had coughed, saw her squirming a bit, but she seemed fine. I didn't investigate further in fear of waking her up.

Go in this morning to get them up/dressed, and both girls are laying there in pools of their own sick. We had a morning bath, got the sheets off the bed, cleaned up the various blankets/pillows/stuffed animals. Jenn drew the duty as I had to be here today for the upgrade, and by all accounts they're fine today, if a little run down. Mild flu or maybe disagreeable dinner.

Right now we're struggling to figure out a Santa gift. Any suggestions for two year olds appreciated; we already have a kitchen set.

Two seems like kind of an awkward age. It's clear the girls are Turbo-Powered Knowledge Vacuums, but age still limits what parents think we ought to be doing. The other night Jenn hit upon the idea of taking them Chirstmas Light seeing, driving through one of those specially made up areas. By the time we got off work and got out there though, they'd pretty much had enough of the car/the evening. They did OK, but clearly there wasn't full recognition of what was going on, and all things considered they'd have rather been on the couch with a sippy and Dora. We've toyed with the idea of taking them on a weekend trip up to KC as well (Yo Gabba Gabba Live was up there in like Nov I think), until we start mentally imagining what Hour 16 of such a trip would be like. Let alone Hour 44 after a long day on the ride home.

The main problem is that introducing them to the World at Large is so tantalizingly close. Jenn and I are both kind of homebody's, it's not like we're going to take them hiking in the woods like certain Southern Husinites, but things like trips to the Zoo or a walk around the lake or whatever this summer always seemed like they would inevitably slip into "This is no longer fun and/or we may lose control of the situation" territory. Then again, I tend to underestimate what they're capable of handling. I'm not sure if it's just me as a person, or if it's perhaps a symptom of having to keep track of two (the same age) at any given time. Be interesting to see if anyone has done research on this.

Other stuff:

• Cata, as mentioned. When will I ever stop playing WoW? In LK I thought the answer was "After Cata", but right now the answer has to be "Yo, I don't know". Six years and counting, anyway.
  • Civ 5: I've posted about it a couple times, but you know what? I don't mind this game at all. Something about it keeps bringing me back to it. Mostly I wonder if it's just not the interface being one of the best in the series.
  • TV: I've got all episodes of Walking Dead saved up on the DVR, haven't watched them yet. Jenn and I make it a point to watch several shows: Burn Notice, Psych, Warehouse 13, Event, Chuck, others. I think about "cutting the cable" a lot these days. I'm not quite ready to make the leap: Sports keeps me tethered to Cox, and the fact that offerings are spotty from a variety of sources. Again, tantalizingly close though.
  • Chiefs: Playoffs? Surprising to say the least. Not expecting much from them, but I guess you never know.
  • Jayhawks: Meh. Good again of course, haven't really gotten into the team yet. That's what February is for.
< Baby Snow | Work-life balance >
Calm before the storm | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)
Duplo! by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 04:56:21 PM EST
You know, Lego for toddlers.

Dress up stuff maybe, there was a phase where nine year old wore a tutu every day, she might have been more like three.

Duplo is a huge hit around here by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #9 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 01:50:52 PM EST
and has been since he was about 1.5.  He wants to do the real Lego sets now, but doesn't have the dexterity for the small pieces, and gets angry.  Still, we always have at least 1 Duplo tower up at all times.

I skipped WotLK by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 05:00:45 PM EST
But Cata (well, patch 4.0.1) pulled me back in. A month of Northrend is really all anyone needs.

Yeah pretty much by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 05:15:41 PM EST
Redoing the old world was a genius move by Blizz. That alone would keep me for another two years min.

Get them started on Minecraft now. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 05:15:38 PM EST
Mommy and Daddy can help with the crafting patterns.

my friend by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 08:23:52 PM EST
(I think I've mentioned this on here before) has three daughters and they all play WoW with dad. The youngest started when she was 3. I've seen her play (she stands on the desk chair to see the monitor and reach the mouse) and she knows what she's doing.

Water Walks, Soakings by CheeseburgerBrown (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 10:00:24 PM EST
...things like trips to the Zoo or a walk around the lake or whatever this summer always seemed like they would inevitably slip into "This is no longer fun and/or we may lose control of the situation" territory...

The milf and I know a couple who regularly run their twins out on walks. Their small people -- comparably small to your own, if ever so slightly less small -- can amble incredible distances. The parents have their knapsack dealies that are inverse-child shaped, so when the twin(s) get to be irritants they can be hoisted on the back of whichever parent last lost at Scrabble, or whatever.

If you don't like walking in forests, do you go for walking in towns? As a child I always liked walks along waterways, because they have a natural geographic narrative going on. There's a built-in story to a waterway.

Also, all children should be frequently immersed in water. It keeps them obedient, toned and supple.

Science-fiction wallah, storytelling gorilla, man wearing a hat: Cheeseburger Brown.
Where we live by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 07:07:21 AM EST
We actually have a pretty nice pond within walking distance. It's one of those developer created jobs so they could get some cheap and easy drainage and sell a dozen houses with a "lakefront view", but still, it's a nice enough area with sidewalk all around it. This would be perfect but like I say, I just don't quite trust them enough yet. I just need to feel like if I tell them "Don't jump out of the wagon and go running headlong towards the street", that there's enough recognition of words and general understanding there.

When it gets to be spring again, I think we may try to make it a habit.

it's why we like the woods by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 01:55:07 PM EST
The Dude can't really get lost in the woods, and there aren't streets for him to get run over.  We have an arboretum a mile or so away, with a playground, and we go there as much as we can if we can't get out camping.

Of course, The Dude wants to be outside as much as he possibly can.  He gets so frustrated in the summer: it looks great through the window, then you go out and feel the 100+F heat and have to come back in.

Short, focused trips by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Dec 10, 2010 at 10:36:32 PM EST
That's what we did. To the zoo, to the children's museum, to the park - they're old enough to go, but you go in short bursts. Don't plan to spend "the day" at the zoo - plan to spend an hour at the zoo.

Our oldest is now 4 and her brother is about to turn 3, and we're just getting to the point where "a day in the car" is a feasible option - and it's still not a good one without an excellent reason.

The boat is a different story. They get to bring toys, they're free to explore and play rather than being belted into a seat, they can nap or go to sleep without interfering with our ability to accomplish our goals... it works out really well.

xmas, age 2 by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Dec 11, 2010 at 02:02:32 PM EST
we got The Dude a bike.  I trolled Craig's list/the local knockoff and got a bike for $20.  It took far longer than I thought it should, because ALL the bikes out there for sale were Disney Princess ones.  Finally found a red one (who DOESN"T want a red bike?  I always did!) that the former owner (age 5) assured me went really fast.  anyway, in retrospect it wasn't a good idea because The Dude couldn't get the hang of pedaling.  He can do it now, though.

i just got my niece (turns 2 on the 23rd) a Duplo set.  i'm told she loves building things with her current set, so i got her one with lots of critters in it (the Duplo zoo, i think) to accent her creations.

Calm before the storm | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden)