Print Story Well, that was nice.
Zombies
By ana (Fri Nov 05, 2010 at 03:53:17 PM EST) (all tags)
Had a massage. Life is okay. Which is a most excellent improvement.

So what with the accumulation of life stress lately, the knots in my back had knots. So I finally called a person who used to work at my place of business and is now working for herself as a massage therapist. I heartily recommend the experience. She found all the sore spots, leaned hard on them, but not too hard, rubbed up and down the muscles in my back and limbs, and oh my is that nice.

Otherwise, how are things? Life goes on. A combination of carefully not thinking about forever things and some distractions seems to keep me more or less on an even keel.

One of my colleagues pointed out something I'd been ignoring, and made the problem I'd been fretting about for a year or so magically vanish (once we worked through the suggestion). So, whew. I don't have to try to calibrate out that effect that I see in sky-looking data but not calibration source data, and (as it happens) not even all sky-looking data. So that feels good. I can now more or less proceed with a plan, with no known research problems between here and the end of things.

I made a list last weekend of a half-dozen or so meals I know how to cook. So if I'm feeling uninspired, I can look at the list, and say, oh yeah... I haven't done my mother's cashew casserole in forever, I should do that. Or, hey, I have a hunk o swordfish in the freezer; I should get some bok choy and do LinDze's swordfish over bok choy with red wine reduction. All of which avoids the dreaded nexus of interlinked "what do I want to eat this week" and "...that I'll actually find the motivation to cook sometime" and "is it worth cooking, just for myself?".

Inspector dude from the fire department came and approved my boiler, now 15 months on. It's still kind of noisy, but it keeps me warm, so I'm not complaining.

I think I need one of those pill boxes that has 7 rows of 2 cubby holes. Latest med dose: half a pill every other day. How am I going to remember to do that?? Ultimately the end of living independently for a lot of old people comes when they can't manage their meds any more.

Perhaps I'll clip my fingernails tonight and play my guitar. I need to do it more than once a fortnight. And I need to pick out some songs to learn for a variety of moods, so there'll be something I feel like doing, whenever I have the time and inclination.

Speaking of music, after not using it (and getting a different laptop) for several years, I was unsurprised to find that something, either hardware or perhaps a driver) was missing in the chain of stuff I once used to digitize vinyl recordings. It turns out that I have a copy of the Gregorian chant we're learning in the one choir, on vinyl. So after several failures, I ended up using a microphone and garage band in my living room, whilst playing the record on the stereo. And while the cat was going "ooOOooo... you're standing up, you should give me some dinner." You need head phones to pull the cat out of the hiss, but he's there.

Time to set clocks back this weekend. So this time next week it'll already be fucking dark.

My maple tree dropped about 80% of its leaves in the last 2 days. We had several hard freezes in a row and then rain. The lawn is carpeted in red leaves. It's kinda pretty, even though it's an avatar of death.

So the other morning I was leaving for work. The cat went out the back door with me, stretched luxuriantly on the steps, and then bounded across the driveway, only to stop about 8 feet from the far corner. The neighbors have a big daisy plant between the street ends of our driveways. It had birds in it. Calcifer went all slinky, approached very slowly, and then sprang. Birds went in all directions and he came back with nothing, but he seemed pleased with himself.
< what I'm reading | PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT >
Well, that was nice. | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
And tonight... by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Nov 05, 2010 at 07:33:02 PM EST
a gift of a pile of feathers 'n' stuff on the landing. On the carpet (but of course). I guess he caught one.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

"avatar of death" by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Nov 05, 2010 at 07:54:53 PM EST
I'm always thinking about the season of death to come, instead of focusing on the beauty of this season, too.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

I need a massage by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Nov 05, 2010 at 08:09:40 PM EST
I seriously need one. Ugh.
professional or amateur? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Nov 05, 2010 at 08:45:25 PM EST

Click
Go out and buy the Cook's Illustrated cookbook. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Nov 05, 2010 at 10:04:45 PM EST
The Family one, or (if you have spare cash) the Soups and Stews one. Being a scientist you'd like it. Each recipe reads like a lab experiment, and gives good highly repeatable results.

A few weeks back I spent a few hours cooking soups and stews, putting them in single serving tupperwares, and freezing them. Thai curry sauce and italian pasta sauce. Put it into the fridge to thaw in the morning, and have tasty homemade fast food for dinner.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Couple of things.... by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Nov 07, 2010 at 02:50:57 PM EST
I use one of those pill-a-day boxes myself.  It means I get my meds and vitamins on time and in the quantity I should.  Honestly, while the thing does make me feel a bit like an old dude, it really is a godsend.

As to food, here's two recipes that I like a lot and are very easy to make.

Pan Fried Talpia

I know that one is from Sandra Lee, who's food normally tastes like she made it out of cans (she does) but this one is a winner.  Easy to do and damn fast, if the talapia is thawed, which is a requirement.  Pretty fast to make, minimal resources, comes together quickly, especially the sauce at the end.  Not a good re-heat dish, but still pretty damn good.  Be sure to add the parsley, it does make a difference in the sauce.

Lemon Pasta with Roasted Shrimp

This one is from Ina Garten, and in excellent.  Honestly, I don't make the shrimp bit of it all that often.  Shrimp where I live is always frozen pre-cooked, making this difficult.  The lemon pasta is the BOMB.  Many times I will just make some lightly seasoned chicken breasts and serve it with the pasta.  It comes together SUPER quick, so you must have everything ready, including the lemon zest.  Awesome pasta, great reheated and goes with any number of things.

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
Feeding Oneself... by belldandi (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Nov 08, 2010 at 01:15:57 PM EST
When I was primarily cooking just for myself I found I made a lot of bean stews and put it over rice. The ingredients take about forever to go bad, easy to make, lasts awhile for reheats, and tastes can be varied by how much hot sauce (or other herbs/spices) you add to it. I still don't find much enjoyment in cooking; I wish the kids were more partial towards beans!

Well, that was nice. | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback