Print Story A short duxup post
By duxup (Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 04:22:14 PM EST) (all tags)
Who knew it could be done?

Dale Carnegie

Employer offered the opportunity to attend one of those Dale Carnegie seminar things. I wasn't particularly interested in the topic but not opposed to attending, volunteering for stuff at work is a good idea, work is paying, so I chose to volunteer. Two sessions (of 8) in and I give it the "its alright" stamp of approval so far.

Sometimes old people from either side of the family come to visit for a bit. It is nice because SOME of them can watch the baby while Mr. and Mrs. duxup do other things. A recent exchange took place between the old people while one read a book and the other watched TV (turned up LOUD) in the living room and something caught their interest:

Person A: "Oh my god Katie Perry got married on an elephant!"

Person B: "I don't know who that is."

Person A: "She's that girl who sings all those California songs!"

In-Laws

Speaking of those in-laws, Mom and Daddy in-law are coming for Thanksgiving (no big surprise) a good week or more before Thanksgiving. Mrs. duxup parents are old, nearly my grandparents age. They mean well but they just can't help with some things.

One issue (and this is not exclusive to the in-law parents) is that when the boy is fed, doesn't need changing, and is happily playing they they aren't very good at keeping an eye on the baby for Mr. and Mrs. duxup. They will volunteer to keep an eye on the baby, and then a bit later get up to go talk to someone in another room or out of view of the baby who at this point is both fast and curious (alternately they fall asleep on the couch). When they visit it is of course a family get together environment so why shouldn't they just get up and go talk to someone? A: Because you're keeping an eye on the damn kid! This is a concept that I must repeat to a great number of in-laws and my family, it never seems to sink in.

Baby

He is changing into a little boy so fast.

He flips through books on his own (not exactly new there) and examines them with a worried look on his face and then mimics the sounds mommy and daddy make when reading to him. It is adorable although I haven't caught it on video yet.

Also I think I mentioned a bit ago that the little guy can toddle around on his walker toy thing.  Here is the video.

The little guy is going thru another difficult sleeping phase. My theory, growing pains. Little guy seems to have trouble getting comfortable and starts crying in his sleep and eventually wakes up unless at the very least you go in and adjust his blankets (he usually has moved out of them) and rub his back gently a bit. Sometimes he wakes up, sometimes not. When in one of these phases he also talks a great deal in his sleep. In the middle of the night without opening his eyes or even moving he will just shout out some baby talk.

Stupid Stuff I've Experienced Recently

* A "poll monitor" (political dude representing a party or candidate at the poll to watch the voting process) getting chewed out by an election judge because the monitor thought he could wander around and chat up voters in order to "investigate" if they're legally voting. In reality his job is to stand by the judge, only speak to the judge, and can only challenge a voters right to vote if he sees or knows of a legit reason they can not vote. Poll judge put the dude in his place nicely.
* Head marketing dude at workplace did a presentation all about some new company strategy and emphasized how it was not "just about marketing" but he also didn't talk about anything but marketing and couldn't answer any questions about how the strategy impacted anything we do other than marketing.
* I ordered something from Dell's website and signed in to Dell's site using my usual login. They had me give my address. Odd because I order from them all the time don't they have that data? After entering that data they asked if I wanted to use the address I just gave them or the identical address I've used several times before. Wow, Dell keeping that data on hand really saved me time.
* The employer's department newsletter recently (this month's edition) had a section to celebrate some folks employment anniversary. The employer fired a few of them three months ago.

Minecraft

I don't have time to deal with Civ V's garbage. I'll go back to it sometime. In the meantime I've played a little Minecraft. I suck at it, but dang it is bizarrely fun / compelling.

< I dreamed our puppeteer died. | A diary >
A short duxup post | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Generally, Old People get it right. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 04:47:05 PM EST
Resist the urge to be a Helicopter Parent.

Sure by duxup (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 09:05:24 PM EST
However, I'm not sure it is helicopter parenting when the kid really is trying to knock over everything he can / eat all the paper he can find.   Beyond that I let him pull stuff down on himself, run into, and do other things that shouldn't hurt much, I'd just rather be able to make the call on what it is, and isn't.

As for the in-laws, I'm not sure when / if ever they'd return, they're in their 70s and absent minded as all getup.  These are the folks who we will all talk about going out to eat and getting ready to leave now, and one heads to the kitchen to start making dinner.  Also with the TV loud, them loud, it is hard from any other room if he is left alone to keep an ear open for baby activities / crashes.

____
Get down low and babyproof the place. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Nov 04, 2010 at 03:17:56 AM EST
It's a PITA, but it can pay off with active kids.

Baby proofing by duxup (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Nov 04, 2010 at 07:58:01 AM EST
I think it is a myth.  You do what you can but I need light and can't unplug every lamp within reach.

Dude is already starting to watch mommy and daddy open the doors with child locks on them and working at it himself.

____
Agreed here by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Nov 04, 2010 at 08:06:10 AM EST
Don't sleep on the babyproofing. We were overly conservative in keeping the girls penned up/blocked out of areas; a natural reaction to having twins perhaps, but we overdid it (and still do to a certain extent). There for a while they were just always fussy and cranky, didn't want to ever play with the toys, etc. Finally my mom came down for a week, giving me the opportunity to baby-proof the girls room, take down some gates, etc, and all of the sudden it was like, "Oh look, they're going to play tea-party in their room, and push their doll strollers all over the place". They were just hella-bored being stuck in the living room all the time.

minecraft by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 05:02:56 PM EST
I got/paid for it after all the cool kids said it was the hot new shit. I just figured out how to chop down trees before I went to bed last night, though, so I haven't done anything with it yet.

I suggest by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 05:06:02 PM EST
watching X's Adventures in Minecraft on Youtube.

I got in on it late by duxup (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 09:06:45 PM EST
I'm that kind of hip.

As for me,  I can never find enough coal.

Also, this.

____
Try digging near gravel for it. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Nov 04, 2010 at 03:47:46 AM EST
Also, why are duxup's videos always flagged "Not Available on Mobile?"

Mobile by duxup (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Nov 04, 2010 at 08:00:54 AM EST
There is an option on Youtube that says something like "allowed on mobile devices and TV".  I've no idea exactly what that means and being paranoid I just choose no.

If perhaps you have a fancy Android based device you can get past that by installing the YouTube application and pull up the video there.

____
I love his half-splits fall to the floor. by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 06:31:21 PM EST
He is really getting around. And so adorable.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Me too by duxup (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 09:00:47 PM EST
I'm quite happy how he takes falls and other things and doesn't make a big fuss about it (unless he is otherwise likely to get upset, cry).

____
Video Caption/Description Fail by johnny (4.00 / 4) #8 Wed Nov 03, 2010 at 09:56:17 PM EST
I watched cute video. Would like to report some things.
  1. Stroller thing looks like a pinball game on wheels. You failed to mention this.
  2. Son has Mohawk. You failed to mention this. What has happened to my Duxup????
  3. About 15 seconds into video, Mrs. Duxup's cleavage is clearly visible, yet you failed to alert us to this in the commentary. This is not only disturbing, I fear that it may be in contravention of HuSi rules of "usual and customary behaviour" (see, for example, Cheeseburger's essay on same for exemplar of HuSi norms). I'm not going to report it to the editors, but I'm just say'n, yknow? Be careful.
Other than that, cute kid.

Description by duxup (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Nov 04, 2010 at 08:05:34 AM EST
Yeah I had no idea what to call that video, I just punted in the end.
The Mohawk is entirely natural  and much less prominent in person.  Rather it just looks like the hear on the front of his head sticks up.
I admit I'm not a very good cleavage announcer.

____
I'm not one to seek out baby videos by garlic (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Nov 04, 2010 at 10:26:27 AM EST
but mohawk / pinball / cleavage would have sold this video much better to me.

Sounds like he's learning to read. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Nov 04, 2010 at 07:28:43 AM EST
Which will drive some teachers up the wall when he's in school. Other teachers (like the ones I had) will just be thankful that there's one who's happy reading on his own, and won't care if he's reading years above grade level.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

'CÉ™' is for 'Car'. 'Eh' is for 'Elephant' by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Nov 04, 2010 at 08:01:18 AM EST
The puppy also has a VTech First Steps Baby Walker but in the puppy version, and it's primarily awful shades of pink and purple. She could walk on her own but still doesn't seem to trust herself. She's also happy to use damned near anything available which I expect your will soon be doing as well.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

A short duxup post | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback