Print Story More student protests
Educashun
By Phage (Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 07:56:34 AM EST) (all tags)
From the BBC.

"One woman is holding a home-made placard calling for "rich parents for all".

<Kenney Everett>I think there's something in that for all of us.</Kenny Everett&gt

EDIT: When are the beers ?

< More Simpsons | Farage is back on form... >
More student protests | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I certainly can't object to that by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 08:17:36 AM EST
I'm a little confused as to what that's got to do with reduced central government funding of university departments.

Or indeed to a change in payroll deductions after graduation that increases marginal deductions at a point slightly short of the median wage.

My point exactly by Phage (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 08:32:51 AM EST
A humourous banner in a humourless demo.
  1. It actually does make a salient point. i.e. Uni for the rich only.
  2. It's funny - therefore gains profile.
  3. Doesn't involve violence
Prima facie ludricrous/funny, but makes a point.

On the wireless by Herring (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 09:37:18 AM EST
On some programme they were saying that with the maximum tution fees, a person who walked straight out of uni onto £42K and stayed there would never pay the whole debt off (it gets cancelled after 30 years IIRC). OK, it's not a realistic calculation but it does imply that quite a few people will never pay off their student debt. Unless they are rich.

A lot of bleating in the press/on the internet about these students being "selfish". Which is odd as it's not going to affect them - they can't up fees of someone already on a course. Also the Mail's take on "outside agitators" - well isn't everbody they've arrested so far actually a student?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Mixed feelings for me by Phage (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 10:08:31 AM EST
I just loved the banner. I'd like rich parents too !

Well by Herring (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 10:37:39 AM EST
I don't really agree with pointless targets to send loads of people to universities. And I don't much like the "pointless" degrees you hear about - although who is to judge the value of a qualification?

But to say "we wont have a graduate tax, you'll just have to pay a portion of your income for 30 years" well ... isn't that the same thing? Of course those who can pay it off straight away pay far less.

As to the actual protests, well it gets them out in the open air. The people who should really be protesting though is those with 17/18 year old kids. Like me.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

Update by Phage (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 11:16:42 AM EST
Dominic Casciani, BBC News, Whitehall

Some demonstrators are so cold they've been lighting fires to keep warm, using their placards for fuel.

Not really the weather for a good riot.

happens all the time here by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 10:54:09 AM EST
that people take out student loans they can never repay - and here, student loans aren't dischargeable in bankruptcy.
There are no protests by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 09:12:04 PM EST
Because the US mainstream media is not reporting it.

Also, get me the fuck out of this country. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Dec 16, 2010 at 09:14:06 PM EST
I'm beginning to think Saudi Arabia of even Afghanistan might be better...

More student protests | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback