Print Story More Simpsons
Linux
By gzt (Tue Nov 23, 2010 at 04:26:38 PM EST) gzt, stuff, things, flying, cars, squat, simpsons, etc (all tags)
So we're watching season 1 of The Simpsons. I have the week off from class. We hit some classics. I don't think it really hits its stride until season 2, but it's still hilarious and somewhat revolutionary. As I've said before, it's the sort of show that you can't really appreciate if you weren't around at the time it was coming out because it changed everything.

But the humor ages pretty well. The plotting is still somewhat conventional.

I just looked over season 2. So many classics. I'm surprised that so many of these great ones came up so early in the run. Some of the earlier ones are still pretty crude, though.

Flying tomorrow. Ugh. Will be nightmarish. And I can't even drink too much on the flight, despite my drink coupons, as I'm driving when we land.

Finance advice drawn on napkins: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/your-money/carl-richards-gallery.html?src=me&ref=your-money

Hey, by the way, HuSi has been running slow on my home computer. Anybody else have that problem? It's fine at work.

I think I'm still on pace to hit 500# on my squat before the end of the year. I'm somewhere in the 480s, most likely. I might enter that weightlifting meet at barooo's gym that's in a couple weeks, but I'll just go casual-like, since I have more important goals. Namely, 500# squat. In fact, if all goes according to plan, that's the day I'm scheduled to do 200kgx5, which should translate to around 500#. Even if it doesn't translate, it's a landmark.

Blah blah blah. Rental car will be expensive. Maybe I should've tried to get it further in advance. Probably would not have mattered much. At least I'm getting a pile of frequent flier credits from it.

Stuff, things, etc. Bah.

< 1900 | More student protests >
More Simpsons | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Freedom Pat, or irradiation? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Nov 23, 2010 at 05:00:00 PM EST
Join the boycott, dude. Just Say No.

(Comment Deleted) by mellow teletubby (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Nov 23, 2010 at 05:11:33 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by mellow teletubby

Revolutionary? Not really. by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Nov 23, 2010 at 06:35:46 PM EST
It was impressive in several respects when it came out, and it certainly still is, but "revolutionary"? No.

Also, 200 kg is 440 pounds.

Yes, it was by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Nov 23, 2010 at 10:24:23 PM EST
The Simpsons did two things that were revolutionary at the time:
  1. It was a satire rather then a situation comedy.
  2. It had no laugh track.
At the time, this was indeed revolutionary.  It was, AFAIK, the first successful comedy without either a laugh track or a live audience.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
No, it wasn't by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Nov 23, 2010 at 11:20:42 PM EST
Satire wasn't new to television. The Frost Report, That Was The Week That Was, and those are just the ones I remember my Dad telling me about when I was getting interested in Monty Python (which I'll freely admit was surrealist, not satirical.)

No laugh track, I'll grant was probably new - but I don't know that it's enough to call it "revolutionary". Not every innovation is a revolution.

Success by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 11:07:10 AM EST
I am talking about shows that were successful.  (And American shows.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Ah by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 12:13:43 PM EST
The Frost Report was a commercial success, though you'd have a point with This Was The Week That Was - commercially, anyway. There's little doubt that it was successful in accomplishing the goals of the show's creators, and it certainly had a large impact on society - it was pulled because BBC executives were nervous about the impact, not because it wasn't a hit.

But, true, they weren't American shows. I have a hard time believing satire didn't appear on American television before the Simpsons, but sure, maybe it was. And it didn't have a laugh track. And if that makes something revolutionary - it's new to a limited albeit large market - then it was revolutionary. And so was every other innovation of any kind since the dawn of Man.

(Comment Deleted) by mellow teletubby (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 04:51:24 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by mellow teletubby

Tell us, is it painful to be that wrong? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 03:51:25 PM EST

I wouldn't know by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 04:10:52 PM EST
is it?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Laugh tracks by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 04:22:10 AM EST
Any series sold to the BBC or ITV had to be laugh track free unless it met the guidelines of being from a live audience laughing at that point. No canned laughs, no lifting the audio from one joke to paste onto another that fell flat. That meant most US programmes hoping for export sales had two audio tracks already, but US production companies had a low opinion of their audiences ability to spot humour.

I remember by Herring (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 04:55:23 AM EST
when I first saw MASH with a laugh track (as broadcast in the US). It was unwatchable.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
explain benny hill then by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 08:43:42 AM EST
or did they add the awful laugh track for US audiences ?

Repackaged I think by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 11:46:01 AM EST
I can't remember how Benny Hill was originally put together, but it was often the case for comedy programmes that they would do some sketches live in the studio with the audience, then run film inserts (such as the traditional speeded up chase to Yakety Sax) while the scenery was being reset for the next sketch and record the audience reaction.

I suspect for US transmission the Benny Hill episodes bore little relation to how they'd been run in the UK so they may well have been redubbed as well as generally hacked about to fit shorter timeslots and more ad breaks.

Honestly, I don't remember by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 02:38:48 PM EST
Since that hit the states when I was 15, all I remember was tits and people running around to "yakkity sax".
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
facinating by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 10:12:07 AM EST
Are laughtrack free DVDs of TV shows available? I suspect there is plenty of room on the disc for multiple audio tracks, just adding already available tracks seems a nobrainer. Of course, this is TV, so the epsilon IQ score is a high hurdle.

Wumpus

Possibly not on the same disc by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 11:48:49 AM EST
I suspect they'd vary by Region coding. Might be worth comparing Region 1 and Region 2 releases of something.

Yeah by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 11:08:01 AM EST
I'm talking about in the US.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
and 200kgx5... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 12:45:31 AM EST
...should yield a single for 500#.

I liked the Simpson shorts by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Nov 23, 2010 at 06:58:18 PM EST
Back on the Tracy Ulman show.

I never really got into the series.

Cicero, The Republic
I had the slow Husi at home problem by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Nov 23, 2010 at 07:36:27 PM EST
until I got a Mac.

man I feel old now .. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Nov 23, 2010 at 08:30:24 PM EST
I recall kids getting suspended in school for wearing the "eat my shorts" t-shirts with Bart on them soon after the Simpsons came out..

yeah, I'm constantly amused by that by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Nov 23, 2010 at 09:59:41 PM EST
The things that were controversial in the 80s seem so quaint these days.

Cicero, The Republic
Season 3 and 4 of the Simpsons by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 2) #13 Wed Nov 24, 2010 at 06:24:22 AM EST
...is, IMO, quite possibly the finest seasons of any TV series, of any genre. Without question the finest seasons a comedy series has ever had. Top to bottom, episode to episode, nearly flawless. The jokes, both obvious and subtle background, come at you like a machine gun, and even 20 years after the fact, are still laugh out loud funny. Season 4 especially is like a '27 Yankees lineup: Kamp Krusty, Streetcar Named Marge, Homer the Heretic, Itchy and Scratchy the Movie, Mr. Plow, Marge v. Monorail, Duffless, Last Exit to Springfield, Whacking Day...incredible.

More Simpsons | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback