Print Story Ack, Gadgets!
Gadgets
By LilFlightTest (Sun Nov 21, 2010 at 09:44:09 AM EST) (all tags)
I have become tempted to get a Nook or Kindle.

Here's the problem- I would not buy books for it. I would use it for the free ones (of which there are a lot), the library lending ones, etc. I don't buy a lot of books in the first place but I do read a lot.

So on one hand, spending $150 for an e-book reader seems dumb because I probably wouldn't buy many books for it. On the other hand, there's a ton of stuff I could read that I'd otherwise have to sit in front of a computer to do (or find in dead-tree). Perhaps the attraction also stems from the desire to have an easier reading experience while in the Mothers' Room at work- it's hard to keep a book open and turn the page while your hands are busy holding a milking apparatus.

Am I falling prey to gadget marketing? This is a relatively recent (though enduring) desire. Also, it's not exactly cheap, though Christmas is coming, and thus perhaps it would be an ideal thing to ask my mommy for.

If I'm not just being silly, which should I get? I suppose I should go play with some more...

< I ONLY STARE AT THE DOOR AND SMOKE | Fraggles in the Wall >
Ack, Gadgets! | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You posted the diary I was going to post! by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Nov 21, 2010 at 09:51:26 AM EST
My sister-in-law loves her Kindle, but I heard from someone recently that you can't check out library books on the Kindle (amazon store only?). I haven't checked it out to see if that's true. I'm leaning toward the Nook, assuming I get one, but I think I do need to be able to play with it... I'm looking forward to the comments on your diary. :)
Our library by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Nov 21, 2010 at 09:57:14 AM EST
has Kindles you can check out, with a pretty big selection of books. I think (but may be mistaken) that you can check out the e-books too.
---------
I have the same thoughts. by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun Nov 21, 2010 at 11:02:27 AM EST
I am leaning towards the Nook.

Click
My has the gadget lust lately by MartiniPhilosopher (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Nov 21, 2010 at 11:18:05 AM EST
And got herself a Nook for her birthday. I am aware of her only buying a couple of books for it. She has otherwise downloaded a ton of epub and pdfs from Gutenberg and from author's sites. There are also kitting patterns and the like which have found their way on to it.

She was actually complaining the other day, wanting to know why more publishers didn't give away electronic copies of books when you purchased the real deal in the store.

Nook by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Nov 21, 2010 at 11:45:19 AM EST
unless things have changed since last spring (and I have tried to keep up with it), you cannot check out books from the library with a Kindle.

I have to say, I LOVE my Nook as a reading device but honestly, I would probably love any eInk e-reader out there.  I got the Nook because clock got it and we share an account at B&N (which is almost pointless because there are like 10 books on the planet we both have an interest in reading).  Like you're thinking it's much easier to read with a gadget when you are balancing other things (pumping, nursing a baby, big old baby gut, etc).  And when your beastie gets older, he can't steal the bookmark!!!

I will say you have to be careful with some of the free books, especially the ones from Google books - they tend to be scans of books and have LOTS of gibberish in them as well as wrong words.  One of the Jane Austin books I got was SO BAD that I coughed up the $0.99 to get an edited version just so I could figure out what was going on.

I know both Amazon and B&N offer free books all the time, so it's really easy to not pay anything ever.  My library has LOTS of titles available for e-lending, but almost nothing in the sci-fi fantasy area so I haven't actually been able to borrow one yet.  I would use the library if I weren't in such an escapist mood these days.

Finally, it used to be you had to pay money to get non-Amazon books put on a Kindle (again, that may have changed since I got my Nook) but that isn't the case at all with the Nook.  I come across free eBooks all the time ("go to Oprah.com in the next 24 hours for $Book for free download!") and I like that I can just drag and drop onto my Nook.

nook + Calibre for the Mac by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Nov 21, 2010 at 02:43:29 PM EST
Calibre lets you manage your eBooks from anywhere and convert them to nook supported formats. It works very well and does an excellent job as a generic ereader as well as being a front for the B&N bookstore; the Kindle doesn't. Some libraries have Kindles available for checkout but you can't just checkout eBooks on a Kindle; only the nook, at least in any US library that I've seen.

depending on your morals by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Nov 21, 2010 at 07:21:09 PM EST
There's a several gigabyte ebook archive on the Pirte Bay that would keep most people busy for several years.

as much as I hate to say it by R343L (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Nov 21, 2010 at 08:21:27 PM EST
what with the Kindle being one of my company's products, if you're looking to check out library books, etc. the Kindle is probably not right for you. I haven't heard anything about adding ePub support either, sadly (the thing most likely to allow Kindles to be able to use library ebooks).

Also, if you happen to have a smart phone of some kind, you can probalby find an ePub compatible reader for it (Kindle or Nook's reader or Apple's).

How do you "check out" an eBook? by nstenz (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Nov 22, 2010 at 01:04:03 AM EST

the nook, at least by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Nov 22, 2010 at 08:17:29 AM EST
has a "lending" feature where you can lend an e-book for 14 days or something like that. It appears I was wrong about the kindle doing the same.
---------
I have a nook by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Nov 22, 2010 at 07:26:33 PM EST
It's ok.  Disappointed with the selection of free books on it honestly.  Fair amount of classics from the 1800s (often in their native languages - boo).  New release eBooks are damned expensive - $10+ for an eBook really?  And selection is still spotty.  Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide was just released last month, I still can't get Harry Potter?

My wife had $75 in gift cards to Barnes and Noble and thought she'd like it, but didn't so I inhereted it.  Maybe if I read more new releases, I'd enjoy it, but I don't think I'd have bought one in hindsight.

As stated above by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Nov 29, 2010 at 06:13:42 AM EST
The kindle does not let you check out books, and to add  books from non-amazon store, requires  you to pay amazon to convert it. By far the most closed of any of the e-ink ebooks platforms.

Also, as stated the nook allows you to do both, the other one I would look at are one of the Sony PRS e-readers. The newer version allow you to check books out, and also supports the most formats of any of the others.

I have the PRS 700, and absolutely love it.

I looked at those by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Nov 30, 2010 at 08:19:25 AM EST
my dilemma now is that the nook has the features i want, but i really don't like the interface at all...
---------
I felt that way, but... by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Dec 17, 2010 at 10:33:00 AM EST
I've probably bought $100 or so in ebooks over the last year.

But I've bought at least a similar amount in real books, too.

The key thing is to keep your eye out for sales - the Sony book store constantly has books for $2-$5.

The other thing is to get Calibre. It's a horrible program from a UI point of view (written in Python by grad students, mostly) but it converts almost anything to a form your reader will read - including RSS feeds. So, even though I don't have networking on my old-model Sony, I'm constantly downloading hundreds of pages from news sites for me to read in my spare time.

An Angry and Flatulent Pig, Trying to Tie Balloon Animals