Print Story Urgh, I've been off the bike too long.
Cycling
By hulver (Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:04:05 PM EST) (all tags)
So, I was doing some intervals tonight.

My usual thing is 5x5 intervals.

10 minute warm up.

5 minutes at > 90% hrm max.
5 minutes at 60% ish.

repeat 5 times.

warm down.

I managed 2.

I knew it was going to be difficult when I was struggling to keep at > 90% for the full 5 minutes. Normally I can get up to 98% no problem, and keep at around 92% for the full 5 minutes.

This cold I've got is hitting me hard though, and not cycling anywhere for ages has taken its toll.

I really fucking hate being fat. I'm not that keen on getting older either. How am I going to live forever at this rate?

< zombie simpsons | on aging >
Urgh, I've been off the bike too long. | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
feelin' your pain! by clock (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:05:55 PM EST
I've been away from the pood for a week and I'm afraid to pick it up.  But I have to be able to got for a few minutes without hacking up a lung first.

As for getting older...well...yeah.  Feelin' that today too.  But we'll keep kicking the shit out of mortality one year at a time, eh?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yep by Herring (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 06:26:32 PM EST
I went back to the chaingang this week after a couple of weeks of doing no speed work. I bailed after about 10 miles. Looking at the HR data, I should've been able to stay with it but I'd lost the habit and the will.

Anything like that is 90% willpower - overcoming your body's urgent demand that you stop this madness at once. I got into it with the TTs over the summer. Need to get it back.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

any time I take a break from the gym by garlic (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 07:43:55 PM EST
due to laziness or whatever, it feels like I've lost any speed gains I had from the last time, even if the break feels short (in my head anyway).

You remember that time by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Nov 19, 2010 at 06:15:07 AM EST
Your perenium went numb? (erm I do). I've been reading Between a Rock and a Hard Place (harrowing book!) he talks about getting it while mountain biking, it's called "crotch coma" apparently and isn't due to the blood being cut off, but overstimulation of the nerves.

So there you go.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

How could I forget? by hulver (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Nov 19, 2010 at 07:24:02 AM EST
A couple of weeks of bizarre penis is an experience I never want to repeat.

I got one of these, and I've not had the problem again.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

I got teh numbness after the Dragon Ride by Herring (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Nov 19, 2010 at 07:44:26 AM EST
so changed saddles afterwards. It was unpleasant and scary. Tried selling that to Mrs. H. as a reason I wouldn't be playing around on cycling trips, but she wasn't convinced.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
hellz by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Nov 19, 2010 at 07:40:48 PM EST
MIne's still numb

Click
Lose weight the David Lynch way: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Nov 19, 2010 at 01:39:31 PM EST
Boil quinoa (the perfect protein) in covered, sea-salted water for 17 minutes, then add organic broccoli for another 5 minutes. Add some vegetable bouillon at the last minute. Remove from heat and immediately wash the saucepan. Add splashes of extra-virgin olive oil and liquid amino acid supplement. Eat with a spoon.

< 1 cup of quinoa in 1" of water. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Nov 19, 2010 at 01:42:46 PM EST

you had me til sea salt by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Nov 19, 2010 at 07:26:07 PM EST
salt is salt.

Click
WRONG by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Nov 19, 2010 at 08:02:14 PM EST
Meine landwirtin would beat you down for saying that.