Print Story on aging
By clock (Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:21:53 PM EST) (all tags)
yup.  i'm aging.  gracefully?

Today I am 38 years old.  Who's my bitch?  Darwin!  Ha!

I've been off of work all week and I'm off all of next week to boot.  Why?  Because when I had to do something for work it essentially killed the possibility of taking any time off for a rather unhealthy stretch of time.  Now I'll be off 3 weeks by the end of the year.  Nice.

Spent Sunday and Monday quite sick.  That sucked.  Lots of coughing and sore throat and all that jazz.  It killed our camping plans and that really was pretty crushing for Stacky.  The Dude and I weren't up for it at all though.

By Tuesday I was up and around.  Turned a pile of lumber into a pretty fine workbench.  Well, serviceable at the very least.  Much better than my folding workbench with a piece of MDF on top.  That wasn't much of a solution.  More of a problem waiting to happen.  I don't have to bend over at all to work as the bench top is at about 38".  Nice.  Wednesday I rebuilt the bench that my drill press, belt sander, and bandsaw sit on so now maybe they won't fall during use.  All in all, things are far more stable in the garage.  Go team!

For my birthday, I have puttered and done fuckall.  I mean, I hung some pegboard and made french toast for breakfast but that's about it.  Exactly what I'd hoped for.  I also broke in the new kettle I got for my birthday!  I've coveted a Chantal kettle for some time now and now it's mine!  A fine whistle on it to boot.  Exciting stuff!

Also, Pearl Django.  Look 'em up.  Listen to them.  Repeatedly.  Until you get it.  And once you've gotten it, you should get more.

My wife does and says really funny shit but if I don't write it down right away, I lose it.  I should tweet that stuff.

Speaking of my wife, she's looking really hot lately.  I don't usually go for the preggo fantasy stuff because I'm a little more vanilla than that, but dayum I want to hit that.  Yet I already did and that created the current conundrum.  Ah sweet irony!  If only my wife were better at the whole "being pregnant" thing.  She does great work, it's just a painful process.  That said, "Toadette" (shudder) is doing well.  I can feel her go to town on her mommy's guts.  That's always so wild!  Good stuff!

The Dude and I are having fun chillin' this week.  Lots of just being mellow.  I think the biggest plan for tomorrow is getting my eyes examined and picking up some new glasses.  Oh, and getting wings and beers with my brother in law (sister in law's husband?  I dunno...he's a good guy so I'll claim him).  Hopefully, I'll get some quality time with my niece and nephew.  It's good to have them around.

Tonight, I will watch the rest of Chappelle's show, kill the last of my Bourbon, and enjoy an extra piece of cheesecake that's in the fridge.  That's right, bitches!  Livin' large!

And I'm OUT!

< Urgh, I've been off the bike too long. | typing on a netbook >
on aging | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Happy Birthday old man! by hulver (4.00 / 1) #1 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:30:56 PM EST
Shit, you're the same age as me, now.

Still, we're giving death the finger, one year at a time.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

yes we are! by clock (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:43:16 PM EST
and I hope death can see this...I'm doing it as hard as I can</mooninite>

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

happy birthday. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:33:16 PM EST
you appear to be 375 days older than i am. :)
well by clock (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:43:51 PM EST
better than 375 days younger!  Ha!

oh...

wait a minute...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Happy damn birthday by technician (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:36:25 PM EST
and also, I no longer feel bad about not going to see you on the weekend, what with the sick and all. Glad you're doing better.

I'll drink a drink or three in your name this evening, and when I'm choking on mucous tomorrow on mile 5 of my run, I'll curse your name repeatedly. Would you have it any other way?

no doubt by clock (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:44:38 PM EST
I would have hacked all over the mic and we know that wouldn't do.

by all means, drink and THEN curse.  the order is important.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

You're old, fucker!!! by atreides (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:39:45 PM EST
On the other hand, I wish I had cheesecake. :( Therefore, you win! :)

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

damn straight! by clock (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:45:35 PM EST
did i mention that my wife made the cheesecake (no...i didn't...she just told me that i failed to mention that fact) and thus there is technically a neverending supply of cheesecake?

boo. yah.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I hate you. :( by atreides (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 06:32:29 PM EST
I love Welsh Girl, but I want a wife who makes cheesecake. :(

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

i can send you a recipe by clock (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 08:23:03 PM EST
that will never fail, if that helps.  but i can't make your wife execute it.  shoulda checked the fine print, dude.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Sounds great by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:48:56 PM EST
Isn't aging fun? You get prizes for getting slower. I'm all for it.
I envy your free time but because I like you I also think it's grande. You deserve it.
Also just so you know I was singing your birthday song all bluesy-sexy but you couldn't hear it so I'm just letting you know, it was a cool rendition. I'm sure no one believes me but I do nearly always sing it out while I'm writing it.

Enjoy your playtime my friend.

*twinkle*twinkle*

it beats the alternative! by clock (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 04:52:15 PM EST
and was it the super-sexy Marilyn Monroe kinda thing?  'cause I KNOW that would be made of awesome!

I wil enjoy it.  I have no choice!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

You kids etc. by ana (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 05:23:33 PM EST
Also, happy birthday!

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

heh by clock (4.00 / 1) #23 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 08:25:07 PM EST
thanks!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

You share the day... by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 05:36:29 PM EST
...With my mum. Phone call to her earlier, slightly edited version went...

Me: "Hello, happy birthday. Thought I'd better phone earlier this year so we don't get a repeat of last years 'Nice of you to call, I'm just off out to bridge and the car's here to pick me up'"

Mum: "Well, actually you've timed it just right. I am off to bridge later, but... Oh hang on, the car's here already. Bye..."

52 seconds said the timer on the phone.

my mom's birthday by clock (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 08:21:54 PM EST
is earlier in the month.  i called her at about 6 AM.  she assumed someone was dead.  i just wanted to be sure i wished her a happy birthday before my brother did.  she almost retaliated by calling at 3 AM before she went to bed (she's a nightowl) but restrained herself due to my wife's delicate condition.  next year will not be as nice i'm sure.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

And... by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Nov 19, 2010 at 03:09:39 AM EST
...They wonder why we don't call more often.

Numbered Items by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 05:53:07 PM EST
1.  Happy Birthday, you pup.
2.  Bench looks nice! Correct height always makes it so much better to work on to boot.
3.  Time off rocks.  I had a week in Cali at the Mothership, didn't get back until Sunday and then right back to work Monday.  Been a long two weeks.
4.  Pearl Django currently my Pandora radio station.  I will report on results.

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
you young kids these days. by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 06:31:01 PM EST
I've not hung pegboard in over a year's time. (reading further) oh you meant that literally.

I know a lot of people my age who were born in the October-November range.  I'm trying to figure out what the big thing was 9 months previous that caused this boom.  Super bowl and the Steelers is one theory.

Click

Happy Birthday! /nt by yankeehack (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 06:54:34 PM EST

Clock took credit for hanging *pegboard* by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 07:03:41 PM EST
Happy birthday!

well... by clock (4.00 / 1) #21 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 08:24:07 PM EST
you could say i took the blame for it.  either way, i made with the deck screws and drill.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

PRE-DRILLED FOR YOUR HANGING CONVENIENCE by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 11:40:45 PM EST

You're still 7 years younger than me. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 07:11:46 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

i'll run with that! by clock (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 08:24:52 PM EST
n/t

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Happy birthday! by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #24 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 08:30:42 PM EST
Hooray for cheesecake and bourbon!
Pearl Django by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #25 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 09:23:28 PM EST
Okay, I listed to a Pandora radio station with this as the theme for five hours.  Heard and noted several Pearl Django songs.

Interesting and intricate.  Seems to be Gypsy music.

However, in the final analysis it still sounds like the music bumps they run between stories on NPR. Sorry.

Gedvondur

"Adrenaline dumbs pain" - xth
(Comment Deleted) by mellow teletubby (2.00 / 0) #28 Fri Nov 19, 2010 at 04:12:10 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by mellow teletubby

You know by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #29 Fri Nov 19, 2010 at 03:15:12 PM EST
When I turned 30 I didn't care.  I was happy at home and was right about where I figured a 30 year old should be career-wise.  I'll turn 40 next spring and it's the same thing.  You, sir, have a good life.

on aging | 29 comments (29 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback