Print Story Silent hill: Shattered memories
Games
By hulver (Wed Nov 17, 2010 at 04:02:32 PM EST) (all tags)
Just finished this game.

Spoilers inside, don't read unless you want to.

Let me just say, wow. This is an incredible game. The thing of not having a weapon to use, and having to just run away. It works really well. It builds up the tension.

However, I did find the nightmare bits a bit tedious in places. I hadn't played it for quite some time, as I'd got stuck on a nightmare bit and couldn't be fussed finishing it.

I picked it up again today, and played through for 3 solid hours to finish though. The bit I'd got stuck on just disappeared. I managed to find the right turning and didn't get lost.

I was playing it on the Wii, and the controls were pretty good. It was quite easy through to lose the controller, especially if you've just been shaking off some nightmare creature. If your Wiimote isn't pointing at the screen you can't steer and so can't run away. It made it quite frustrating in tight spots. Just as you were getting attacked and needed the controls to be responsive, you'd have to wave them around and lose all control of your character.

Those were just minor things though.

I was blown away by the ending. I've not played any of the other silent hill games, so I don't know how close the story is to what's gone before. The ending was jaw dropping though. From the moment I walked into the lighthouse clinic and it cut back to the scene with the analyst my jaw literally hung open. Then it all made sense.

The final nightmare portions were excellent. Confusing, dream like, intense and spooky. The spookiness builds all the way through the game, and the final parts are really intense.

The part where your daughter realises that you are actually dead, and goes off to be with her mother again. Well, due to stuff going on with me right now it struck a chord.

Overall, I'd give it a 10/10. Not without its flaws, but it more than makes up for them with its other parts. I'll be playing through it again with new eyes.

< I'd - I'd really prefer to live in a doggy-dog world | zombie simpsons >
Silent hill: Shattered memories | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Silent hill by duxup (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Nov 17, 2010 at 04:20:20 PM EST
I always wanted to get into the Silent hill games but .... I couldn't take the tank driving.  I just couldn't do it with any of those Japanese games where I'm rolling through rooms with some horrible controls running into tables and chairs.

I think the only jaw dropping moment I had in a game was the obvious surprise in Final Fantasy 7.  I had no idea it was coming.  Seems silly now but it was a surprise to me.

The only real emotional connection I ever made was the very end of Max Payne 2.  Max's last line really hit home as something profound I think everyone hears them self say or think at some point a while after they experience the death of an immediate family member or such person.

____
I meant to write about this when I played it by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Nov 17, 2010 at 06:29:28 PM EST
Despite finding it really atmospheric and innovative I stopped playing after a while. I'm not sure what the sticking point was with me but I think the gameplay jumped around too much, I just couldn't get into it. I've been like this with a lot of Wii games - I don't actually like the controller unless I'm playing Wii Sports, innovative ways of controlling your character seem break up the gameplay.

It IS a good game though, there's an attention to detail missing from some of the other Silent Hills, and it's dead creepy.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

I did too by hulver (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 03:22:34 AM EST
I only picked it up again because it was unfinished business. I didn't like the nightmare sections, until you get to close to the end. I found they went on a bit too long and got in the way of the game.

The ones at the end of the game are shorter, and more in with the story.

The attention to detail is incredible. The way the game changes according to what you do is really quite subtle.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Was it frightening, or merely suspenseful? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Nov 17, 2010 at 06:52:08 PM EST
My kid has a taste for the macabre and shrugs off stuff in the vein of Alien. Don't want to waste money with it if it won't make him wet himself.

A bit of both by hulver (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 03:19:53 AM EST
I wouldn't call it frightening. There's parts where you're wondering around through empty houses, with stairs that go down forever, being chased by faceless horrors, and you keep seeing the frozen body of your wife.

I found it creepy, and it gave me 6/10 willies. I don't think a child would be bothered by it. The monsters aren't so much scary as "Oh bloody hell I've got to do that bit again now" if you get caught.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Yeah, he's too jaded for that. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 03:43:40 AM EST
Thanks for the tip.