Print Story Broken Briton
By codemonkey uk (Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 12:04:53 PM EST) (all tags)
Not really.  This is the story of my good dead for the day.  A story told, just to show how nice I am.

Because when you do a good things, it's selfish really: Acts of altruism are motivated by selfish ends - namely the desire to be seen as a kind and selfless person.

Why I have to then ruin it myself, on the other hand, is inexplicable.

I overslept this morning.  It's not really relevant to the story, but people enjoy happen-chance, as it it makes the random seem profound.

Since I was running late, I asked James for a lift to work (I rent a room from James in Portsmouth, he usually drives to work, I usually walk).

As we walked to his car I noticed an elderly lady walking her dog.  One notices the strangest things - a detail that struck me was that her dog had recently been operated on, it had a shaved patch, and a visible scar.

As I sat down, in the car, I looked up, and noticed something wrong.  It didn't quite sink in at first, but then I realised, the old lady had collapsed - she had fallen through someone's open gate, into their front yard, I so could only see her legs, and her little dog.

"Did that old lady just fall over?" I asked James.  "What old lady?  Where?" he replied.  I pointed out the legs in front of us, and said "do you think we should go and help?".  I'm not sure if James said yes, or I just decided to help myself, but she didn't seem to be moving, so I got back out the car and went over to see if she was okay.

She was not okay, she had split her eyebrow and was bleeding profusely.  She seemed confused.  She asked for help to get up, and I suggested she stay sitting.  She wanted to go home and said she lived nearby.  I didn't want to go against her wishes, so I (and James) helped her to her feet.  I held her arm, and then after a little back and forth between the three of us, decided to call an ambulance as we walked her home.

She was able to give her name, age, and address for the emergency services, but was otherwise confused.  She didn't know why she had fallen, and struggled to get her front door open.  I went inside with her, sat her down, and kept her company until the paramedics arrived.  James waited outside to wave them down (as requested by the emergency services telephone operator).

The ambulance arrived quickly, in less then 10 minutes, so James and I left her in the care of the paramedics.

Then posted that I'd helped an old lady on Facebook. Like you do.

And that is the end of the story.

PS: If I hadn't seen her, who knows what would have happened!

< stuff and things | That's no moon >
Broken Briton | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
codemonkey by Breaker (4.00 / 3) #1 Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 12:42:06 PM EST
You're a decent bloke and I don't think you're telling this story because we're watching to see if you're a "kind and selfless person".

I wouldn't have gone by either, and there's a whole lot of other folks who'd have done the same.

You are too kind. by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 12:53:25 PM EST
And I am prone to over analyse. ;)

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
I am not by Breaker (4.00 / 3) #5 Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 05:32:00 PM EST
And yes you are!

I think you'd agonise in yourself, a private conversation- was it a person fallen over that needed help and in yourself, you'd know that it would be wrong to walk on by.

You didn't, you stopped by to help and I don't think it was the adulation of the crowds that made you do it - it was simple, decent humanity.

But I've had a shitty day on top of a shitty week on top of a shitty month, and to read that there are others with some milk of human kindness left within them gladdens me greatly - I thank you for telling us this tale.

Both acts are human nature by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Nov 17, 2010 at 03:35:13 AM EST
Helping the old woman was done out of kindness and decency. Telling the story may be partially looking for some recognition as well as relating an interesting event.

Humans are social creatures. It is not wrong or in any way abnormal to seek recognition. It isn't attention whoring. It might be different if the good deeds were only motivated by attention seeking. It clearly was not.

Nice work! [nt] by TheophileEscargot (4.00 / 3) #3 Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 03:53:05 PM EST

Not nice when something like that happens by Herring (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 04:29:06 PM EST
Similar thing when out walking at lunchtime the other day. Old India guy went down. Me and this other random guy passing stopped and helped. Brain has a "SHIT WHAT DO I DO???!!?" moment.  The old guy was insisting he "just slipped" but clearly wasn't right. We sorted him out with some proper help, but it makes you wonder.

Come to think of it, I never mentioned it to anyone. Even Mrs. H. Don't like reliving those moments of awkwardness.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky

That's a good morning's work. by Scrymarch (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Nov 10, 2010 at 11:12:13 PM EST

Iambic Web Certified

Altruism is not selfish by Tonatiuh (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Nov 11, 2010 at 06:22:27 AM EST
Unless you make it so.

Which in this case you aren't doing it.

Well done sir,

I've called the EMTs a couple of times by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Nov 11, 2010 at 08:13:27 AM EST
Not too uncommon to see someone have a seizure outside an AA meeting.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

A hero for day! by duxup (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Nov 12, 2010 at 02:42:52 PM EST