Print Story In the mood to write a diary
By StackyMcRacky (Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 09:46:30 PM EST) (all tags)
and I have time! (because I'm not so invested in my current book)

So!  Where to begin?

Sunday we drove up to Hunstville State Park (40 minutes driveway-to-entrance) and rented a canoe.  clock and I hadn't even been canoeing together, and The Dude has wanted to go since Grandpa bought him a Duplo camping set with canoe.  The Dude was so excited that he literally ran in circles on the dock shouting "This SO citing!"  Anyway, it took a little while before he understood that you can't bounce around in a canoe.  We almost spilled out a couple of times, mostly because of me - the seats in the canoe were super-high, so my center of gravity was way off.  I was in the front, so I couldn't see when he would lean over the side and would just be thrown to one side or the other.  My current condition has my sense of balance off, so that doesn't help, either.  I finally moved forward and sat on the bottom of the boat with my legs folded up in a funky position.  Not the most comfortable position (especially with Dude2 in the gut), but we quit having near-misses.  Anyway, the weather was beautiful and the boy was content to paddle around for 90 minutes!  A+++, will do again.

This was the first time we'd been up to Huntsville since The Dude was born.  Dragging a kid around makes you re-evaluate what's important in a state park.  Pre-Dude, we didn't much care for HSP, but now I think it would be a great place for a last-minute overnight (or even weekend) trip.  Our lack of camping has really pissed me off.  I plan on changing that in the future.

I'm getting pretty fat and stuff these days.  We're currently in week 16.  I tend to get big quickly (had to start wearing maternity stuff at 8 weeks) and get a lot of "WOW! You're only 4 months?!" comments.  I was able to quit taking the Zofran some weeks ago (I CAN POOP NOW!) and once the weather finally cooled down (read: heat index was below 100F) the rest of the nausea went away.  I still heave (dry and otherwise) all the time, I just don't feel nauseated all day and night.  Severe groin pain has already started kicking in, and I'm wondering how long I'll be able to walk.  I'm also INCREDIBLY lucky this time that I haven't started retaining fluids (yet)!  At this point with The Dude, I had to buy new shoes because I couldn't fit into any I owned.  I think I was also up 30lbs.  The big ultrasound (#4 for us) is in two weeks, and we'll find out if my sister needs to start shipping down girl clothes.  I'll be honest, I'm hoping for a boy for a number of reasons, but I certainly won't be disappointed with a girl.  Finally, I'm in a half-constant state of freaked out because I do. not. feel. this. baby. at. all.  With The Dude, it felt like there was a cage match going on in my guts at about 12 weeks; I was convinced I was having twins there was so much movement.  All babies are different, blah blah blah, but you know what you know, and this is freaking me out.

I've sewn 2 maternity shirts and have one more to go.  If I wasn't completely done for the day at 6pm, I'd be working on it now.  After this last shirt, I'm going to make a maternity jacket.  Burda Style published a bunch of maternity patterns in their June issue (enough to make a whole wardrobe from), and WOW they're incredibly drafted!  They take into account details like swayback, BIG guts, and BIG boobs.  Amazingly enough, ready-to-wear maternity ignores all these things.

I decided to take a walk on the wild side a few months ago, and ordered fabric from an online vendor.  I picked up some incredible Italian cotton shirting for clock for only $10/yard.  This stuff is gorgeous, it almost feels like silk.  When I'm finished with my fatty wardrobe, I'll crank out a few more dress shirts for clock.  Crap, I just remembered I bought a bunch of Windpro fleece last spring to make jackets for the whole family.  Well, maybe we won't get fanci jackets until next year.  Or maybe I'll put off the shirts.  Or even mix it up a bit!  I'm wild and crazy like that.  I just don't have the energy to work on sewing projects all the time.  It sucks, because I really miss the process.

My one mom friend might be going back to work soon.  It totally sucks.  After the baby is born I might have to figure out how to make friends with women.  Too bad there isn't a nerd-mom club in the area!

Looking at the clock (not the sexy one), I should start wrapping this up.  Time to shoot up in the stomach OH YEAH!  I'm so fucking sick of these shots, and don't understand why the doctor still has me doing them.  I think I'll argue with her about it again at my next appointment.

6 more months of feeling like shit.  sigh.

< Still waiting. | Book review: The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists >
In the mood to write a diary | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dang, woman. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 10:07:01 PM EST
You should be more careful. Your center of gravity is already pretty high.

gah by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #5 Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 09:25:50 AM EST
my stomach is already bigger than my boobs, and i'm sporting G/H's right now.  i'm just off.

Wait by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 09:49:35 AM EST
Doesn't that mean your CG is dropping?

Wow. Really? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 12:48:34 PM EST
Well, there goes the rest of my day.

Yep. [nt] by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #12 Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 05:55:37 PM EST

i remember those days by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 10:21:17 AM EST
then the belly goes away and the boobs look even bigger.
---------
when my milk came in by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 03:09:50 PM EST
I was a J cup for about a month.  Not fun.

I never could find supportive nursing bras, so for the 11 months I nursed, I always looked plumpish.  I got a new supportive non-nursing bra right before The Dude's first birthday party, and all my aunts and cousins commented on how much weight I had lost since they had seen me a month before.  The only difference was the bra keeping the girls in place.

not quite a month for me by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Oct 10, 2010 at 05:21:09 AM EST
but a couple weeks for sure. I felt ridiculous.

Medela Seamless Underwire nursing bras. They're the only ones that fit me properly while being supportive enough. I haven't found them at any stores, so I have to order them, but you probably have more store options. They're awesome and are only around $40.
---------

for fun by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #20 Sun Oct 10, 2010 at 10:52:07 AM EST
I clicked the "find retail locations" on the Medela site, and found "The Breastfeeding Shoppe" right down the street from me.  It's an internet shop that has a storefront with no sign (they have a sign now, but it's so small you wouldn't even see it).  I had to call when I was standing in front of the store because it's completely hidden.  Total lucky find!

sweet! by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #21 Sun Oct 10, 2010 at 01:21:38 PM EST
There's all of ONE store around here that has nursing bras in the size i need, and they have nothing that both fits well and is supportive enough.
---------
Cage matches. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 10:31:17 PM EST
Presumably all the dude's fighting created a little more womb-lebensraum in your abdomen so it's a little more spacious for dude-2.

Good luck with it all, and everything,

Why you're still shooting up by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 11:49:11 PM EST
Because it doesn't hurt anything (except, you know, for the hurting part). Whereas if you stop and then something goes wrong...

show me the evidence by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 09:31:56 AM EST
let's start with the fact there's NO evidence that shooting up even prevents miscarriage.  then, with this particular condition, the chance of miscarriage drops to the same as regular people at 10 weeks.  "most" doctors take their patients off this stuff around 14 weeks.

so, aside from the general discomfort of the shots themselves, i'm bleeding and bruising all over the place for what?  my body is already working overtime, why should i make it work even harder?

There is no solid evidence by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #10 Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 12:53:57 PM EST
What makes you think insurance companies and providers care about that hard evidence? I'm seeing examples of this over and over again - procedures, rules, and processes based not on optimal patient outcomes but on maximum protection from liability. And liability isn't based on hard evidence; it's based on emotion and the ability of a sharp lawyer to make 12 ordinary citizens feel like someone needs to be held accountable.

If I quit now by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 01:07:37 PM EST
It wouldn't even be AMA because my fertility doc thinks I should be off them now.

And what happens when I have some nasty complication because I'm on this stuff?

Where's your hard evidence? by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 06:54:35 PM EST
Bulk of the evidence shows that the stuff you're on now is beneficial in the early stages and not harmful later. There is some ambiguity about when it's okay to stop. So they're erring on the side of "safety" by having you continue to take it.

I could buy that if it's the physician's judgement that this is the case, based on her experience or a recent study showing increased success rates or what have you. My cynical side says they're doing it because some practice group or insurance company says to do it that way to lower liability - if they stop and something happens they're at risk of a lawsuit, if they don't stop and something happens then it's just a sad event but they did everything by the book.

within her practice by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 07:19:06 PM EST
some docs prescribe the shots for my condition, some docs have the patient take a single baby asprin a day, and others don't give their patients anything.

of the 3 ob/gyn physicians i've spoken with, 2 would have had me stop the shots by now.

canoeing by garlic (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 08:13:14 AM EST
was my introduction to boating. My dad had one, and our vacations growing up would always be camping somewhere with a lake where he could go fishing and take us along. Canoe or Kayak is my favorite way to be on the water.

i went all the time when i was a Girl Scout by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 09:33:21 AM EST
as with everything I enjoyed as a kid, I never found anybody who liked what I did so I dropped it all.  :(  Hooray for clock, and his outdoor lifestyle!!

Also by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Oct 08, 2010 at 07:10:39 PM EST
While I prefer the sailboat, there is a 17' Alumacraft canoe in the backyard with several thousand miles of water travel in its history. When I bought it new they weren't expensive; I think $600 or so.

My dad's, which is the same model, has a better story behind it. We went into hte Boundary Waters Canoe Area on our annual trip, this time a 130 mile loop. We were experts at this, almost didn't need the map anymore for that area, and we knew the portages we could skip and paddle or wade through. Well, except the water level was low and we miscounted; there are six portages in a row on a river there along the Canadian border (literally, the north bank of this narrow little river is Canada, the south bank is the US) and the last one is a category 4 whitewater, the rest are nothing to fret over. We misounted... and almost made it.

So there we are at the bottom of the whitewater with our (rented) canoe wrapped around a boulder. We had missed the last turn because the canoe was too heavily loaded, run up broadside on the rock, canoe tipped and the full flow of the river is running into the canoe. Less than a minute later the canoe is underwater, our gear is floating downstream, and the water pressure has pushed both ends of the canoe around the rock until both the bow and stern are aimed straight down river.

So we gathered our gear (less one bait bucket and one spare shoe) and piled it up on the bank. No permit for Canada, so we joke about invading... it's the more open bank right there. Lift the canoe off the rock and carry it to shore. Dad takes the bow, I take the stern, we walk away from each other until the canoe's almost straight again, then set it down and walk in it until it's back to the right shape - almost - with a couple of nasty tears in the metal. Reload the gear, stuff tshirts in the holes, and spent the rest of the day paddling the last 15 miles back to the base camp - stopping every 30 minutes to bail out the water.

Get back to the base camp, pull up to the dock, and the resort owner (also my third cousin) walks up, looks at the canoe, looks at us, and says, "well, boys, what did you do to YOUR canoe?"

Dad took it to work the next week and welded shut the tears, did some artful work with come-alongs and cargo straps and bags of sand as a makeshift English wheel, and he still uses the canoe today, almost 20 years later.

Yay Canoeing! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #16 Sat Oct 09, 2010 at 10:07:42 AM EST
I miss it, haven't canoed in a while. Next year I will have to do some of this with the children as well. I'm so glad you got out there even in your present state. You go girl!
*twinkle*twinkle*