Print Story slow cooker + picnic shoulder = happiness
By clover kicker (Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 09:06:26 AM EST) (all tags)
Even the leftovers I sliced off and ate cold for breakfast were great.

Picnic shoulder is about the most convenient cut for the slow cooker, you don't have to brown the thing first.

exciting food poll inside:

(nothing to see here)
< Randy Moss! | Still waiting. >
slow cooker + picnic shoulder = happiness | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
That wasn't very exciting. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #1 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 10:08:03 AM EST
Maybe a warthog-hunting safari, with the beast's tusk rending your leg asunder and your bearers stabbing it to death, or something like that, Lord Greystoke.

Homer Simpson by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 11:46:57 AM EST
Would rather read about cooking and eating the pig.

Yesssss... Yes, he would. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 05:04:58 PM EST

I should try that by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 10:09:20 AM EST
right now our slow cooker is full of corned beef and taters.

-1, no smoke by barooo (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 10:43:33 AM EST
the best thing you can do with a picnic is rub it with some good old spices and a little brown sugar and salt, then smoke it for about 16 hours at 225 until it's falling apart.

But what you did is tasty too.  Let it render out it's own fat then get crispy in said fat, and add some mexican oregano and lime and you've got carnitas.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
It's not easy, but it is good. by technician (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 11:08:10 AM EST
You know, I believe in a full smoke roast, but lately I've found that you really only need a couple of hours on the smoke to get the flavor in, then you can seal it and throw it in an oven set to 250 and not worry about your fire.

That being said, spending the day tending a fire for food is pretty awesome.

Blasphemer! by notafurry (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 11:40:27 AM EST
Though you're absolutely right on all counts. My best ribs are actually only on the grill or smoker for an hour or two; the rest of the time they're actually in a crock pot or slow cooker.

But I don't admit that to anybody, you understand.

While I do still go by technician (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 01:07:59 PM EST
for a full smoke if the weather allows it, my last two BBQs have had my very best brisket...and they were both finished in the oven.

Cook's Illustrated has a BBQ book that defines the proper time for smoke, per pound. I stuck to that, and nailed it...really amazing brisket.

That being said, I do still like a challenge. My biggest yet was a 22 pound brisket that I cooked for 15 hours. It wasn't perfect....but it was fucking awesome.

Yeah by barooo (4.00 / 2) #8 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 01:56:23 PM EST
The shoulder I did over teh weekend went in a 200 degree oven overnight then finished for about 4 hours on the smoker.

The last brisket I did was done the hard way, but cooked way faster than I expected, it was a 16 pounder that was done in 10 hours at 250.

Both were excellent.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Cooks Illustrated ftw by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Oct 07, 2010 at 03:18:10 PM EST
I don't watch much TV, but America's Test Kitchen is one of 2 shows on the Tivo list.

I've got a slow cooker recipe book somewhere by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #11 Sun Oct 10, 2010 at 01:54:20 PM EST
That had some great cake recipes in. It's good for those moist, boozy ones.

Must get a new slow cooker, I broke the lid of mine.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!