Print Story Gah
By Breaker (Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 10:42:14 AM EST) (all tags)
I had a complete diary at the preview stage, then like an eejit, clicked away then closed the tab.

Fuckwit, thy name is Breaker.

Non-DIYers and house pr0n fanciers should look away now.

This is the greatly cut down version of what I had previously.

The flue that needs boxing in;

It comes on with the bathroom light and is noisy in the room at night.  So it needs to be boxed in.

The frame to attach everything is mounted on the ceiling.  I had to add crosspieces as the joist is wonky behind the plasterboard and I needed a strong fixing to the top.

For the flue though, the fixing is not going to be bearing much weight so I could use skyhooks:

The boxing in will be stuffed with the cheapskates soundproofing - loft insulation:

Blocks in place to hold the bottom frame in.  This is important as there's no right angle nor a straight wall to be found in this crooked house of mine.

I spent about 70 quid on fixings at B&Q.  Ouch.

So I can't afford a nice paint bucket to clean brushes in, just a cut down milk carton.  It does have a ridge in the middle, which is good for getting the paint off.

Mmm sanding.  I fucking hate it.  With this brand of paper though, I bizarrely think of the Canuckistanis I've met.  256, misslake, ni and Druisan branded P180!

The stairs needed patching so the edging covers the gap.

Sanding over, the stairs are primed.

Next: shoe castille carcase to be built this weekend, probably a lot of painting.

< Einigkeit und Recht und Freiheit | Union Station >
Gah | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
No pics of the chloform ductwork? by georgeha (4.00 / 4) #1 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 11:34:45 AM EST
How about the mind control rays, and the Satanic summoning room?

That's the project by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 11:38:50 AM EST
For next week.

The Satanic Summoning Room by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 12:56:45 PM EST
is in the Shed of Doome

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

The Demons are gonna hate that by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #4 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 01:12:38 PM EST
good enough to be summoned to our plane, but not good enough to be let in the house?

I know by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 04:41:38 PM EST
But none of them are toilet trained.

when i worked in the closet biz by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 04:38:00 PM EST
i found only one building in the entire city of houston that was square.  it's a historic building they were converting to lofts, and were required to be extra-anal due to the historic nature of things.  corners were 90 degrees, top to bottom!  it was weird - i almost didn't know how to do the math on things, since i was so used to compensating for poor construction.

The worst by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Oct 06, 2010 at 05:20:32 AM EST
Was the corkscrew chimney that I installed shelves either side of.

Every single piece of wood had to be cut to order then fettled in to place.

Bravo good sir! by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 07:20:32 PM EST
Now I need to run off and grab a cold shower.

You've inspired me - I've got a top secret project slated for this weekend and I may just have to document the whole thing for the Internet's sake!

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

The internet by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Oct 06, 2010 at 05:18:58 AM EST
Requires it!

Question by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Oct 06, 2010 at 09:14:11 AM EST
Does recording and diarsing your DIY tasks make them more fun to do? Maybe I should employ it for tidying my flat...

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

No more fun by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Oct 06, 2010 at 11:28:10 AM EST
But it does mean I have another pressure to keep at it, as well as try to finish each job as I go, or at least get some measurable progress.

Which does help I suppose, as at least it feels like I'm getting somewhere.

Re: Pic #7 by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Oct 06, 2010 at 09:26:41 AM EST
That's an interesting tool next to the cordless drill you have there.  I don't care for that particular brand, but I like your style.

But why do you need a cut-down milk jug to rinse brushes?  I only use latex paints, so I can just use the laundry sink.

Heh the beer reward comes by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Oct 06, 2010 at 11:30:24 AM EST
When the sharp and dangerous tools are packed up out of the way and all that's left is the cleaning up.

Some of the paint I use is gloss, so has to be cleaned off brushes with white spirit, not water.  This is not cheap so to make it go further, a small container helps the spirit cover the brush higher.

Gah | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback