Print Story feed me daylight
By Merekat (Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 09:36:05 AM EST) (all tags)
Everyone should go to Montreal and eat themselves silly.

However, not everyone should walk so much that they make their feet bleed.

Poutine - not as bad as I expected though the gravy didn't melt the cheese much.
Smoked meat - an utterly transcendant food experience.
Breakfasts at the B&B - epic. Utterly epic.
Eating tapas on a swing - tricky.
Microbrews - blanche seems to be the key style.

Mont Royal itself is a litte too over-manicured. Park de la Fontaine does not so much have squirrels as a squirrel infestation. You're practically having to kick them out of the way and they're tame in a way that makes my first thought 'rabies'.

Arrived home this morning, landing shortly after 6am. Worst transatlantic I can remember for a while. Old plane (seat moves every time ppl walk past), badly located seat (crew kept leaning against it), turbulance, slow crew in service. Felt like vomiting almost the whole way. Grabbed about 3 hours sleep at home and then came into the office to clear the decks before Denmark next week.

At one point I went to the cinema to save worse damage to my feet. Picked The American. I have the idea that it was liked by Clooney so that he could just hang out near his Italian home and drink coffee. Visually, I liked it. Clooney did a good job, but otherwise it was a bit thin and pretentious. People's teeth were too white, unless they were old. It was distracting. I was surprised that films were left in original lang with no french subtitles though.

Local dialect takes a while to get hooked into. By Sunday morning, waiting staff were not defaulting to english (Juliette & Chocolat - om nom nom) but I kept finding german in my head which just confused everyone more.

< Working Again | Now she's gone and done it. >
feed me daylight | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
smoked meats? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 09:48:41 AM EST
I thought Europe was full of them, smoked cheese, too.

specific smoked meat by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 10:11:09 AM EST
Montreal smoked meat from Schwartz's Deli.

Most regional cured meats have a slightly different taste/aspect.

I approve of this suggestion by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 03:21:25 PM EST
Though I wouldn't necessarily recommend Schwartz to, say, vegans.

Bagels should also be tried at some point.

Vive le Montréal libre.

I have done this by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Oct 04, 2010 at 06:38:41 PM EST
and stayed at a B&B in Mont Royal. And I agree, the eating is good in Montreal.

There's a big $bigvirtualizationvendor conference going on in Copenhagen next week.

hm by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 06:07:41 AM EST
That might explain why hotel prices were even more crazy than usual.

In Copenhagen by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 07:14:36 AM EST
I did not have to go, but offer was extended to me...
I've always wanted to visit. by Evil Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 04:42:00 AM EST
And my most recent barmaid drinking buddy is planning to move there in the new year, so I may even have cause to do so.

bloody 'ell! by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 05:59:57 AM EST
Where'd you spring from?

Nice to see you too. by Evil Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 06:18:21 AM EST
I'm moving to Dublin next month and I guess that got me thinking about who I know and used to know up there. Which reminded me of this particular internet ghetto.

And how are you?

I'm good by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 07:00:35 AM EST
You're insane. I'd have thought you'd move to London before Dublin. I assume it is job related.

Yup. Job related by Evil Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 07:16:54 AM EST
Got a call off a head hunter. Asked if I'd be interested in a position. Decided I'd take the interview to get leverage for a pay rise. The job, and the people turned out to be more interesting than expected. The offer they made is effectively a 33% increase before bonus and benefits, of which my current job has neither.

On top of that though, quite a number of people I know have moved to Dublin, including, but not limited to, my favourite barmaid and drinking buddy. It's been a year of change all around and if ever there was a time to make the move, this is it I reckon.

plus by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 10:25:26 AM EST
Dublin cost of living is finally sinking so 33% would actually be meaningful rather than just scraping extra costs.

Yes, at last it is. by Evil Cloaked User (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Oct 05, 2010 at 03:14:20 PM EST
For a 1 bed cottage, the brother is only paying €50 per month more than I currently pay for a 1 bed apartment.  At the moment, I walk 4 miles to work and the new job is within sight of Heuston, so anywhere even vaguely close to the city centre is an easier commute than I currently have, which means transport costs aren't a factor either.

feed me daylight | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback