Print Story An eyeball, a little girl and a magazine
Cycling
By 256 (Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 04:45:47 PM EST) (all tags)
So I just turned 31. I make it a general policy to ensure that each year of my life is better than the last.

inside: pictures and a link that I'm pretty proud of

Our little bean was born in March, which was a lucky thing because it provided a seriously huge buffer of awesome against the troubles that followed.

Before we go any further, I must take this moment to say, quite seriously: OMG isn't she just the most precious?

Carrying on, things were great for a few months until, in May, some scammer from South Carolina took me, Kellnerin and our friend A for a ride. If you weren't following along, the three of us had been busting our asses trying to raise money to get a new science fiction magazine off the ground. We were using Kickstarter and, as the finish line drew closer, it became clear that we weren't going to reach our goal and thus wouldn't receive funding. But then! An eleventh hour contributor came through with a huge pledge to push us over the line. We spent nearly a week spinning all the gears into motion before it became clear that the pledge was fraudulent, collateral damage in some larger con. Ugh. But don't worry; keep reading; the story has a happy ending, or, at least, a happy continuation.

Not long after this disappointment, I started to notice some problems with my vision. Turned out to be a spontaneously detached retina, and a pretty heavily progressed one at that. They tried to fix it by injecting gas bubbles into my eye, resulting in some pretty creepy-looking bleeding, but no improvement.

It was quickly determined that the only course of action was to cut open my eyeball with knives and install some silicone scaffolding to physically hold my retina in place. On the list of medical procedures I don't recommend just having done on a lark, this is pretty high up there. On the plus side, I got to wear an eyepatch for two months. I think it suited me pretty well.

And then in August my aunt M, who was like a third parent to me growing up, contracted pneumonia and went from being in fantastic health for an 85-year old to being scattered around a rose bush in two weeks time. It's how she wanted to go: quickly and while she still had her independence. Of course, that thought doesn't console as much as it should.

But then, almost immediately, my sister gave birth to a beautiful little girl, which is basically the way that deaths and births should always be scheduled.

And then E got a job in Toronto, starting in January, so we're moving home. Good thing too, because we just got the bill for my eye surgery and it did a pretty good job of driving home the reasons not to live in the USA.

Oh, and we started that magazine after all(!!!)

So yeah, 30 was a pretty great year on balance.

< SLURP | Moved >
An eyeball, a little girl and a magazine | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden)
OMG bonus more baby! by 256 (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 04:51:22 PM EST

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

I like the first shot by marvin (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 05:01:24 PM EST
Almost like she has a mohawk. Must be genetic.

I like your proto human by MillMan (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 05:31:37 PM EST
and you look like me in the pirate pic. If I were a pirate.

you usually by 256 (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Oct 31, 2010 at 07:48:22 AM EST
have a beer in one hand and a baby in the other?
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
That frirst shot is priceless by johnny (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 05:39:47 PM EST
She's checking you out from the corner of her eye & her little smirk is saying, "You think you're the boss of me? Yeah, right."

They say that children that age cannot focus or process visual information, but, of course, they're wrong.  I have a photo taken of me and Older Daughter when she was three days old (she's now 30, like yourself), wherein I'm cradling her in my arm and checking her out from the corner of my eye, and she's checking me out from the corner of her eye. Pretty much captures our whole thirty-year relationship in 1 photo.

Speaking of eyes, sorry to hear of your tsoris, however you spell it, as the Hebrews say.

And congrats and best wishes to all on family stuff and on AE, which I will do my best to pimp, ever so subtly.

P.S. Kickstarter scammers suck fill in the blank. I ran into one also, but he didn't manage to do much damage, thank Fred. But it does seem uncalled for and cruel, even.

BTW by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #15 Sat Oct 30, 2010 at 05:49:08 PM EST
They don't say that anymore.

Current medical wisdom is that newborns can process visual information, in particular faces, and that while their eyes are not quite perfect yet they have high visual acuity and focus at just about the average distance from your elbow to your face - which means they can clearly see your face when being held for, say, nursing.

indeed by LilFlightTest (4.00 / 1) #19 Sun Oct 31, 2010 at 10:47:58 AM EST
at about three minutes old, my son was staring at me, almost in awe. then my husband said something for the first time and bam, those eyes locked on him. I knew he'd know our voices, but i didn't expect that.
---------
Ur bebe by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 05:52:41 PM EST
= teh cute++.

Sorry for your loss, hope your eye gets back to sorted soonest.

Oh yeah, and ur bebe = teh cute.

my eye by 256 (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 07:23:08 PM EST
has finished healing. I've got a huge blindspot in my lower right peripheral, floaters that make it look like there's a swarm of bees flying around inside my eyeball at all times and my vision is only correctable in that eye to 20/30 now, even with the strongest lenses they've got. This is as good as it's gonna get. But I'm not complaining. It beats being blind in one eye, which was definitely a possible outcome. And apparently I'll stop noticing the floaters eventually.

but, more importantly: yeah, she's the cutest.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

Eeeep! by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #14 Sat Oct 30, 2010 at 05:18:50 AM EST
How does it affect your distancing vision?  You OK to ride a bike still?

vision by 256 (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Oct 31, 2010 at 07:47:12 AM EST
My distance and depth perception are fine. I can't easily read roadsigns on my left without turning my head. Thankfully, we drive on the right over here so that's rarely a problem.

I've been riding my bicycle and have driven a car since the operation. I feel quite comfortable doing both. I haven't tried the motorcycle yet.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

thanks for the update! by R343L (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 06:14:38 PM EST
Aside from the gross eye picture which I'm not sure I wanted to see.

The baby pictures might make up for it. Maybe. :)

Congratulations on starting the magazine!

That eye looks painful by lm (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 07:09:10 PM EST
But that picture is made of awesome.

Cicero, The Republic
I saw it passed around on fb by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 08:48:45 PM EST
musta missed your real name for friends..

so what's up ? I still owe hulver a $20 in the post, and feel I owe you one as well. I'm too lazy (and had too much wine) to read on line ..

my real name isn't a secret by 256 (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Oct 29, 2010 at 09:20:22 PM EST
but I don't have a facebook account anyhow

AE has an official presence there, but it is babysat by the other two thirds of the team.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

His name by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #13 Sat Oct 30, 2010 at 05:16:52 AM EST
Is SPARTACUS!

Cute baby. by Pasofol (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat Oct 30, 2010 at 02:42:21 AM EST
All the best with the eye problem hopefully you get some decent treatment back home.
If you need some help with appointments/doctors let me know might be able to help.

Lovely baby by sugar spun (4.00 / 1) #12 Sat Oct 30, 2010 at 03:52:29 AM EST
and I'm sorry for your loss.

256 + cuteness = awesomeness! by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #18 Sun Oct 31, 2010 at 10:13:50 AM EST
That is all.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

An eyeball, a little girl and a magazine | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden)