Print Story Fixing stuff.
Wizards and Hobbits
By ana (Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 09:30:38 AM EST) homeowner (all tags)
So last year we had the boiler replaced. Turns out the fire department is supposed to do an inspection and that slipped through the cracks somehow. Oopsie.


So this year when the unit was cleaned and fixed up for the heating season, the guy from the oil company encouraged me to get that done. Oddly enough I managed to get the inspector on the telephone and he was here the next day. He poked around, figured out the circuitry, decided he liked everything except the placement of the heat-sensitive cutoff switch. Strictly speaking, it's in code, but since the new boiler is a few feet from where the old one stood, a lot of the electricals were left where they'd been, kind of hanging out in the air. So the electrician who did the installation is back today, moving a couple boxes (also the manual cutoff switch) closer to the burner.

As long as they're here... Any century-old house has funky stuff in it. So I had him check out my laundry list of electrical problems. Right now he's off buying a new socket for the dining room light fixture (it blinks!). They traced the wiring for the outdoor electrical outlet which has never worked reliably (and since discovering that, I haven't been comfortable using it at all). Turns out that switch on the workbench that doesn't do anything? Yeah, it cuts the power to that outdoor outlet.

A while ago we had a little grease fire. Deglaze pan with alcohol and you get a flume of flame, which lit the grease in the overhead fan unit, which, etc. Fortunately I was standing in the kitchen when this happened, and I noticed immediately that there was flame in the vent hood. So we moved the food, I hit the fire with the extinguisher, and it was all over in twenty seconds.

Well, plus after-shakes from the adrenaline, and PTSD nightmares about burning the house down.

Oh, and the light over the sink is out. Okay, and probably the fan and light in the hood; makes sense if they're all on the same circuit. I tried replacing the fuse, and it blew immediately, so I left it alone.

Until today. Turns out the wiring for the fan is all melted together, shorting it out. So they just took out the fan wiring, and, as a temporary measure until I can get a new unit (it's an odd size, of course), hooked up the light, and it works. Also the light over the sink. No more cooking in the dark, or in the light cast by an emergency extension cord/light unit.

And they'd be happy to install ceiling fan replacements with lights built in, if I buy them. The main two bedrooms have no lights in them except whatever lamps we've plugged in. Oh, and the Christmas lights from last year, strung around the edge of the ceiling.

And finally, the fluorescent lights in the basement that don't come on when it's hot and/or humid are being replaced. Ballast issue; cheaper to replace than refurb.

A morning well spent at home, after a serious sprint leading up to yesterday's external review committee meeting & presentations.

Otherwise, I'm doing okay, kinda sorta mostly, though with high volatility. The weekend funk seems to be a pattern.

Oh, and the one extracurricular choir I've sung with off and on since 2003 has decided to call it quits after this concert, coming up just before Thanksgiving in late November. It's hard to find qualified singers, and we've tapped out pretty much all of our resources, looking for them. Renaissance music will go on; just not from us, in this particular ensemble. It was fun, it was maddening. I won't miss driving 128 at rush hour in the snow, going to rehearsals. I will miss the people. Perhaps we can have singing parties now and again.


< gzt expects that every man will do his duty | Comprehensive Spending Review link revival >
Fixing stuff. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Did ya get by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 10:02:20 AM EST
Norm to come out ?

Did you hear by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 11:29:42 AM EST
even one reference to an obscure, special-purpose tool even contractors don't normally have being used as casually as if it were a framing hammer?

No, you did not.

Don't ask silly questions when the answer is obvious...

[ Parent ]
I didn't know... by ana (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 11:41:47 AM EST
he was in the closet.

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

[ Parent ]
Those shirts he wears? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 11:55:57 AM EST
He is so closeted.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

[ Parent ]
Also... by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 11:56:26 AM EST
He built the closet.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

[ Parent ]
If I'm thinking of the same Norm by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 01:31:45 PM EST
he doesn't do electrical.

[ Parent ]
Which show ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 02:00:00 PM EST
Norm does the Yankee Workshop, but isn't he also in "This Old House" (or "The New This Old House") which I thought was in ana's backyard ?

(granted, they had subs that did almost all the work, so its fair to say Norm doesn't do electrical..)

[ Parent ]
Yes by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 06:32:35 PM EST
But on both shows, Norm is "master carpenter" and deals with the wood stuff and not electric.  On TOH he does host duty quite a bit, and talks to the subs, but doesn't do the work (unless it's woodworking).

Also, you're out of date, New Yankee was cancelled last year due to inability to get sponsors.  We cried.

[ Parent ]
it blinks! by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 11:56:52 AM EST
Wasn't it supposed to?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

No. by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Oct 26, 2010 at 12:26:25 PM EST
It also made buzzing sounds. Apparently too large a wattage or something, and some of the wires got fried.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

[ Parent ]
Fixing stuff. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback