Print Story Omniscient
By technician (Thu Oct 21, 2010 at 04:46:37 PM EST) (all tags)
Omnipotent, Omnipresent, Without Judgment.

Eternal.

I was staring at her freckles. I have a thing for freckles, like most guys. Actually, I have a thing for "flaws." Anything that makes a person less a statue and more a person, that's the thing I glom onto. I don't know anyone who is attracted to females who isn't also attracted to redheads, and I know a few guys who are attracted to guys who would fall for a redheaded girl.

But she weren't no redhead, as she liked to say with the thickest goddamn east Texas accent that anyone could hear without immediately running for clover. No, she's what they called Fair in Sunday school, what they called Strawberry in High School. What they called "Oh crap she sunburns easy" in college. Very slight red tinge to her hair, and these great freckles. Small build, pale green eyes, strong Irish jaw. The very best of mongrel America, really.

I'd been staring at her freckles, talking about whatever, work and music and movies and people and alcohol and random things, when she says to me, so, she says, what the hell are you going to do for a living?

Me? I say. Me? I'm already doing it. I am a perpetual technician, a problem gatherer. Many like me, I say. What we do is, we find the problems. We collect them. Sometimes we solve them but the good ones we can't solve. They hang like a nail, they catch every free thought and if you're like me, I say, you obsess. You burn hours and days frustrated and annoyed. You call the problem names, you give up on it a hundred times, you fuck off and you get hammered and you try to forget it, and then.

And then? she asks.

And then, I say. And then, boom. You find the right slippery path and almost before you can explain the solution or how you got it, almost too fast to comprehend, you just snap the pieces together and everything sings. Just, and I snap my fingers. Just like that. All of a sudden, like. Getting hit by a bus, like.

She smiles.

Wanna fuck?

Nope, I say, smiling. She knew the answer, of course. No, I say. Too goddamn easy.

Anyone can cheat, I say.

Everyone does, she says.

< Brand ambassadors with compelling conversation hooks to enter into communities and fuel advocacy | Imagine there's no Islam >
Omniscient | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
VS2FP by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Oct 22, 2010 at 07:10:00 AM EST
I like. Well told.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Agreed. by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Oct 22, 2010 at 08:03:11 AM EST
Redheads have always been my downfall. And uplift.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

I have a history by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Oct 22, 2010 at 05:36:45 PM EST
strewn with redheaded girls, clearly I'm drawn to them; they so pretty.

Nice story.
*twinkle*twinkle*

f*ing freckles! by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Oct 25, 2010 at 01:31:10 AM EST
Maybe that's just because I, like most girls with freckles, got teased all the time about the splotches.

I've been really careful as an adult and most of the time, I'm freckle-free. Although every now and then, I get stuck in the sun for a day and a few of the little bastards come back.

I hope you never teased a girl with freckles when you were a boy.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

Nope. by technician (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Oct 25, 2010 at 12:23:18 PM EST
I love a freckle.

Freckles by dmg (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Oct 25, 2010 at 05:34:03 PM EST
Make you look younger. FACT.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Freckles make you look by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Oct 25, 2010 at 08:01:59 PM EST
freckled. FACT.

Do these freckles look young?

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

For sure by dmg (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Oct 25, 2010 at 10:28:17 PM EST
Without the freckles she would look a lot older.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
Omniscient | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback