Print Story Meaningfully Introspected
By Kellnerin (Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 12:29:15 AM EST) (all tags)
I need a project. Or maybe I don't -- it's not like I'm sitting on a ton of free time with nothing to do with it. I think what I mean is that I'm looking for something to make time for.

MAYBE IT'S THE FACT that November is approaching that makes me want to embark on a project. Some kind of largish, arbitrarily structured undertaking. I don't know if I want to do NaNo exactly, or even approximately (like the thing I started a couple of Novembers ago that I didn't finish until months later), but something.

I have a few ideas. (The usual ideas. You know. We all have our own obsessions and well-trodden ruts, don't we?) Nothing coherent though. I guess my current impulse is something like the equivalent of wanting to use everything in the freezer, but for that I need recipes, or at least a definitive conclusion that what I'm going to make is food. That is: I'm looking for some kind of structure. Parameters. I think I've always been less enamored of the concept of "thinking outside the box" -- instead, I like to find interesting boxes and find out what you can do inside them.

There are several box-building tools I've found useful:

• Constrained by time: One month. 48 hours. 30 minutes.
  • Constrained by length: At least 50,000 words. No more than 200. Exactly 600.
  • Thematic: Post-apocalyptic. Hard-boiled. Narrated by an object. Parrots.
  • Scheduled: Yearly. Daily. Every Sunday at one o'clock.
  • Format: Plain text. Bulleted. Hyperlinked. Spoken out loud.
  • Collaboration: Taking random inputs from others. Offering outputs as inputs to others. Ignoring and/or complaining about them either way.
  • Distribution: Posted on a semi-private forum. Posted on a completely open forum. Twittered. Emailed. Publicized. Or not.
So, I figure by combining some cross-section of these elements I'll come up with something. Part of me wants to see how many of them I can pack into one project. Some of you might point out that I already had something like this going with my peri-apocalyptic Twitter story, and I should just fucking pick that up again, and that would be totally valid. And others might note that I already do some variation of the above as part of the prompted writing sessions every Sunday, but that's more a habit than a project. Then again, maybe what I'm looking for is a new habit. A practice. An activity, rather than a tangible result.

Anyway. If/when I figure something out I'll let you know (those of you who are interested). In the meantime, if you have any suggestions you want to throw into the mix, they would be welcome. Maybe I'll start a meta-project of trying out project ideas.

< open fire cooking question | Sadness >
Meaningfully Introspected | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)
Peri-apocalyptic story? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 01:56:33 AM EST
I thought G.W. Bush was ineligible for a third term.

The Constitution only counts by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #2 Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 10:12:34 AM EST
when Democrats bend it.

there's more than one way by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #3 Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 10:53:15 AM EST
to spin an apocalypse.

"Plans aren't check lists, they are loose frameworks for what's going to go wrong." -- technician
Projection by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 10:53:03 PM EST
Well, I do have the beginnings of a WFC idea. I figured enthusiasm levels should regenerate first before trying to get the engine turning over again. I guess it would be some sort of bio-engineered troll hybrid engine, for that metaphor to work. That runs on enthusiasm.

I get the sense you are looking for something a bit less ... fun ... though, or at least a bit more serious. Extensive.

Reading all those posts about cyborgs (well, still working my way through, really) gives me a bit of a hankering. It was a thematic multi-media FC, basically, just the participants were a bit more famous. I don't have a theme for such a thing, however.

Also, should the AE site still say Oct 2010? Is there some high quality mountiepunk assaulting an unsuspecting internet in the next 12 days?

Iambic Web Certified

projectifying and the challenge of fun by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 11:53:17 PM EST
First of all, I'm excited to see what's cooking in the ol' Scrymarchian brainpan for a WFC. But I agree a WFC would probably benefit from waiting another month or two.

Certainly, though, good things can come from *FCs. Even if they're in the spirit of fun above all, and an FC's scope is smaller than the kind of thing I'm craving, sometimes an idea evolves. Just ask ana.

If you couldn't tell, I am so, so envious of the 50 cyborgs project. But also feel I'm a beneficiary of its existence so I don't mind too much. Confession: I haven't read all of them either. Partly it's been a matter of time, but there's also this sense of it being a box of chocolates that I don't want to gobble through too quickly. But yeah -- something like that would be totally awesome, although I also don't have the thematic inspiration or the wherewithal to orchestrate such a thing. It does give one ideas, though ...

Finally, with apologies for having written such a Kellnerin-centric diary -- yes: be assured that things are afoot behind the scenes at AE. All shall be revealed soon.

AE: cool by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 02:08:18 AM EST
How very unreasonable of you to address individual-centric topics in a diary, of all places.

Iambic Web Certified

i have no ideas. by clock (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 08:17:48 AM EST
but i do like to read.

that's about all i've got.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Meaningfully Introspected | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)