Print Story Hooray, I am obese!
By riceowlguy (Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 11:01:14 AM EST) (all tags)
This rules!

It's better than being morbidly obese, right?

Hopefully in a year or so I can have the "ain't it great, riceowlguy's overweight" party when I hit 225.

The long period of too-perfect data is the two months or so that physicsdiet.com lost when their hosting company completely cocked up.  I should probably work on getting it exported/backed up somehow.

As you can see, things have not been quite as rosy lately, but it was not realistic to expect that I would continue to lose weight at a 2.5 pound-per-week clip.  I am starting to worry a bit about plateauing...I either need to get back to serious hardcore daily workouts, or I need to find some other major source of calories to pitch overboard now that I appear to have wrung what I can out of not eating dessert every night and avoiding red meat.  Maintaining food discipline is getting harder, though.  I've got a fridge full of beer and a pantry full of wine that I keep picking up and then not drinking because I don't want the calories.  Maybe I just need to host a Houston HuSiMeet at my place and get rid of the stuff?  Of course, Mrs. McClocky wouldn't be much help right now...

< on musical venn diagrams | Boat Books >
Hooray, I am obese! | 44 comments (44 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Cutting out alcohol will help. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 11:09:21 AM EST
I replaced the PB&J at lunch with an apple and a granola bar. Cut back on cookies/cake at AA meetings. Back to losing one lb/week.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

If all I had for lunch by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 11:38:53 AM EST
was an apple and a granola bar, I'd probably start screaming at my co-workers in the afternoons starting around 2:30pm.

you mean you don't already ? by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 11:47:41 AM EST
sheeet..

Thats Ok by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #36 Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 04:29:47 AM EST
Co workers make the perfect afternoon snack.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
That might help. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 11:43:27 AM EST
Three things (not really a direct reply to Wiredog).
  1. Man, that mid-May to August run is amazing in its consistency.
  2. Getting a reputable dietician and/or trainer of sorts might be a worthwhile idea if you find things are slowing down, especially if you're the sort who thinks, "Okay, I'm paying this guy, so I'd better do what he says." Beware, though, that any guy with a clipboard can make you tired and wear you out (okay, and sometimes that's all you really need) and any guy with a clipboard can tell you to eat more fruit and veg and less lard (okay, and sometimes that's all you really need), but if you're in need of something more, it might take more than that, so it's worth poking around.
  3. At 290-something, though, you probably just need to keep up the consistent exercise and diet. At some point, you'll need to start building some muscle with resistance training if you aren't already.

and I realize... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 11:44:47 AM EST
...that it's smoothed over, but, end-point to end-point, it indicates good consistent work.

I do bear that in mind by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #40 Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 11:48:34 AM EST
I don't drink very often, or perhaps I should say that I don't drink as much as I'd like to.  I think I'd love to have a glass of wine or three every night, but I know that would be almost just as caloric as a pint of Ben and Jerry's....

YES I CAN! by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 11:45:52 AM EST
because i can bring it home and hoard it for when i start drinking again (probably 1.5 years from now).

or i'll just make clock drink it, since i can't.

anyway, congrats on the weight loss!  you're doing a fabulous job!

Not with beer. by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 02:28:56 PM EST
Wine, sure, but I don't know of tasty beer that can last a year and a half on the shelf.

let me have my happy place by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 02:56:12 PM EST
plus, clock and his brother will drink it all before i ever get a chance.

Au contraire! by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 03:43:08 PM EST
Tasty beer ... on the shelf ... year and a half ... OR MORE: Buy a barleywine. A good one if you can, but really, just about any one will do. Sierra Nevada's "Bigfoot," which is quite tasty but still one of the lesser examples of the style that I've had, ages marvelously ... 4 years, 6 years, 8 ...

North Coast's "Old Stock Ale" is 1) delicious, 2) available in much of the country (I get it in Tuscaloosa of all places), and 3) also ages well.

High-alcohol brews are perhaps not what you're looking for, but tasty beers that age? -- "Yes we can!"

Also ... by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 03:46:17 PM EST
Welcome to the Obese Club!

Take a load off.

I've been here a while. I see that you're new, so take a look around and get comfortable; I hope you like the company, etc. We're a pretty inclusive group.

Someday I hope to join Overweighting for Good Dough ... mmm, a slice of pie.

make clock drink it by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #37 Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 05:56:35 AM EST
I am reminded of the episode of The Simpsons ("Burns, Baby Burns") where Smithers and Burns are stuck on a stopped train:

Burns: Oh this might take a while, Smithers.  Why don't you get drunk and stumble around comically for my amusement?

Smithers: [taking bottle of booze]  I'll be a one-man conga line.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Hooray! by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 11:51:34 AM EST
MEEEE TOOOOOOO!!

Nice! by technician (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 11:55:44 AM EST
Very well done. As for a HouHuSiMeet, a darn fine idea, though I have yet to be able to actually get to Houston for any length of time.

The only things that helped me with plateau phases back in the day was a radical change for a week or so in both exercise and diet, which would get things sort of kicked back over, then I could return to whatever plan I was on. This worked for both exercise and diet, back then. I'd hit a plateau, and switch to six small veggie meals a day and some sort of protein shake to supplement (this is back when I was weightlifting) and a lot of aerobic and walking type exercises.

Nowadays, not so much. I've increased my exercise, decreased my calories, and I'm still 250 pounds. Some days I'm 247, some days I'm 252, but overall, I've been the same weight since May...back when five miles was my long run. I've given up on the idea of losing weight...I don't think I can...and I'm just sticking to ~2000cal, with lunch as my largest meal. I'm positive that I have a tumor that just happens to be growing at the same rate as my weight loss.

I don't understand this by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 05:13:42 PM EST
I see your running stuff on FB and it's always long, like five miles? For real? That's long. I seriously don't understand, physiologically, if you are taking in a less then 2000 calorie diet, and running that much how you are not losing weight.  I mean, 1500 would move it off faster but you are MOST definitely losing fat though, so is it  that you just don't comment on your body appearance changes? Cause you must look different right? I mean, losing inches? more toned? smaller gut, thighs and belly? It's not possible to run three times a week, 5 miles or more, and not lose inches and/or pounds.  It's simply not, unless you have some sort of other medical condition were already in good condition (not carrying extra weight). I just don't understand. I read your updates and am constantly baffled.
*twinkle*twinkle*

I too am baffled. by technician (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 05:18:38 PM EST
My body composition has changed a bit, but not much. I can't move to 1500 cals...less than 1800 and you need a doctor's help. But I was at 1800 for about five weeks (eating 6 small meals a day) and....no change.

I still look about the same, and I feel about the same. My pant size has gone down, but not much.

My weekly average is between 17 and 20 miles.

Input+Exercise by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 05:57:57 PM EST
Are the two factors so it must be the input. I do 1500 as much as possible. Why do you feel you require a doctor for that? I drink a shake of some kind in the morning (force myself to, if I had my druthers I eat ridiculously sporadically and at all the wrong times) eat a small lunch with veggies and whatnot, and then a medium dinner.  I know everyone is different in what they require food wise, I know CBB requires food way more often throughout the day, low blood sugar is NOT good for him whereas I can not eat or drink until 11am and not even notice (though be SO thirsty when I do). So, I know he has to try and have healthy snacks, or hope that I buy them for him really.. hahahaha... I wish I could be as good as you have been with your routine, I was doing really well before summer, but it all went to shit then. Tonight is my workout group again which through some luck for me is held across the street at the back of the church, I hope it will give me the impetus I need to start up my routine again cause I was really feeling good there for a bit and lost some weight which was neato-mosquito. I wish I could run 20 miles. Crikey. I use the heathen's metric and I know it's less then miles so haven't done that yet.

*twinkle*twinkle*

There's a lot more chaos than math. by technician (2.00 / 0) #20 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 06:23:39 PM EST
I'm using the guidance of a dietician and my doctor, who both have warned against Dudes (Of A Certain Age) getting less than 1850 cals per day. I re-adjusted it today, to 1850. At that cal rate, someone my age, size, and activity level should lose 2 pounds a week. Which explains why I gained two.

I hardly use the food tracker at livestrong.com anymore (I did religiously for seven months), but I put in what I've had today, and what exercise I've done today. So far, after my afternoon snack, I've had +420 cals today. I need an additional 1430 to get to my goal of 1850. I probably won't make it...most days I don't unless I go out to have pizza or a lot of beer.

Today's lunch seemed particularly heavy at 1119 calories....lunch is my biggest meal.

So. I've an appointment with a nutritionist, and I'm armed with a shitload of relevant food data about my meals from January through July (and some of August through today, but not nearly as much) as well as my GPS logged running, and a handy heartrate chart. Spoke to him just briefly when I made the appointment and he said old dudes, they just don't lose the weight. He said, hey, statistically, you should be gaining weight. So there's that. And I need to exercise 6 days a week, but I haven't figured out how to do that and not get injured.

I should mention by technician (2.00 / 0) #21 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 06:25:06 PM EST
that the livestrong calorie counter shows my "net calories" at +420. That's after my morning run, which was (best guess) ~900 calories of work.

Wow by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #22 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 06:31:58 PM EST
I see you've done your homework. I off the cuff find it weird that you would be told that 1850 cal is required, but those people probably know what they are talking about and whatnot. I suppose it is heart issues they are concerned about? I will have to read more about this to comment further.

It still seems weird to me. I suppose this is good evidence why we can't trust our feelings. Damned science.

*twinkle*twinkle*

Macronutrients and bone density loss by technician (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 08:23:38 PM EST
and a few other concerns revolving around the liver (for me, anyhow).

One of my co-workers is on a doctor supervised 500 cal diet, which requires him eating special food substitutes and some mild vitamins, and going to the doctor once a week, and etc.

I think chicks can get away with less calories.

Yeah, just what she said. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 09:30:53 PM EST
It's fucking perplexing, man. Have you had your thyroid examined?

Oddly, by technician (4.00 / 1) #33 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 10:34:42 PM EST
I did a blood test just today. Everything is normal.

Swimming, I think by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 09:48:09 PM EST
If you can do it. It's the least stress on the joints, you're being cushioned all over by water, and in between laps you can do do underwater resistance.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

I can swim, by technician (2.00 / 0) #34 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 10:36:24 PM EST
and there are pools that I could get to. I should actually say, I barely swim.

I'm going to go back to bodyweight exercises on off days. The concern is that I'll stress my legs and not be able to make 12 or 15 miles.

Stress your legs? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #35 Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 03:06:51 AM EST
What does that MEAN? Afraid you'll injure them?

Find a local pool with a Master's program and practice with the team for a couple of weeks to see if their coach is competent. You probably won't be charged dues for a trial period. Don't neglect to pre/post stretch either.

Yeah. by technician (4.00 / 1) #39 Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 10:35:46 AM EST
I've had to change my stride to deal with my knees, and my ankles are the next thing to start going.

getting older is not for sissies by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #42 Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 01:56:00 PM EST
When a long-time friend found out I was doing TKD, he said, "At our age? Are you kidding??!"

I am friends with the ibuprofen bottle.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

My liver by technician (4.00 / 1) #43 Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 05:12:29 PM EST
gets tested regularly due to the enormous amount of non- and steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs I've taken. My doctor was happy this time when my liver functions came back normal for the second time in a row.

I try to stay away from painkillers now.

I only did 1300 today. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #23 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 07:18:21 PM EST
That was as far as Mars Bars (US:Milky Way) were concerned. There were normal meals involved, too. My body's a bit weird like that.

Hmm, that might have been jerkish by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 08:32:02 PM EST
if you don't have the context of how my body works/fails to work. Actually, works well at the moment: this time 8 years ago, a very different story.

Still, I can't imagine what it'd be like having to cut back. And I nay have to soon.

My weight has plateaued for quite some time by lm (2.00 / 0) #28 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 08:46:17 PM EST
A few weeks ago I hit 5 miles a day, six days a week. I've been peeling off about a pound a week ever since without changing much with regards to diet.

But, to be fair, I don't really track what I eat. So I may have, in fact, started to eat less. I've backed off the weight machines for a bit and it could be that I'm less hungry and eating less.

Cicero, The Republic
Thanks by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #41 Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 11:50:45 AM EST
Actually, over the past few days, I've been back to eating salad for lunch and working out a lot more.  I've had more free time the past couple days than normal.

Congrats on the progress by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 11:56:32 AM EST

A HouSi meet? by atreides (4.00 / 1) #10 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 01:00:47 PM EST
You know I'm down! When? Hopefully not while Welsh Girl is in labor or nothin'...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

congratulations. by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 03:21:38 PM EST
that's some impressive progress.

keep up the good work.

That is SOO by littlestar (4.00 / 1) #17 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 05:16:17 PM EST
AWESOME! Good for you. Changing it up is certainly important I have been told many times by trainers and have found anecdotally. I have been trying to do different sorts of losing weight/toning activities in trying to achieve my goal but it is hard to find time and keep it up. Good on you for doing it. Best of luck continuing!
*twinkle*twinkle*

I have a plan by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #27 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 08:45:35 PM EST
for when I can really exercise again!  I was doing great with my interval jogging up until the morning sickness + heat got to be too much for me (I'm bummed out that now the heat's gone, but I have other physical problems preventing me from jogging).  I plan on starting jogging again next June or so (lots of assumptions there) and doing the kettlebell thing that clock is doing.  It's been 2 weeks and I notice a big difference on him (then again, he can switch to light beer and drop 20 lbs).  The kettlebell is small (easy to store!) and affordable (under $100 at the heavier weights) and the workout is only 15 minutes or so (I can find 15 minutes, esp with clock helping!).  I NEVER EVER want to be in the total crap state of physical fitness I've been in since I had The Dude.  I've felt terrible and been totally weak.  BUT I HAVE A PLAN!

Getting back in shape by iGrrrl (4.00 / 2) #31 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 09:52:04 PM EST
I got really out of shape with #2. I've usually been pretty good about exercising at home, but it just wasn't enough. Then they both got old enough to start Tae Kwan Do, and I started lessons, too. I love it, in part because it's both exercise and learning a new skill set.

I'd still like to lose another 10 to get a bit below pre-#1, but I haven't been this strong/flexible since I moved heavy objects for a living.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

I was below pre-marriage #1 in May! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #38 Fri Oct 15, 2010 at 09:24:34 AM EST
then I started putting on my summer 5-10 (I always put on weight in the summer, since it's too hot to do anything), then I got my parasite.  I'm now up 20 from where I was in May, which is only 10 up from my first OB appointment.  Fortunately, I don't seem to be retaining fluids like I did with The Dude.

levelling off by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #24 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 07:37:52 PM EST
It's what's happened to me this last 2 months.  So when I decide to up the exercise the back goes out.  focus on the good habits and ignore the plateaus as much as you can.

Click
Hey! you've done great! by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #32 Thu Oct 14, 2010 at 09:52:49 PM EST
That chart is impressive.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Congratulations by Herring (4.00 / 1) #44 Sat Oct 16, 2010 at 12:03:15 PM EST
I have gone from Obese to Overweight in the last 18 months. 15lbs away from "normal" now. How? By pedalling my bicycle(s) really fucking hard. Only been losing about 2lbs/month but it all adds up.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky