Print Story Look upon my works, ye mighty
By Breaker (Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 06:09:56 PM EST) (all tags)
And despair.

Inside:
The Shoe Castille - final edition.
MiniBreaker
Choose my decor!
\m/

So this weekend saw the commission of MBW's Shoe Castille.

First up, get that ugly flue out of sight.

Unwrapping the loft insulation to pack the boxing with was a little harder than anticipated:

My skilled assistant demonstrated how to prepare the soundproofing;

I packed the soundproofing in as hard as I could.

Sadly the first attempt just didn't have enough fixing points, so more batons needed to screw into

Whilst that was drying, I started to put the carcass together.

Then finally the doors.

At the most heartbreaking moment, I now had to disassemble the doors and half the cabinet.  The shelfs are assembled already and won't fit in; the cabinet has to be built around them.

Building the carcass whilst I can still get inside was necessary - easy to clamp things in place and screw them into place, and check levels.

I still nearly cried when taking it all apart again though.

Batons now dried nicely, time to fight the bottom panel into place.

Then the rebuild.  Damned glad I'd gone to the trouble of getting everything pre-drilled and screwed, it was damnably tight between the uprights and the shelving.

Done.

And fucking well done.

Job done then.  Off to a long hot bath.

Astute readers will note the white wine in preparation on the bath side.

The gap on the corner between the front and side panel is awaiting some 18mm quarter dowel to fill it in; I cannot buy one for love or money at the minute.

Once that's done, for the side panel, we are going to cover it with one of the three papers below, as a featured um feature.

-------

Damn I wish I could play like this guy.

< dentist today, test today | Question for the SQL experts >
Look upon my works, ye mighty | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
awesome work! by clock (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Oct 11, 2010 at 08:01:40 PM EST
and don't play like anyone but yourself.  i'm in a particularly philosophical mood wrt playing these days.  treatise to follow.

The Dude says that "the little girl is funny!" about the pic with the insulation.  so there ya go.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

It's not the content as such by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 05:23:45 AM EST
Although I'd like that versatility, it's more the technical ability.  Sweep picking still eludes me and for the kind of stuff I play, it's a useful technique to have in the repertoire.

I shall look forward to your forthcoming treatise!

And yes, MiniBreaker is indeed funny.  She's on the verge of talking but hasn't quite got it yet so there's some crazy running about and lots of babbling.

(Comment Deleted) by aggressive cyclist (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 07:00:55 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by aggressive cyclist

Is it camels out that way? by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 07:37:34 AM EST
Or horses?

(Comment Deleted) by aggressive cyclist (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 08:06:25 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by aggressive cyclist

Who gets the dowry? by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 08:54:45 AM EST
It could be a new lathe and a top end sewing machine!

I've only met you once but... by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 04:15:14 AM EST
Have you lost weight?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Oh you can post here again! by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 05:29:08 AM EST
Yes I have.

Massive DIY in the house and building the shed means I've been clocking up ~25 hours physical work every weekend, and a couple of hours each night.

The eating holiday I went on recently undid a lot of that good work, though.

Excellent! by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 07:44:06 AM EST
The Husi diet!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

To be honest by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 07:58:00 AM EST
I'm eating far more the last couple of months than I do normally.

But less beer as I'm working, and lots of exercise seems to be doing the trick.

Maybe I should write a book, "The HuSi Diet".  Price £5K, shed included.

UPDATE! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 3) #11 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 09:28:36 AM EST
"I like that girl.  She is my friend.  She is making a mess."

also

"I want to say 'hi' to daddy's friend."

So there you go.

Great work!

Cute! Does The Dude by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 10:09:12 AM EST
Know that MiniBreaker's latest trick is to kiss people?

i just asked by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #13 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 10:18:28 AM EST
and he said that's fine.

he's quite obsessed with you this morning.  he's convinced that you were on his show.  he also asked if you have a mouth.

i wonder if i can use that to my advantage and get him off to school without any fights.  hrm.

Ewww! Girl kisses!!! by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #14 Tue Oct 12, 2010 at 10:40:01 AM EST
Actually, dribbly snotty ones at that!

I do have a mouth, despite having shot it off many times.

Just spoke to MBW and MiniBreaker says "oooh-ga-da-da" which is, in MiniBreakerese, "hello".

Hmm, not even 2 years old and she's already saying hello to the boys...

Wallpaper: Just Say No by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Oct 13, 2010 at 08:20:48 AM EST
If I ever meet the guy who invented it, he's getting a throat punch.

Hmmm by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Oct 13, 2010 at 09:23:25 AM EST
One more coat of gloss or half a day covered in glue?

Choices, choices...

Think of it this way by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Oct 13, 2010 at 10:41:39 AM EST
You don't like [your|previous tenant's] decorating choice.  If this choice was made with paint, you spend ~$25 for a new gallon of paint (substitute appropriate local units) and an hour or two to apply it.  If this choice was made with wallpaper, chances are it is peeling, and must be taken down to redecorate, whether with paper or paint.  Taking down wallpaper is Teh Suck, requiring you to laboriously score it, apply solvents, and scrape.

If YBW absolutely requires some frilly pattern on the walls, suggest painting with stencils.

Ah: re-read diary by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Oct 13, 2010 at 10:44:34 AM EST
It's only one single strip on the side of the wardrobe, so no biggie.

...? by nstenz (2.00 / 0) #19 Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 01:42:47 PM EST
Insulation/soundproofing is supposed to be installed as loosely as possible, yes?

I don't know by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #20 Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 05:46:39 PM EST
Winging it.

Then yes, it is. by nstenz (2.00 / 0) #21 Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 07:00:55 PM EST

It's most effective at the density it comes out of the packaging in. The air inside of it does a lot of the buffering by separating the strands of the material from each other.

For what you used it for though, it probably isn't a huge deal. Just a tip for next time.

It's not like it was banded into compression by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #22 Sun Oct 17, 2010 at 07:31:31 PM EST
And it is still soft to the touch, it's not like I hammered it in there so it was solid.  What I was concerned with was not creating an empty echo chamber of hollow space within the boxing that would amplify the sound.

It was pushed in hard so as to mould over the top of the flue; maybe I compromised the efficiency that way.

But at the end of the day, with the bathroom and bedroom doors shut, you don't hear the fan.  If either or both doors are open, you hear the fan from the direction of the bathroom, not from inside the bedroom.

I checked this before filling the screw countersinks, sanding and final coat glossing.

The only other soundprrofing I could find was in 8'x4' sheets, for about 60 quid.  They'd not fit around the flue without some serious fettling, and I'd have about 80% left over for which I have no use.

Looked like the right way to go. by nstenz (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 12:26:57 AM EST

Heh by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #24 Mon Oct 18, 2010 at 06:18:07 AM EST
You pays your money and you makes your choices!

Look upon my works, ye mighty | 24 comments (24 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback