Print Story Hey, weather dude,
By nightflameblue (Fri Jan 08, 2010 at 07:39:42 AM EST) (all tags)
I realize you think this cold is awesome because it gives you lots of opportunities to interrupt other programs with your dire warnings and apocalyptic predictions, but could you mask your joy just a little while telling the rest of us we're gonna be freakin' miserable? Just a little? That routine where you went outside with a warm cup of water and then threw it in the air to make snow this morning while laughing like a school-girl was a bit much.

k thnx bye.

17 below zero in that F shaped degree actual this morning. Something like 45 below windchill. And the weatherman is acting like it's the greatest thing EVAR! We may set a record low high today, with the predicted high to be eight below.

When it gets this cold I just want to hibernate. And I don't mean stay in the house. I mean curl up in the fetal position in bed, surround myself with puppies, kitties and wifey, and not move for days. Unfortunately, I'm a responsible bitch and find myself getting up to get ready and then eventually go to work. Why? Because I'm probably not all that bright. It's the only theory I've got at the moment.

Zippy couldn't be bothered to come in yesterday because of the snow. Everybody else made it. The boss accepted that zipper just didn't feel like digging out. If I knew that was a valid reason I can assure you I wouldn't have been in.

The dogs are not amused by this weather. Pup1 doesn't even like to go out when she has to for the bathroom. She'll run out, barely get off the concrete, go, run back in. Pup2 gets all worried about the neighbor pups. Unfortunately, the way she expresses this worry is to run out to their part of the shared fence, and then bark to call them out and make sure they're OK. At this point, it's too cold for her to make it to all of them in one trip, so we've been watching her closely and making sure she just goes, does her business, and comes back in. Then she wants to go back out in ten minutes to start checking neighbor pups. We have to really keep an eye on her or she'll just stand out there staring at neighbor's yards barking and freeze to death.

Kitties get zero outside time. It angers them, but I'd rather have an angry kitty than a dead kitty. I can tolerate being tripped a few times a day and the occasional spilled glass of water. Meh.

Now to find some method to prevent myself from falling asleep. Hibernation is calling, even at work. I hate cold.

< They Call Alabama The Crimson Tide... | BODY_PART_TBL - Body Parts Codes >
Hey, weather dude, | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
it's 25F here by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jan 08, 2010 at 08:52:14 AM EST
that's cold for Houston.  My house has like NO insulation and single pane windows, so it's cold inside.  I've been having dreams about insulating the walls and changing out the windows.

And I realized this morning that I have only 1 or 2 long sleeved shirts.  Maybe as many as 4.

I'm going to ahve to take The Dude to the mall so he can play, yuck.

25F? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jan 08, 2010 at 09:33:57 AM EST
It's all Al Gore's fault, you know.

If this global warming thing keeps going by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jan 08, 2010 at 10:12:47 AM EST
we're gonna be in a new ice-age in another year or so.

Insulation/windows: why? by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jan 11, 2010 at 10:58:04 AM EST
Presumably, insulation works to prevent heat transfer no matter which side you want to control the temperature of.  Wouldn't you want to not pay to cool down your outside air just as much as us northerners don't want to pay to heat our outside air?

yes yes blah blah by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jan 11, 2010 at 03:34:27 PM EST
i don't notice the heat in the summer, so i don't think of it then.

It's not that weather guys are sadists by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jan 08, 2010 at 08:56:36 AM EST
It's just that the job is much more fun when it's interesting. You should see how Bob Ryan et alia act when the hurricane warnings go up in late summer.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I suppose. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jan 08, 2010 at 09:03:16 AM EST
We did get drunk as hell together that night the entire IT department pulled an all nighter to fix up the email server. Granted, we weren't laughing at people in the morning. Hard to laugh with a hangover.

That would explain "Storm Watch" by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jan 08, 2010 at 09:48:08 AM EST
when we get more than 0.05" of rain in SoCal.  Being a weatherman here must be incredibly boring.

I've been in SoCal during >.05" of rain by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Jan 08, 2010 at 10:43:28 PM EST
in January. I think that 5" of snow in DC would produce roughly the same number of accidents. I think they did mention that the last rain was in October or something though.

Wumpus

This month? Or last January? by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #8 Sat Jan 09, 2010 at 02:24:02 PM EST
We had some good rain in December, sure needed it.  But yeah, generally it's months between rains, so there's almost always a good coat of oil on the road to really make things slick for the first few hours.

Hey, weather dude, | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback