Print Story A few pictures.
By nightflameblue (Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 09:51:34 PM EST) (all tags)
Just 'cause I'm in that mood.

This was the crapstack we were given the day we got LLT. This was the home she lived in for most of a year. Her only source of heat, a standard-issue 100 WATT light bulb in a reflector placed on her cage-top, had been left unplugged for a couple months before we received her because her previous owner "didn't want to waste electricity" on her.

This was what she moved into the next day when the stores opened. I still remember the look on her face when I put her in there. She looked from side to side twice, then looked up at me as if to say, "are you kidding? This is a joke right?" Then she promptly found the warm part of the floor and curled up in the hot-hide on the right, where she mostly stayed until she discovered the joy of the warm-moist hide in the middle. She'd never had a moist hide before as far as we know, and now spends nearly all of her time there when she's not out stomping around or hunting.

This is what happens on cleaning day when she gets to be too much of a handful for Mrs. NFB to hold. Mrs. NFB hovers to protect her, and sets her in the container which has a water-warmed towel under it on a plastic plate to keep her heat levels up. The others stare, and rarely if ever make a move towards her. When the kitties try, the pup tends to knock them back.

This is LLT, getting disgusted with me taking pictures and wasting time while her palace is in disarray. She watches me like a hawk when I'm cleaning her enclosure. I think the first few times she was afraid she was losing it as I tore it down. Now I think she's just annoyed that her subject can't hot-swap every piece and be done in thirty seconds rather than ten minutes.

Cats stop cuddling together when they grow up. Or so we keep getting told.

We bought a snow-blower this weekend. Beats the hell out of doing this:

BTW, this is the way we do it in South Dakota. People who aren't pussies don't bother with the gloves and long socks.

< New Year 2010 | AskHuSi: Google DNS >
A few pictures. | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
So admittedly, by FlightTest (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 11:09:42 PM EST
LLT doesn't do much for me, I mean, she looks cool, but, meh.

On the other hand .... KITTIES!!!!!  So cute all snuggled together.

Yeah. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 07:31:25 AM EST
Reptiles aren't everyone's cup-o-tea. Mrs. NFB didn't care for them much before we had her either. Having to help with feedings twice a day and holding her often, getting to see the personality, sort of turned her around. I doubt there's much pictures could do to convert those who aren't inherently interested.

she's cute! by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 11:25:55 PM EST
and that's a lovely new tail she has there. she's also looking like she's getting properly plump like a gecko should.
---------
Poor kid. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 07:38:04 AM EST
When I found out the guy dropped a hide on her original tail it made me even madder at him.

It's funny, you'd have thought all that baby food would have plumped her up, but she didn't really start packing on the weight until she switched to crickets and worms.

I need to start getting pictures of all the new fishies too. We have dwarf flame gouramis, neons, cories, and a beta that all need photos yet. Guy at the shop gave me a mirror and said, "here, hold that up to any beta you're interested in. If they don't flare, don't take them." The guy I picked didn't just flare, he acted like he was gonna tear himself apart. I'm starting to like that shop guy. Sucks cause I'm about done buying fish for another year or so. At least until I have room for my tank in my office.

yay fish! by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 04:33:55 PM EST
i wish i could keep dwarf gourami...they don't like the water here, i don't think, because i'm not the only one who can raise almost anything else but lose those every time...
---------
So far so good. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 09:03:58 PM EST
But we're using RO water reconstituted with a small PH buffer to keep the levels from fluctuating like crazy. Seems like all the fish we've tried thus far have done really well in it.

Creatures! by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 02:56:12 PM EST
I love all of your creatures. I can't believe your cats just watch LLT without trying to catch her. The cuddling cats photo is of course, adorable as is the one where we get a close up of LLT's little face. So cute.

Hahahah... also, I've totally looked similar while cleaning snow, you go out just to do the stairs and then you think, what the hell, I'm already here, might as well clean the whole walkway.

*twinkle*twinkle*

Our pets. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 03:16:39 PM EST
They're a little strange as far as animals go. I don't know if we smother them too much or what, but they seem to pick up on the whole "family" vibe. Especially the dogs, but the younger two kitties are really good with any smaller animal that they know we've claimed. Occassionally our older boy will get carried away with his instincts, but it doesn't take much more than a scolding and he'll back off.

And the snow thing was actually just a situation where we had to get something from the back yard to the driveway and the sidewalk along the side of the house was covered. So I just ran out and did it quick and Mrs. NFB thought I looked hilarious shoveling snow done up that way so started snapping pics.

Animal love vibe by littlestar (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jan 05, 2010 at 08:30:49 AM EST
Yeah, I know what you mean, We have a small lunch type bunny (Tiptoe is his name) who runs around our house and for some reason our giant dog does not try to eat him, or even chase him (although they do like to touch noses now and again, just to reconnect), and our youngest cat plays with him and all cats but one are good friends with him (the timid cat is scared of him as she is of all things that move or look like they may move soon). I recognise how special it is though, everytime I see furry little Tiptoe put his nose up and Seffie her head down and they are nose to nose, Tiptoe's head is the size of her ear, it would be nothing at all for her to kill him and eat him, but she doesn't. That's family!

*twinkle*twinkle*

Yeah. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jan 05, 2010 at 09:01:24 AM EST
Some of the cutest moments in our house now are LLT saying goodnight to the pups before she goes back in her enclosure. She licks their noses, and their nostrils are almost big enough to suck her head in. Pup2 will occassionally lick her back really carefully. Which is hilarious because Pup2 does what we call the death-cuddles to humans, where she kisses so hard it throws your head back over and over again. But with LLT it's like she just touches her tongue to her then stops.

The pups love their pack. Even the cold-blooded relatives.

It's amazing how family can override who knows how many years of bred-in hunting capabilities. And Pup2 is a hunter, no doubt. We have had dead rabbits, birds, squirrels, moles, and a bat to prove it. But family overrides all.

*rowr* long white athletic socks /nt by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 05:11:23 PM EST

That reminds me by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 07:36:03 PM EST
of this for some reason.
Looks a lot like here in Wisconsin by CountSpatula (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 09:02:12 PM EST
Except that here, people who aren't pussies can milk 35 head without using gloves or wearing pants.  Although, the pre-, during- and post-milking beers are still a staple.

Organics.
"I've never been more afraid of a diary comment EVAR." - RapidHamster
I never thought I would say this by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #12 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 09:05:57 PM EST
but Iowa must be better than Wisconsin. For me it was 125 head. Gloves and milking don't mix. Pants are ALWAYS optional on the farm, but, uh, try to remember when it's a good idea. Like when baling straw.

I'm only working 35 head by CountSpatula (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 09:40:36 PM EST
because it's an organic family farm, back in a coulee.  Of course, there's also a shitload of chickens, all of the kitties to look after, the cattle (as well as the offspring) and the couple hundred acres that are coming under the blade once hard frost leaves.

And, yeah, I know when to wear pants.

Like, when bucketing up manure while the cows are out in the pasture.

Organics.
"I've never been more afraid of a diary comment EVAR." - RapidHamster

Goddamn hippies. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 11:33:37 PM EST
Bucketing. Lawdy.

Skid Loader = pants optional. You're gonna have to shower after anyway.

yay by misslake (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Jan 05, 2010 at 10:29:54 AM EST
thanks for the wonderful pictures!

No need for a coat by duxup (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Jan 05, 2010 at 12:11:22 PM EST
Here in MN if it is above zero I don't bother with a coat when getting the mail... or pants if I'm wearing shorts.  It isn't a long walk.

____
Yeah. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #19 Tue Jan 05, 2010 at 12:16:26 PM EST
We're supposed to have five inches of snow with real temps around -10 and windchills around -30 this week. I may consider a coat when doing the driveway for that sort of temp.

A few pictures. | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback