Print Story My first political act of 2010
By codemonkey uk (Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 04:04:28 AM EST) (all tags)
Regarding EDM403, I have written to my MP, who happens to be a signatory.  My letter is "below the fold".

Dear Mike Hancock,

I am writing to tell you that, despite having voted LibDem most of my adult life, I will not be doing so in the upcoming election, since I do not feel I can vote for a man who supports the suppression of free speech at the hands of religious special interest groups, as you have done with your signing of the Early Day Motion (403) seeking to the censorship of the British Humanist Association.

ref: http://edmi.parliament.uk/EDMi/EDMDetails.aspx?EDMID=37418&SESSION=899

Yours sincerely,

Thaddaeus Frogley

< Messengers | We saw Avatar. >
My first political act of 2010 | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Well, if they did ban them by Herring (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 11:25:14 AM EST
I'd certainly chip in for a new sign reading "Ever wondered if God wants you to be a condescending homophobic twat? The Alpha Course"

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Always remember: by ucblockhead (4.00 / 3) #2 Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 11:58:41 AM EST
Insulting: "There is no God"

Not insulting: "If you are an atheist, you have no morals and are likely a sexual deviant who can't be trusted around children."
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Political acts by duxup (4.00 / 1) #3 Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 03:31:49 PM EST

I am no expert on UK politics but from what I can tell you guys pretty much peeked in terms of noteworthy political acts with Guy Fawkes.

____
see also by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #5 Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 04:30:38 PM EST
The Last Man to Enter Parliament with Honest Intentions.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
I'm not sure you by ni (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 03:47:16 PM EST
are fully clear on what "free speech" is. The right to have one's advertisements displayed on the sides of publicly owned buses is one of the less frequently represented ones in the legal frameworks of the world.

i see by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #6 Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 04:36:08 PM EST
so, in your mind, the government censoring on the basis of religion (or lack there of) is just fine and dandy?

Free speech being that people can say what they want, as long as they do it in the privacy of their own homes where they won't upset those nice folks who talk to invisible sky giants and read the daily mail?

Or was there some other point you were trying to make?

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

The government by ni (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 07:33:29 AM EST
refusing to take ads that might be thought offensive on public run property is entirely fine, entirely common, and entirely unrelated to free speech.

As minor addendum, by ni (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 07:36:45 AM EST
to avoid conclusions easily leapt to, I have no opinion at all on whether this specific ad should be allowed.

Er, the government don't own the buses by Herring (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 11:40:31 AM EST
this group is trying to legislate on what adverts may be carried by private buses.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
I began typing a response to this, by ni (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 02:01:54 PM EST
but the truth is that I've lost interest.

Problem is that religious groups do the same. by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 02:58:56 AM EST
So politicians demanding that humanists don't promote their own beliefs in the same manner is utterly undemocratic.

Addendum by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Jan 03, 2010 at 07:06:50 PM EST
Lest you think my comment exaggerates, here's standard fare for comments about all those other belief systems.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
You should email also the LibDems.... by Tonatiuh (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 03:00:28 AM EST
... and/or their leader, maybe they will quietly speak to him and spank him with a clue-stick....

Good Idea! by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jan 04, 2010 at 03:59:14 AM EST
Sent:

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to tell you that, despite having voted LibDem most of my adult life, I will not be doing so in the upcoming election, since I do not feel I can vote for a man who supports the suppression of free speech at the hands of religious special interest groups, as Mike Hancock (Portsmouth South), has done with his signing of the Early Day Motion (403) seeking the censorship of the British Humanist Association.

Yours sincerely,