Print Story Gude Ale Keeps The Heart Aboon
Drink
By georgeha (Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 10:44:26 AM EST) beer, Titanic, Stephenson, trash TV (all tags)
aka another supper with no haggis.

Plus, The Commandos, The White Album, Snow Crash, good weekend, Titanic, Extreme Desperate Bachelor Makeover, lager, blogspot, nookipad and less.

Poll: Frozen to keep from increasing the deficit!

Again, I missed Robert Burns Supper Day. The haggis I'm not sure about, but a little Scotch is nice. For some odd reason I thought Friday was Burns Supper Day, so I had a wee bit then, but I was off a few days, and then come Monday, I forgot all about it.

For family day on Saturday we took my little econobox to the museum to see the Titanic Exhibit, figuring parking would suck. The Titanic exhibit was good, if somber. You started with a ticket bearing the name of a passenger (maybe crewmember, too) and solemnly walked past pictures of the Titanic, pictures and stories of the crew and passengers, and artifacts from the ocean floor, kept under thick plastic. Halfway through was the only hands on part of the exhibit, a big chunk of ice. You encouraged to see how long you could hold your hand against it. At the end there was a list of survivors and victims, my ticket was a victim (it was a man, no surprise), Mrs. Ha and the girls' tickets were of survivors. We spent some time enjoying the other exhibits, too. No surprise, we ran into someone we knew at the museum.

Sunday was a lot of housework, sewing and shopping, and Extreme Home Makeover. I finished Mrs. Ha's bodice for the upcoming Ren Faire wedding, only six weeks to go. Mrs. Ha watched a bit of Extreme Home Makeover because it was in Buffalo, on Massachusetts Ave, while I headed down into the basement to attend to my lager. She lived on Mass Ave for a semester, or a year, or something like that. In other trashy TV watching, we got sucked into The Bachelor, and we're still DVR'ing Desperate. Ella was so sweet, why did Jake get rid of her?

Anyhow, I racked off my honey lager, siphoning it from one carboy to another. This is supposed to improve the taste (keeping it away from the precipitated dead yeast which may make it taste metallic) and clarity, it's always fun when you can see through home brew. I reckon I can keg it in two or three more weeks. One of the fun parts about home brewing is tasting the warm, dreggy intermediate steps. With ales, I get a glass of yeasty dregs after kegging, with lager I get another glass of yeasty dregs after racking off. It was warm, flat and tasty.

There's a few months of lager season left. I have the makings for a Czech Pilsner, I may be a Marzen too, and save half of it for October, letting it ferment the summer away. I have an eighth keg of stout I kegged in the fall, it

will be ready for Saint Paddy's day, after we get back from the Ren Faire wedding (we're going to miss the Saint Paddy's day parade).

Anyhow, it was a good weekend.

Last summer I garbage picked, err, kept a bunch of books out of the landfill. One of them was Waller's The Commandos, from 1994.It's about the Green Berets, SEALs, Deltas and the USAF Pave Low helicopter teams. Interesting, worth reading once, dated by 9/11. I suppose it would be good background for Stanton's Horse Soldiers.

In other reading news, I finished Joan Didion's The White Album, a short collections of essays written in the late 1960s and early 1970s, often about California. Recommended if you like reading essays about California in the late 60's and early 70's. It's supposed to be the follow on to Slouching Towards Bethlehem, which I thought I read, but maybe I didn't. If I did read it, I never blogged about it, so I guess it didn't happen.

In final reading news I reread Snow Crash. It's been a while since I read it, I was struck this time by how much of a slashdotty asshole Hiro is.

One night I was randomly searching blogs on blogspot, and was struck by how much the internet has changed. Most of the blogs there were scrapbooking, Singaporean, cute families, Mormom or some combination. Not that there's anything wrong with any of that, but my mental model of the internet still assumes geeky programmer/IT sorts.

Thursday morning Mrs. Ha asked if I wanted an iPad, or a Kindle. I had to tell her no, they're expensive, and it's rare that I buy a new book for myself, the last time was in Nashville in December, prior to that I can't recall. When they get to the point you can buy used ebooks at a thrift store, and the maps are good, I may be interested, until then, no.

A busy weekend planned, volunteering at the school, a playdate and an optometrist appointment on Saturday, swimming and a party for my dad on Sunday.

< Loving Your Job Is A Subscriber Only Feature | Coconut replaces the smell of the bar >
Gude Ale Keeps The Heart Aboon | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Buy an iPad. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 10:55:17 AM EST
They're available now, tech specs (PDF warning) here.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Hiro Protagonist is a Slashdotty twat by jump the ladder (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 11:47:31 AM EST
Why do you think Snowcrash is so popular on Slashdot?

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 11:53:41 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Ideas mindfuck by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 11:59:25 AM EST
When it first came out in 1992. The thing is a lot of the ideas now are common place and you don't realise where the original idea came from. That and early William Gibson are amongst the most influential SF novels ever.

You mean Brunner, of course by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 12:04:33 PM EST
Shockwave Rider (1975) has an internet which the protagonists hacks by telephone, and eventually launching a massive worm.

Never read that by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 12:06:42 PM EST
Only Brunner I've read is Stand On Zanzibar which has a fair amount of prescience...

You should by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 12:08:07 PM EST
it's pretty awesome.

You should try by Phage (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 01:08:18 PM EST
Make Room, Make Room by Harry Harrison.
So much better than the crap movie.

Plus by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 11:54:51 AM EST
It is possible to get autolysis from leaving beer on the yeast cake too long.

Mind you, I've never seen it, and I think the dangers are exaggerated....

I've got an Imperial Ginger and a Vienna Ale on tap right now.  They are both good, but the Ginger foams like a mother.  I'm not sure what is up with that.  A typical pint has 3/4 glass of head and takes several pours.  We have adjusted gas and switched it to the other tap with no difference.  I am wondering if there isn't some sort of protein thing that comes from the ginger itself.  Not sure.

We've got so much beer kegged and aging right now that we are only brewing for friends and family.  Gotta get our drink on and get rid of some of it.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
If you need storage space by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 12:00:37 PM EST
nah, shipping on Hoffman-Sankey kegs would be a killer.

Ginger beer by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 12:21:41 PM EST
foams as much as root beer.
is that a lot or a little ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 12:49:15 PM EST
(yeah, I know, is it MUG or Hires whose old ads featured the foam mustache .. But IBC or dominion root beer seem to be foamless..)

Good stuff has a lot. by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 07:32:50 PM EST

Hmm by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 02:05:28 PM EST
Well the last one didn't, but then again it only had a quarter as much ginger in it.

I'm kind of unhappy with the current ginger beer.  We were looking for that "hot" ginger bite and what we ended up with was simply a stronger ginger sweetness.  I think a radical amount of ginger might be needed.

Gedvondur

"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan
(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 06:07:07 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

Nah, a small wargame, for me by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Jan 29, 2010 at 06:23:16 PM EST
has an 11x17 map. I haven't heard yet if the iPad supports VASSAL, but I doubt it.

<insert obligatory Beowulf cluster comment> by lm (2.00 / 0) #18 Sat Jan 30, 2010 at 12:25:29 PM EST
Make that board as large as you please.

Cicero, The Republic
A man who can sew by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Jan 30, 2010 at 03:39:20 AM EST
is crazy sexy. I hope your wife appreciates that quality.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

my main complaint by garlic (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Feb 01, 2010 at 08:55:04 AM EST
for ereaders is the lack of rental option. Why do I want to pay 10-15 dollars for something that I'm going to read once, and I can't give a way or sell when I'm done.

Aye, a vibrant seconday market for e-reader by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Feb 01, 2010 at 10:01:09 AM EST
texts would alleviate my biggest concern.

Gude Ale Keeps The Heart Aboon | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback