Print Story Launch this!
By dev trash (Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 09:14:20 PM EST) (all tags)
Ramblings.

A flurry of activity on Facebook has a mini reunion sorta being planned.  So far I'm the only guy. Woooooo.  Well it's not that exciting.  I've not seen any of the 7 or 8 people on the mailing list since 1993, so it would be nice to catch up.  But as I wrote in my journal at lunch.  Meh.  Life has moved on.  I guess if we did have a reunion and I did go I'd have to be in the right mood and mindset to want send time rehashing all the stuff from the 1991-1993 time in our lives.  A lot of that would be centered around the parties Thursday through Saturday.  Thinking of it all is kinda surreal because I didn't drink at all until midway thru that period in my life.

And of course there will be a disconnect now because I think all but one or two are married with kids.  In other words we've all become mature adults.  Like I said, if I'm in the right mood it'll be awesome to reminisce.

Someone mentioned if $friend_c was on facebook.  They'd all want hime to be there because well he was the center of the group, ya know?  But well, he doesn't believe in visiting or joining social networking sites at all.  A reunion?  I'm sure he'll be busy.  I see him all the time, so it really doesn't affect me either way.

Someone else then mentioned $friend_t.  That friend passed away a few years ago in a car wreck.  Was sad a bit thinking about the times we had in college and after.  He had started to settle down, had three stepkids and two of his own.

Reading of 'Under the Dome' continues.  It's a long ass book and it is still a bit interesting.

My laptop is pissing me off.  I upgraded to Fedora 12 and it has not been the same since.  So I should just back up /home and reinstall something else.  If I can find the time this weekend maybe I'll do a Linux from Scratch install.  I also want to wipe the mythtv box and actually put myth tv on it.

I've not bought any vinyl yet.  Billy Jam had a remix of the Running in Place vinyl this last week,  I need to chop that mp3 up and put it on the iPod.

The gym continues.  Almost talked myself out of going this morning, but glad I didn't.  It was a good workout.  45 minutes, 16.2 miles.  On the bike.  As I was walking passed the treadmills, the one weightlifter dude asked if I was okay.  He seemed concerned.  I must look like hell after biking for nearly an hour.

Weight is pissing me off.  Stable at 277 two days in a row.  ~300 calories for breakfast, ~115 between breakfast and lunch.  600-800 for lunch, maybe more, I've been taking about a cup/cup and a half of beans for lunch.  And then salmon, one pouch on bread for supper.  Some fruit, a banana before bed.  It's discouraging.  I started a FitDay account to track my food a bit more closely.  I'm pretty sure I'm not eating more calories than I need.  I walk on breaks and I exercise.

Pernell Roberts died.  And so ends my 'hey did you know Pernell Roberts is the only cast member from Bonanza still alive' obscure piece of trivia.  Funny I never watched Trapper John, MD, and CNN said younger viewers would remember him more for that role.

Abe Vigoda is still kickin!

< Oddly productive. | Apple Tablet Rumors >
Launch this! | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Weight and exercise by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 06:17:32 AM EST
It's pretty common that weight stays the same or even increases when someone first starts exercising regularly. Someone getting stronger, is building additional muscle. That muscle has weight.

That said, if you're serious about losing weight, a more rigorous assessment of calorie intake wouldn't hurt. Most people underestimate how many calories they eat.

Were it me, I'd just give it a couple more weeks and if there is no weight loss yet, then look at additional food restriction.

Cicero, The Republic
and also... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 12:42:42 PM EST
...it's a bad idea to both increase exercise and decrease calories at the same time (from a recovery and conformance standpoint: you're going to hit a wall because increase in workload and decrease in diet are both very stressful and it'll be hard to stick to both when you feel hungry and beat up all the time). if you're going to start an exercise program and go on a diet to lose weight, it's probably best to ease into it by first exercising until you're used to the volume of work and then reducing calories.

Food diary by hulver (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 06:53:11 AM EST
I use LiveStrong. I thought I was keeping a pretty good track of stuff I ate, but using the site is great. Only problem with it is that it overestimates calories burnt in exercise. I just tend to ignore that, and keep track of my calorie goal.

I've lost weight since starting on it.

Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Don't weigh yourself every day by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 07:46:49 AM EST
Weigh yourself once a week, same day and time.  Weighing yourself every day is like giving your diet motivation a daily kick in the testicles.  Also really track your calories and nutrition.  Eat more, smaller meals.

Different things work for different people by lm (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 08:12:00 AM EST
Especially when it comes to motivation.

I find that a daily weigh in motivates me to eat better.

But I do agree that there should be consistency with regards to time and place of weighing oneself. For example, one's weight upon rising in the morning across days is a much more meaningful comparison than one's weight before going to bed one day compared to one's weight just before lunch on another day.

Cicero, The Republic
Frequent weighing is bad by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 11:42:30 AM EST
He's kicking himself because his weight stayed the same for a day.  A day is too small a sample to get all fidgety about.  You can be doing everything right and still not have your weight change in a 24-hour period.

not kicking myself by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 07:34:05 PM EST
I've been weighing myself every day since March of last year and it's just a little frustrating is all.

Click
It's only bad if you're ignorant by lm (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:47:37 PM EST
OMFG I GAINED 5 POUNDS YESTERDAY!!!!!

Sure, if you're going to have that sort of reaction, it's not the best idea.

Cicero, The Republic
well by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 06:48:10 AM EST
If I gained 5 pounds in one day I think I would freak out.  Most was 2 pounds and that was after I had gotten dressed and ate some cereal.

Click
that I am doing by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 07:34:59 PM EST
Right after I shower and go to the bathroom, I weigh myself, before eating anything.

Click
Fedora 12 by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 08:31:37 AM EST
Installed that in a VMWare machine on my Mac last weekend. Runs fine, except networking was off by default. Had to drag the /etc/init.d arcana out of the deep recesses of my head since I haven't needed them for awhile.

Later I found that there're all sorts of GUI tools for interacting with init scripts these days.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Fuck Fedora by debacle (4.00 / 2) #6 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:37:36 AM EST
Install FreeBSD.

I would by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 07:31:44 PM EST
But this is a desktop type laptop, not a server install.

I need me some youtube!

Click

Then use Windows by debacle (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:46:32 PM EST
It Just Works.

You should be doing weekly weigh-ins. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:45:44 PM EST
You're gonna drive yourself batshit with this daily gig.

not crazy yet by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 06:48:36 AM EST
and I've been weighing in every day since last March.

Click
social folks by lm (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:49:15 PM EST
In general I see a pretty strong correlation between the folks that were the most extroverted back in the day and use of social networking sites.

But every now and then, I think of this guy or that gal that was really popular and couldn't be paid enough to do the social networking thing.

Cicero, The Republic