Print Story Oddly productive.
Food
By ana (Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 04:30:32 PM EST) holy productivity batman!, recipes (all tags)
Sometimes, I sit looking out the window having Grand Ideas.

Other times, I just look out the window.

Last couple days, I finally tackled a project I've been putting off for far too long. Having good ideas, processing data, hacking code in a language I don't really know very well, fiddling with endpoint cases, stuff like that. It seems to be working on all but one column of the 1k by 1k chip, and it turns out that column is on the official Bad Pixel list. Yay.

Now to extend to the other 4 chips like this in the array. Should be doable, I think.

In other news, we recently tried something culinary. The farmshare folks have given us several bags of wheatberries, which are essentially whole-grain wheat. Reading around, it sounds like you soak them for a while (like beans) and then treat them kind of like steel-cut oats. So we dusted off a recipe for overnight oatmeal (cup each of steel-cut oats, raisins and/or dried cranberries, diced figs; half cup of half and half, 4 cups water) in the slow cooker overnight. I substituted wheatberries for the oats (could mix, 50/50, I'd guess). Also, I measured the weatberries before soaking. Probably should have used half that much water. It's really quite yummy, but with that much food, we'll be eating it for a week. Guess I don't need to make granola this week, after all. Chewy, but very tasty.

My teeth probably need the exercise, I'm thinkin.

It's January. Yesterday it was 55 and raining. Today it's 45 and clear. Wow. An actual January thaw. (for the unit-challenged, that's 13 and 7 C, respectively).

Also, it's half-past 4 and the sky is blue. Sunset is getting later and later. This makes me happy.

May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercies of Christ, rest in peace.

And may light perpetual shine upon them.

< My in utero nephew: An update | Launch this! >
Oddly productive. | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Thank you, by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 04:33:39 PM EST
for the remembrance. It's been a roller-coaster week. And thank you.
wheatberries by aphrael (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 05:49:46 PM EST
J occasionally makes this (without the walnuts), and it always seems to come out well:

1 1/2 cups hard wheat berries
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1/2 cup tart dried cherries, chopped
1 scallion, white and green parts, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot combine the wheat berries and enough water to come 2 inches over the wheat berries.

Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until tender. Drain and let cool.

Toast the walnuts in a medium dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, walnuts, celery, dried cherries, scallions, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice.

Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.

also by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:01:39 PM EST
seriously. by clock (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 10:37:00 PM EST
one of these damned days you and I are going to sit down over a cup of very strong, very black coffee and talk about "stuff."  during that time i will ask this question, "what in the fuck, exactly, do you do?"  and you'll answer it in one sentence.  i'll be satisfied and then we'll get on with other things.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

The answer to that by ad hoc (4.00 / 3) #5 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 12:28:31 AM EST
will start with a professorial chin stroke.
And land up with words like by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 04:14:36 AM EST
He's a "Things that go on top of rockets scientist" I suspect.

if it doesn't... by clock (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 07:51:33 AM EST
i will be profoundly disappointed.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

He's a Scientist by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 08:28:39 AM EST
He doesn't do anything. He Thinks.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

that's barely an answer. by clock (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 08:33:31 AM EST
it's like saying programmers just type.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Hey. by ana (4.00 / 2) #10 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:16:18 AM EST
I do more than type. I also go to meetings!

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

so do we all. by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:39:48 AM EST
but meetings are the opposite of productivity by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:40:12 AM EST

I made that point to the management once. by ana (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:42:51 AM EST
We had more meetings.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Hmm. by ana (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 10:16:48 AM EST
Maybe I should write a hole diary on the subject.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin