Print Story My in utero nephew: An update
By toxicfur (Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 04:16:39 PM EST) (all tags)
Yesterday, I posted about my brother P's son, who is due to be born in June. The doctors detected a large mass in his chest during a routine and follow-up ultrasound, and today, they went to Duke Medical Center for MR imaging and to learn more about what is affecting their unborn child.

Based on what the local doctor told my brother and his wife, I hypothesized that CCAM was affecting their son, and it turned out that I was right. The mass in the baby's chest is very large -- they estimate the baby's weight at 10 oz, and the mass is 5cm. The heart is pushed off to the right side, and the doctor said that it's possible that it will stay there, which could make chest x-rays interesting when he gets older. The close examination of the heart at this stage (19 weeks) showed no detectable abnormalities.

One potential complication is the build-up of fluid around the baby's developing lungs, and if that happens, then they'll inject steroids to shrink the mass, get rid of the fluid, and spur lung development. A will spend the last couple of weeks of her pregnancy at Duke, and will deliver there. Worst case scenario, my brother said, is that she goes first to New Hanover hospital in Wilmington, where she'll be air-lifted to Duke for the delivery. Let's all hope that she'll not have to do that.

My brother P seemed incredibly relieved. The fact that the doctor seemed to know what he was talking about, had treated many patients with this condition, and was optimistic about the outcomes all meant that P sounded confident about the chances. They are by no means out of the woods, but there's every reason to expect that things will be okay.

I'm feeling much better. I think it's time for a nice hot bath and a beer.

< My Time-Travelling Son | Oddly productive. >
My in utero nephew: An update | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Right then. by technician (4.00 / 6) #1 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 07:28:15 PM EST
Let us know if we need to send beer and bbq to all concerned parties.

I'm sure my brother would appreciate both. by toxicfur (4.00 / 3) #2 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 08:04:41 PM EST
Geez. The poor guy.
this is good news! by clock (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 10:23:40 PM EST
as far as stuff that scares the shit outta ya goes.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yes, indeed. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:53:48 AM EST
Still scary, but at least we know what he's dealing with, and that's a relief.
Yes, that is good news by notafurry (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 02:40:58 AM EST
I didn't see your diary from yesterday until now or I would have said something. I was a CCAM baby (in 1977 and undiagnosed at the time.) There was no treatment and I turned out JUST FINE THANKS.

Except my heart and kidneys and liver and large intestine and left lung and pancreas. All of which work perfectly fine but are in the wrong places to greater or lesser degrees. They never did anything about the mass itself and in fact never knew it existed as far as the OB and other infant care docs were concerned. Diagnosed later in life, and the mass was absorbed by my body on its own. It's fun for confusing the hell out of radiology techs. I got one poor trainee girl to panic because she couldn't find my heart. (It's off to the left. You know where kids all point to and say that's where their heart is, and they're wrong? That's where mine actually is. If I hold still you can actually see my heartbeat.)

Uh. Won't help your superstitious nature, but my birthday is June 12. All the cool kids are Geminis, you know. And, uh, weren't you the one insisting your spiritual life should be all contained in a neat little building you visit on Sundays? I am forced to point and laugh at you now. In love, of course.

Thanks! by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:58:23 AM EST
I'm glad everything turned out well for you, and I really appreciate your telling me your story. I'm more and more hopeful that everything will be just fine for my brother's little one. And when did I ever say that my spiritual life is all contained in a building? I don't think I've ever said or thought that. Granted, part of it is in that building, but just a part of it. It's probably accurate to say that it's a rather small part of it. Though surely you already knew that. :)
I seem to recall by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 12:02:35 PM EST
it was a statement made while relating the story of the yoga instructor who wanted you to feel an energetic connection. Could be wrong.

Oh! no, that was just the silliness of the yoga... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 12:10:34 PM EST
instructor. It had nothing whatsoever to do with church or religion -- just that the sort of spirituality the yoga instructor was espousing seemed silly to me. I honestly express more of my spiritual self in my garden or in the woods than I do in church.
they'll inject steroids by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 08:25:40 AM EST
Future MLB player...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

ppppppsssssshhhhh :P by duxup (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jan 28, 2010 at 12:05:29 PM EST
Steroids are so 1990s.   HGH is the way to go.

____