Print Story My baby is not operating at optimal efficiency
By duxup (Mon Jan 25, 2010 at 05:07:15 PM EST) (all tags)

Dang it. Doctors put baby in a corner today, or more accurately some silly Pavlik Harness. With crappy camera phone photo.

So the doctors reported a while back that breach babies can have hip issues. Growing up I had some issues but mostly it just amounted to my feet pointed slight outward and a little more effort on my part when rollerblading and so forth. I never bothered with surgery or anything but a diagnosis, but I also wasn’t born breach and was born before the days of ultrasounds done on newborns.

So the baby got a couple ultrasounds on his hips. The folks in white coats report his hips are not in any way terrible or dislocated. However, one in particular is loose, and the other sort of. Their fix is this harness thing that he should wear “as much as possible” for . . . . five months . . five months. Chripes.

I guess I should be happy that it isn’t some genetic disease that requires some washed up Indiana Jones MD and other substandard actors to fix. Still this is quite bothersome and I worry about the baby’s other developmental milestones that this harness thing might get in the way of like the fact that no way can he roll over, sit up, or crawl.... Dude is pretty much stuck with his legs in the position you see in the photo (yes his feet are in the air).

So far he hasn’t seemed to complain about it, but it has been all of six or so hours…

MD also wasn’t very impressive, dude might not even be available for follow up visits due to his own impending back surgery….

Apparently this method of addressing this issue came from Europe, damn socialized medicine commies! (yes that is a joke I loath our current medical system)
< Grumble grumble. | Events are cowards: They run in packs >
My baby is not operating at optimal efficiency | 14 comments (14 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
run, forrest.. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jan 25, 2010 at 07:30:29 PM EST
well, I was breach, never had any issues like that. Did have hip surgery 2 years ago for torn cartilage, but chalk that up to playing too much ice hockey.

I was breach. by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jan 25, 2010 at 08:24:31 PM EST
amazing what they check and fix these days.

Click
I worry about that by duxup (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 03:25:07 PM EST
Sometimes I wonder if they're fixing stuff that doesn't need to be fixed, or at least doesn't require all the fixing they provide.... / earn income from.

____
I do know someone who they caught this too late on by ambrosen (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 12:43:34 PM EST
She had to spend a few months in a hip cast aged 5, because it was only diagnosed when she was crawling badly.

Seems fine now, but I hope clinical incident reports and whatnot were filed at the time.

I wore special boots as a kid, by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jan 25, 2010 at 10:07:39 PM EST
to fix some damn problem. Didn't seem to effect my disposition.

I'm sure the dude will abide and when he's older, never remember the evil hip-fixing device.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

I could go for just some boots by duxup (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 03:26:12 PM EST
To me a little baby laying on his back kicking away with his legs is out ... kind of what a baby is.   No more kicking for this little guy, at least not much for a while.

____
Parenthood == by johnny (4.00 / 3) #4 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 12:25:38 AM EST
worry forever and watching your children suffer and trying to prevent it.

Also, there are some pleasant aspects, I believe.

Good luck with this hip thing to you and yours. It certainly looks to be an ass-pain apparatus, but if five months is all it is, really, then that's not too bad a bargain.

Hope everybody is bearing up OK.

Hope it all goes to plan. by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 08:26:07 AM EST
Looks like a baby bungee jumping harness though!

(Comment Deleted) by xth (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 08:59:45 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

that, my friend... by clock (4.00 / 3) #7 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 10:08:34 AM EST
is a cute friggin' kid!  doo-dad or not, he's a good lookin' young man.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Thank you sir by duxup (4.00 / 2) #10 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 03:29:48 PM EST
He much appreciated it when I told him.

____
Awww bless by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jan 26, 2010 at 06:27:44 PM EST
Take comfort in the fact that however much seeing him like that bothers you, it bothers him less.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Babies are resilient. . . by BaconAndWaffles (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 09:59:21 AM EST
Man, there are ton of seemingly bizarre conditions that babies can get thet you never hear of until it happens to you.  I hope thins go smoothly for you.

My son had a mild form of congenital torticollis (weaker neck muscles on one side of the neck).  Nobody noticed it until our pediatrician mentioned some slight flattening on one side of his head.  We were able to avoid having to wear the helmet, but we did have to do horrific neck stretching exercises several times a day for months.  It felt like we were torturing the little dude (which we kind of were).  It did fix the problem and he doesn't seem to remember it.

Odds are it is hurting you more than it is hurting him - worrying over you kid (especially the first) is one of the worst feelings in the world, but I would trade it for anything. . .

Thanks by duxup (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jan 27, 2010 at 05:41:53 PM EST
I recall a baby I met once who had an neck issue as well.  The tendons in the neck were very tight on one side.  The parents didn't have anything to do for him, they're just supposed to let them ease up over a few months, but dang if that kid didn't look extra pitfiul  and somehow extra adorable with his head on his shoulder most of the time.

____