Print Story Lucky Guess
By Kellnerin (Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 09:45:31 PM EST) (all tags)
A picture diary.

A LITTLE OVER A WEEK ago, I joined one of the coolest clubs in all Husi:

See the resemblance? Actually, this gal is much cooler than I am. See her rockin' the pilcrow on her right thigh?

On the same day, coincidentally, I got a different package, for a slim booklet I'd ordered. It was carefully packed in an express letter envelope, wrapped in neatly scored and folded corrugated cardboard. Underneath all the layers, was this:

It's a very slight booklet for $35, I'll admit, but that cardboard backing, whoa. It's a little larger than US letter size, and it's about the highest quality cardboard I've ever seen in my life. (I assure you I've seen some top-notch cardboard in my day.) That, my friends, is some thirty-dollar cardboard.

LAST WEEK, WE HAD our benefits fair at work -- the various vendors had tables set up around the cafeteria with swag or other gimmicks, like the fitness people who would do a body fat test for you on the spot.

The 401(k) table had a "guess how much money is in the jar" game -- winner gets the jar. When I got there, there were two developers eyeing the jar just as much, if not more so, than the money it contained.

It looked like this:

and if you asked them to open the lid, it looked like this:

As it turned out, I guessed it exactly. When people heard, they wanted to know two things:

1. How I figured it out, and
  2. When I was going to buy them lunch.
I had some method, but it was the madness that probably made the difference. I figured there was about 10 bills in a layer, and 20-ish layers in the jar. But some of the bills were flatter than the ones you could see at the top, so there were probably more than that. I picked a number at semi-random -- 21 -- and added it to 200. Actually I walked away thinking that I'd probably guessed too high, but didn't think too much of it.

The answer to the second question is left as an exercise for the reader.

While I was explaining my reasoning to Fritz, Harry, the new guy who sits near me, wandered over. Harry had guessed incredibly close, through a very similar methodology. The only difference was that he had picked 15 x 15 = 225, and not added any salt to the result. We both agreed that the tricky part was that a crumpled dollar bill was not a good unit of volume.

Fritz had guessed far too low which, by his own admission, is something he does far too often when estimating the amount of work something is going to take. That prompted Peter in the next cube to mention that a friend of his from school was the third best estimator in Rhode Island. Apparently there are competitions for such things, in which you have to make all manner of estimates and they find out who's best.

"Wow. They really measure this kind of thing?"

"Nah, I think the judges just look at the contestants and point: 'You look like you're the best, you look about second best, and I think ... you're ... third.'"

< Arizona | "Moon" and other stuff >
Lucky Guess | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden)
Forget lunch. by toxicfur (4.00 / 9) #1 Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 09:59:21 PM EST
With $221 in singles, when are we going to schedule the first ever Boston HuSi strip club night?

Awesome win. Also, awesome voodoo doll. Mine sits in the corner of my desk, looking out over the office and bringing us all good energy. It totally works.

make it rain! by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 09:51:56 AM EST

this comment, by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 09:34:31 PM EST
I think, deserves to be voted to some Husi Hall of Fame.

One suggestion I got for what to do with the bills was to build a gangsta bankroll ... but now you're reminding me of the "Where's George"-inspired WFC story, and making me wonder if I should do something like number them sequentially and register them with the site. The latter may be more effort than I want to invest, and not nearly as much fun as (although it does not preclude) your suggestion.

"Plans aren't check lists, they are loose frameworks for what's going to go wrong." -- technician

Heh. by ana (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 09:50:07 PM EST
I can see the Where's George blurb now. "I found this george in my underwear in a strip club".

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

as a compromise .... by Kellnerin (2.00 / 0) #15 Sun Jan 24, 2010 at 06:28:56 PM EST
I spent far too much of my Saturday doing this:

while Where's George-ing one out of every five bills.

My current prosaic plan is to use the bills to pay for parking at the train station (it's one of those "stuff dollar bills into the slot" deals -- $4 a day), but some of them might end up in more exotic places ...

They should... by ana (2.00 / 0) #16 Sun Jan 24, 2010 at 06:33:56 PM EST
really accept Charlie cards for parking at MBTA stations.

Dollar bills just wanna be free in some stripper's pockets unmentionables.

[Would that be free as in beer? Or free as in speech?]

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Estimation by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jan 18, 2010 at 11:59:11 PM EST
I still remember an estimation quiz in Grade 5 as the only exam I have ever got zero marks on. The fact gnawed at me for some time, before transforming into some form of perverse pride.

Iambic Web Certified

I can picture it now by Kellnerin (4.00 / 2) #8 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 09:36:17 PM EST
Scrymarch, like some Humbug of estimation, always calling out "Seventeen!" no matter what the question may be ...

I'm glad she got there in one piece. by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 02:35:40 AM EST
Thanks.

I can't tell where you put the pins.

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

where by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 09:54:20 PM EST
do you put the pins for:
  • Compelling people to tell me the things I need to know (whether they actually know them now or not)?
  • Making people agree with me or do what I want more generally? (I'm thinking more like rock-star charisma rather than something more sinister.)
  • Getting more done than there are hours in the day to do?
In all seriousness, though, she's awesome. Sorry it took me so long to post the diary -- clearly I need to spend more quality time with her and soak up her focusing energy. But obviously she's been good luck already ...

I'm consulting the books, by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Jan 22, 2010 at 07:34:15 PM EST
to see what's most appropriate.

The general positions are:
Love - use a pin where the heart is
Healing - use pin where healing is desired
Money - use pin on hand

I've got a pattern for the Talisman for Eloquence - which gives one a honey tongue. It says I need to make it on a Wednesday. I could make one next week and send it to you. All you'd have to do is put it on the doll as a necklace.

I haven't found anything for adding more time in your day, or for helping you get more done. Which seems strange, because hasn't that always been a problem?

A purpose gives you a reason to wake up every morning.
So a purpose is like a box of powdered donut holes?
Exactly
My Name is Earl

one would think ... by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #14 Sun Jan 24, 2010 at 06:22:55 PM EST
that we'd have licked that problem by now, seriously.

You know, even without a Talisman for Eloquence I actually had a pretty good week. I do like honey, though. All this is to say that it would be lovely if you were to make one, but I don't want to put any pressure on you to do so. It's awesome of you just to offer.

nice cardboard by clock (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 08:09:58 AM EST
I always assume in those situations that it's less about what you just bought and more about what might come later.  An investment of sorts.

I have lots of cow-irkers from LA and especially the N.O. area.  One of them gave me a protection doll for my office.  The bummer is that our doorways are arranged such that I can't hang it where it needs to go.  Having just finished American Gods this vexes me more now than it did last week.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

that reminds me by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 10:09:55 PM EST
that I have a copy of American Gods that needs some love.

Oh, and I definitely got the warm fuzzies from the cardboard. So to speak. It's a sign that someone really cares.

(Comment Deleted) by yicky yacky (4.00 / 2) #6 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 10:51:41 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by yicky yacky

excellent by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 10:20:06 PM EST
That link competely justifies the telling of that story.

Lucky Guess | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden)