Print Story The Nook: One Month Review
Books
By wiredog (Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 02:32:03 PM EST) (all tags)
A few thoughts after living with it for a month.

The LCD screen is a good idea, but the more commonly used functions should be hardware buttons. Maybe the joystick that the Kindle uses? Perhaps making the page turn buttons a bit more configurable? The last, and adding a 'select' button, would allow the bypassing of much of the LCD's problems.

The cover flow idea just doesn't work on that small a screen. Turning pages is faster with hardware buttons than with the screen.

Newspaper/magazine reading needs major work, partly as a result of the LCD screen issues, but also a matter of the way they are formatted. The localized sections of the Washington Post don't get distributed. Nor does the Magazine. And no comics! That's a real deal killer. The Nook (and Kindle, etc.) have great potential as newspaper readers. But they are, for now, not usable in that role. Think of the printing and distribution money that could be saved if every Dead Tree Edition reader was replaced with a Nook/Kindle reader.

As a book reader it's pretty good. I carry mine almost everywhere with me, and have now read several books on it. Very readable, even in low light, and goes days without a recharge (if you don't turn on the cell phone or wifi). Reading The Hunt For Red October now. Main problems with books on the Nook: Footnotes and endnotes aren't navigable. They display, but you can't navigate between them. Forget about indexes. Pictures need to be specially formatted, and most publishers seem not to have bothered. All the maps in LoTR were about an inch on a side. The family trees in the appendices, oddly, showed up well, as did the tables displaying the Elvish and Dwarvish character sets.

I'd like to find a good epub editor so that I could stitch together several short stories from Gutenberg into one book. Maybe I'll just take a close look at the spec and work from there.
< There's no home for you here. | Now I wanna be your dog (and other brick a brack) >
The Nook: One Month Review | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
PDF is an open format by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 03:06:59 PM EST
not fun to edit outside of Acrobat though.

One inch maps would really harsh my trip to Middle Earth.

PDF is a terrible format by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 03:10:49 PM EST
For low-res devices.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

can't process rss feeds ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 03:26:13 PM EST

Nope. No mail reader or web browser. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 03:42:55 PM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I got a sony reader for xmas by ShadowNode (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 03:27:28 PM EST
I'm quite liking it. The battery lasts weeks, and with Calibre it supports anything I've thrown at it.

I don't think I'd really want to read newspapers on it. Articles are short enough that reading them on a PC isn't much trouble, and the eink screen doesn't lend itself well to the skimming and picking and choosing that newspapers tend to. It's better for long form reading than short.

I think the epub spec is fairly simple. You might want to look at what Calibre's scripts can do. I've been meaning to pack together some of CBB's stories that I haven't read yet.

reading them on a PC isn't much trouble by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 03:44:49 PM EST
It's a pita if you're traveling. You need to find wifi, plug in the power cable, download the entire website in case you lose the wifi connection...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Or have a smartphone by ShadowNode (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 11:24:47 AM EST
I find my Pre to be fine for short form reading like newspaper articles.

Your smartphone has a 6" screen? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 11:48:38 AM EST
Or do you have special glasses that allow you to read a full page of text at a time? Or are you hitting "next" after every paragraph? Gonna be tough to read a book on that.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Oh sweet jebus no by ShadowNode (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 12:09:52 PM EST
I'd claw my own eyes out rather than read a book on my phone. A 300-1000 word news article is ok, though.

which one? by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 04:46:27 PM EST
i'm considering the pocket reader.  i like the size.

We got my mum the Sony pocket edition by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 08:50:56 PM EST
She loves it. It hasn't got the fancy touch screen but it does the ebook thing well. Seems to last a week between charges. Project Guttenburg is your friend with this device especially as the price and range of ebooks in UK isn't great.

The pocket reader by ShadowNode (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 11:27:18 AM EST
I quite like it.

Let me ask these two questions: by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jan 19, 2010 at 04:49:59 PM EST
1. Number of times you've wanted to throw it with great force and furious vengeance against the nearest hard object? (Or, you know, really regretted buying it.)

2. Number of times you've wanted to make sweet, sweet love to it? (Or, thought you made an pretty good decision.)

Zero and Zero by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 08:55:06 AM EST
It's not that annoying, not that great. It's decent.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I can answer for clock by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Jan 20, 2010 at 10:17:42 AM EST
1)  zero

2)  it's not his iPhone, so no sweet sweet love, but he has said on many occasions how much he likes it.

The Nook: One Month Review | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback