Print Story The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Logic & Maths
By gzt (Wed Jan 13, 2010 at 12:09:53 PM EST) gzt, dune, plans (all tags)
I didn't get the washing up done last night. My wife came home earlier than I thought last night, so I didn't get the washing up done. Oh well. The chairs are all assembled and finished and sanded smooth, I got some laundry done, and I at least washed the stuff I made my dinner with.

I have a catapult. No, I don't. I wish I did.

Lent is early this year.

The Dunning-Kruger effect: stupid people have inflated perceptions of their abilities and lack the faculties necessary to correct their delusions. Reminds me of a previous diary.

I missed my stop on the train last night because I was reading Dune. Fortunately, I'm only two stops from the end of the line, so that's like half a mile, and Teh Wife texted me instructing me to get groceries, which are found halfway between the station and my house. I like Teh Wife. I got some groceries.

Dinner was eggs and bacon with broccoli on the side. I like broccoli. I drank some milk, too.

I'm going to church this evening. I'm debating whether to go to the gym afterwards. The trade-off is time at home with Teh Wife. I like Teh Wife.

My parents are visiting this weekend. Gotta get the place organized. Okay, that's another vote for time at home.

I'm going to arrange to meet my academic advisor. In fact, I'll do it after typing this sentence. And I just did it. Well, sent him a note. I'm totally going to take this stats course. I don't, technically, have the prerequisites, but I've done a lot of probability and measure theory academically and have a bit of hands-on stats experience, so I should be able to manage. At least, that's what the guy said last year when we discussed plans.

What should I read after Dune?

< That's just a flatly racist statement. | Bleh. >
The Dunning-Kruger Effect | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dune Messiah by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Jan 13, 2010 at 12:13:59 PM EST
lots more talking than action, but I like it.

Well, I didn't necessarily mean in that series... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Jan 13, 2010 at 12:16:36 PM EST
...but in general. But, if we have it, I might.

Anathem? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Jan 13, 2010 at 12:17:53 PM EST

read it when it came out by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Jan 13, 2010 at 12:30:47 PM EST
I mean to have my wife read it, she'll like it more than I did (I've read enough philosophy to find it mildly annoying at points rather than insightful, it became like one of those sci-fi novels that dwells just slightly too much on the intentionally inaccurate science that we don't really care about - but if you haven't run into Philosophy before, it might be an interesting jumping-off point). She's either in the middle of or just finished The Diamond Age.

(Comment Deleted) by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Jan 13, 2010 at 01:53:13 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by ad hoc

Dune by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Jan 13, 2010 at 01:54:21 PM EST
I'm trying not to be amused by that. nt by gzt (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Jan 13, 2010 at 02:00:41 PM EST

Atlas Shrugged? by dmg (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Jan 14, 2010 at 06:49:53 PM EST
I don't see why I should suffer alone...
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
ugh by gzt (4.00 / 1) #9 Thu Jan 14, 2010 at 07:05:02 PM EST
that just reminds me of the dunning-kruger effect...

peshawar lancers = by nathan (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jan 14, 2010 at 10:01:20 PM EST