Print Story September?
By Phil the Canuck (Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 09:12:42 AM EST) (all tags)
Really?

Hey, The Boss' birthday is this Friday.  How do I know this?  He added a recurring event to our department calendar.

The Boss and I have been having a back-and-forth over a damn SCSI cable for the last three months.  He keeps telling me to send him a part number, I do, then he says to order it.  I reply that I don't have ordering autority, he's the only one in the department that does, and I don't hear anything for a few weeks.  Then it all starts over.

I was off for the last week helping The Wife recover from some surgery.  It was interesting comparing this system to Canada.  The only difference I saw in care was the number of nurses and nursing assistants/nurse practitioners.  They were everywhere.  Did it make a difference?  No.  Union says that $job doesn't do this or that, $other_job does.  Overall nursing responsiveness was definitely on the low end of what I've ever experienced.  Cull the ranks and save some money.

While I was off, a piece of the absolute deadest of dead weights was removed from my employer.  He's survived round after round of cuts in previous years despite underperforming for his oversized check.  I'm in shock over the loss.  It's shaking my faith in management's ability to always make the wrong decision.

The kids go back to school today, which means they weren't subjected to President Osama's socialist/fascist bleeding-heart lieberal propaganda yesterday.  I mean, really.  Healthcare for all?  That's what Hitler did.

Other than that, well, nothing has changed.  That's why there's been no diary activity.
< Kill or cure. | So that reminded me >
September? | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Hitler, Bismark started it by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 09:15:49 AM EST
can you think of any one more candy assed and liberal than Bismark?

It's true by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 12:29:38 PM EST
Bismarck and the bleeding-heart Prussians

make the wrong decision by duxup (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 09:30:38 AM EST
They probably fired him because they thought he was over qualified and feared he might ask for a raise they couldn't refuse. By the way they probably budgeted for that raise anyway in case he asked first and have rewarded them self with the funds as a bonus for cutting costs.  His exit interview of idiocy and gibberish will be used as gospel for all time.

Hey what is the part number for the scsi cable?

____
No, no, no by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #8 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 12:24:18 PM EST
He was being paid for a job he wasn't doing anymore.  See, about ten years ago they made him a director.  Two months in he decided it wasn't for him and went back to the rank and file, but his raise was never rolled back.  He was making 2-2.5x what most others in his poition were making.

have faith by gzt (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 03:52:03 PM EST
they probably didn't do it on purpose. they may have just looked at the top x% of salaries and randomly laid off a bunch.

SCSI cable by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 10:34:55 AM EST
You still use SCSI? Ouch.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I still run win98 on my home pc. by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 10:48:55 AM EST
Said pc hasn't been powered on, or even hooked up, in almost a decade.

In that case you're not really running Win98 by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 11:12:34 AM EST
Maybe take a look at damn small linux or similar? That old box might make a nice NAS.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Eh. I don't need a home pc. by greyshade (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 11:52:56 AM EST
Much less a NAS at home.  I have a company laptop I bring home when on-call.  Other than that, I don't need to be in front of a monitor after I get off work.

Er, yes by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 12:22:48 PM EST
Non-prof, we have to pick our budgetary wars.  I just got VMWare this year.

Yep. by prestidigitizer (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 09:59:10 PM EST
The Boss' birthday is this Friday....He added a recurring event to our department calendar.

Classy!

I don't have ordering autority, he's the only one in the department that does

When I have a similar situation, I just shove a P.O. at the boss to sign, then place the order on her behalf. I could hold out to try and make a point, but the she's far too dense to ever see it.

I'd have to run outside to find out whether I was in the right building - around here I've never seen dead weight leave other than through attrition. Now competent, thinking individuals - they don't last long. Hmm, not sure what that says about me though...

P.O. by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 06:56:48 AM EST

We have an automated PO system.  I can't even generate a PO without approval.

that's *nothing* by webwench (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 02:18:09 PM EST
I have to submit a formal request for a PO to a guy who maintains the agenda for a weekly review committee. That committee is just the first review committee; depending on the size of the PO I'm requesting, it may go through two or three additional committee reviews at the rate of one review a week. I have no visibility to the review committe(s) themselves, and no way to monitor progress. If I'm very lucky, I submit a request for a PO, and three weeks later, I get an automatically-generated email telling me I now have a PO. It's like a magic black PO box, only no one knows where it is, and the magic isn't reliable enough to predict what comes out the other end, or when.

My job is AWESOME.

Getting more attention than you since 1998 .

HA! Child's play by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 05:39:43 PM EST
Our purchasing director's office is full of crap that vendors have given her to curry favor.  It took two weeks of fighting to get anything but the worst cell phone Verizon sells, even though our plan covers decent ones at no additional cost (the rumor is that she's taking gifts from Verizon to save them money, and oddly enough her phone is a smartphone).  We had to go to our leadership team to force her to deal with our favorite parts vendor, who she blacklisted (openly, I might add) for "not giving her any special considerations like the other ones do".

* Sniff * by prestidigitizer (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 06:32:34 PM EST
I weep for you!

0xDEADBEEF? by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 01:05:42 AM EST
Wait? Do you work in my group?

Today they officially dropped the heaviest weight in my group. We've got plenty of seat warmers around still, but noone that actually nets extra work for the rest of the group.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei

No, can't be by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 06:58:02 AM EST
The dead weight didn't work with me.  I only had sparse interactions with him which was nice because, in addition to being useless, he was an arrogant prick.

September? | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback