Print Story Kill or cure.
By BadDoggie (Tue Sep 08, 2009 at 07:11:18 PM EST) babbies, whisky, single malt, Bruichladdich, ouch (all tags)
MildlyNaughtyPuppy hasn't yet broken into PapaDog's stash, but a private bottling Bruichladdich (from the company Vom Faß) soothed the savage beast. It really was "kill or cure".

I may have heard the phrase earlier but I associate "kill or cure" with Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe series of historical fiction which provide a stunningly accurate account of general military life, battles and mindset during the Napoleonic wars.

In this case, however, while the cure was for MildlyNaughtyPuppy's endless screaming, the "kill" would've been mum eviscerating Papa for trying to turn our as-of-today-5-week-old (hell)spawn into a drunk. A single malt appreciating drunk, to be sure, but a whisky-besotted drunk nonetheless.

Fully fed, handed off to the Burpinator for a successful session, de-poopinated, cleaned and relaxed, she remained inconsolable. Sitting, walking, laying prone (front and back), stretched, pillowed, rocked, vibe-chaired and more; Papa's tapping and rapping bringing out the Farticus admission but failing to soothe the savage beast, she then managed to pee through the diaper onto papa's scrubs (magical clothing, indeed).

Mama was busy and Papa was at his wit's end. The bed didn't do it. The singing didn't do it. The Magic Icelandic Song didn't do it. The Peter Gabriel Secret World Live tour didn't do it. Binkification was repeatedly rejected. Even swaddling would not be tolerated, whether in Favourite Uncle C's Soft & Fuzzy Wrap or in the Manky Blankie. Nada.

MNP has been showing the signs; not just the apparent whiteness just under the gums but things like excessive salivation and methods of suckling. Still, every millimeter of the refrigerated Super Ultimate Teething Ring was rejected with screams and wails last night.

Kill or cure.

I grabbed the fullest bottle of whiskey and as I dipped my finger in, realised that Caol Ila is way too peated for my purposes. I like peating. The more the merrier. Hell, I even have a bottle of Oban which is pretty heavily peated and that's a "breakfast whisky".

Bruichladdich is famous for being an unpeated Islay (though I have a bottle of their peated edition). I'd bought a bottle of the aforementioned private casking from vom Faß and grabbed it, saying nothing to RIG, not consulting first.

Kill or cure.

I remember my mother telling me that while she didn't like the idea of mixing children and alcohol, a bottle of (what turned out to be the truly awful blended "Black & White" brand) scotch was her saviour when I was teething. Ditto my siblings. But our kid's only five weeks old as of... about two minutes before I'd reached this last straw.

If I was right, she'd be relieved. If I was wrong, mum would smell the whisky and make me bleed in a way I most certainly wouldn't enjoy. Possibly worse. But MNP wouldn't stop screaming no matter what. More importantly, she'd try sucking anything -- my shirt, finger, knuckle, arm, neck, her fist, her collar -- anything... before letting loose with another gut-wrenching scream.

Kill or cure.

I opened the stopper of the fancy bottle, dipped my finger in, tapped off the excess, and rubbed my daughter's gums.

Kill or cure.

Within three seconds she stopped screaming.

We are not imagining this shit. In her first week she was propping up her head on her own. Inside two weeks she was able to turn herself. At three weeks she was actively and effectively attempting to affect her surroundings. At four weeks she was not only able to support her own weight (with balance help from the 'rents) but also actively sought every chance to do so. Even when she's dead tired we no longer have to support her still-cartoonishly-oversized noggin.

Our five-week-old daughter is teething and she likes single malts. This shit is fucking AWESOME!!!

< September | September? >
Kill or cure. | 45 comments (45 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
We went through lots of baby ibuprofen/acetominoph by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Sep 08, 2009 at 08:53:46 PM EST
en, even heading to the supermarket at 11:00 pm when we ran out.

Germany. by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 03:51:19 AM EST
Supermarkets close at 8pm.

If you have any sort of emergency after that you're screwed.

Also by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 06:06:25 AM EST
There's no ibu/paracetamol (APAP)/aspirin available in supermarkets, only pharmacies/apothecaries. No vitamins, either. Come to think of it, there's little in the way of personal hygiene articles beyond shampoo and shaving cream available anywhere but in a pharmacy.

(Comment Deleted) by xth (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 06:29:40 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by xth

We had m pharmacy emergency by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 08:00:04 AM EST
a few weeks ago, checked the website for the late-opening one and were delighted to discover that it was the one across the street.

Except they hadn't bothered staying open.

In our 'city' of 1.3 million people by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 05:25:06 PM EST
There are TWO "emergency pharmacies" open at any time outside of normal hours. Which two depends on which day -- there's a rotation schedule among them all which is normally scribbled in a sign in the window. The pharmacy's name and possibly its address. And as RIG wrote, one of those two a few weeks ago was a place right across the street which didn't actually bother to stay open, so I had to hoof it via S-Bahn and walking to the other one open that night.

They get to charge you extra for buying shit from them in the off-hours, too.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

See comment subject below (#36) by brokkr (2.00 / 0) #37 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 09:42:25 AM EST
We have four pharmacies on Notdienst rotation for just 300k people. This, coupled with your inability to find Jaffa cakes in local shops, make me begin to regard Bavaria as somewhat backwards.
Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn, at aldrei deyr: dómr um dau∂an hvern.

Plus/Netto now has fake Jafaffa Cakes by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #38 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 10:28:12 AM EST
They have them in an "apple" version as well, but I'm told those are "minging". Regensburg (with 10% of our population) has two Notdienst Apotheken just in the city centre. I'm pretty sure there's a pharmacy to be found out in Friesing, one in Dachau, and even another in FFB, but how long do you want to sit in trains and buses to pick up some fucking aspirin on a Sunday afternoon?

Being non-British by brokkr (2.00 / 0) #39 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 10:51:09 AM EST
I find the apple version ok. However, stay the fuck away from the Kirsch. I love cherries, but those cakes are atrocious.
Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn, at aldrei deyr: dómr um dau∂an hvern.

I must be in the wrong Germany by brokkr (2.00 / 0) #36 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 09:35:13 AM EST
Quite a few shops here (Edeka and Rewe at least) are open 7-22 Mon-Sat.
Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjalfr it sama,
ek veit einn, at aldrei deyr: dómr um dau∂an hvern.

Bavaria. by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #40 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 10:59:17 AM EST
7-20 is normal.

There was a Long Night of Shopping till midnight last Friday and the city was mobbed.

WIPO: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 01:10:49 AM EST
Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum - It's got anaesthesia built-in!

Please to be sending a bottle by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #44 Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 07:45:04 PM EST
You have my address. If not the physical, certainly teh gee-males.

Back in the day by creo (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 01:11:32 AM EST
we used a thing called "gripe water". With CU1, who was a bit whiny, it was a savior of sanity. In between CU1 and CU2, they brought out the "new and improved" version.  When CU2 was teething we used the remainder of CU1s stash, and then bought the new wonder version.

New and improved my ass. It may as well have been ordinary water - it had no effect on him at all. So I did some research, and the improvement was removal of the very small amount of alcohol that was in the product. Thank you nanny state fuckers for ensuring I no longer had my primary weapon against the teething monster.

Fortunately it was toward the end of his initial teething, and in general he was pretty good, so it wasn't too bad. I ended up adding the slightest smidge of Vodka to the new stuff - ensuring that percentage was about the same and it worked a treat.

Further investigation showed that the reason they removed the alcohol completely was because some clueless fuckwit mouthbreathers were feeding their kids that much of the suff they were getting intoxicated. So the nanny state had to step in and go lowest common denominator - same old, same old really.

My solution would have been neck shoot the mouthbreathers and adopt their kids out to people who actually care, but that might have been seen as a bit too, well, extreme.

Cheers
Creo

"I shall do what I believe to be right and honourable" - Guderian

We imported some Woodward's Gripe Water by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 02:51:01 AM EST
Thanks for the info; PapaDog knows how to fix this. However GW is contraindicated in the first month by its own label, and without the ethanol, I really don't see the point, especially when I now have an excuse to smell like whisky at 5 o'clock in the ae-em.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

You need an excuse? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 07:38:29 AM EST
You're slacking, my friend.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I'm married, my friend. by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #29 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 05:29:41 PM EST
I do expensive whisky, she does expensive red wine. Nevertheless I'd be in the same amount of trouble whether I smelled like a 1999 Beni di Batasiolo Barolo or a 1963 Strathisla if I smelled that way that early in the day.

Actually, I'd be in a lot more trouble for the wine if she hadn't been able to partake in a glass of it herself.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Giving alcohol to an under 5 by codemonkey uk (2.67 / 3) #4 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 02:49:21 AM EST
Is illegal, and is child abuse.  There are many other choices when it comes to soothing a teething infant, they work, please investigate them.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Not you, too. by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 02:58:21 AM EST
This is not "giving alcohol", it is "using ethanol as topical anæsthetic", something my parents did, and their parents did, and their parents did. We're not trying to create the next ChavPuppy here.

If, despite all mathematical proof to the contrary, you really think the half a drop on my fingertip which soothes her gums is somehow abuse, I'll just find some cult that pours booze into babbies and counter with a religious claim. Judaism, perhaps (going to a seder when you're under 13 is wicked cool -- you get four cup of wine).

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

Not my opinion by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 02:59:55 AM EST
The law.  Backed up by science.  Use a safe, legal, teething  powder, or gel, they work too.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Pot's illegal too, though not as bad as cigarettes by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 03:29:12 AM EST
And even-more-illegal heroin is a lot less damaging than either one of them. What's your point?

We're not interested in UK law; we don't live in the UK. We're also not interested in nanny state laws -- we're both big fans of personal responsibility. If you think it's fine to live under an Orwellian system where fucking nightclub bouncers have the ability to issue ASBOs, that's your choice.

fine by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 04:06:48 AM EST
poison your infant for the sake a 5 minutes peace, when there are harmless alternatives that will give just as much comfort without the risk of brain damage, tradition makes it okay

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
what are these harmless alternatives? by bobdole (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 04:32:04 AM EST
No pharmaceuticals come without side effects (both in short and long term). This leaves legality as the remaining point of "concern". That said, cocaine-derivates was (and is still) used as teething drops well into the 1900s. Without offering evidence, I can't say we've seen a sharp decline in the incidence of brain damage in neonatals...

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Acceptable risk by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 05:52:37 AM EST
Define "acceptable risk" when concerning your own children.  It's hard.

At the least invasive end of the spectrum, a substance free soother can be effective.  A cooled soft chew toy, or a clean finger can be soothing to a teething infant.

If rubbing alone isn't working, the following products are all beneficial: Ashton Parsons Infant Teething Powders, calgel, or bonjela.  All of which are free from products that have been shown to harm brain or organ development.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

Because we haven't tried chewies and fingers? by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 06:13:35 AM EST
FAIL. They don't work. She repeatedly tries our fingers and her entire hand. I have hickies from her attempts to self-soothe on my neck and arm. As for your array of products, which part of We Live in Germany didn't register and why do you not only ignore our Norwegian friend's mention of much more dangerous substances as having shown little consequence, you continue to insist that our use of a barely nominal amount of a fairly benign substance is somehow an indication that we're abusing our child, with no citation or proof beyond your opinion?

You do realise that you're only alive because your great-great-grandparents drank beer and wine as babies and not that cholera-laden filth called water which people have only recently been able to safely enjoy.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

It's easy to be angry with me by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 06:21:25 AM EST
But the fact of the matter is that (in the UK at least) giving any amount of alcohol to an infant is legally considered to be a form of child abuse.

I lived in Austria, which is very similar to Germany in this regard, and my middle child was born there.  I don't remember the local product names, but equivalents to the ones I listed were available there, and if you want I'd be happy to post some powders out to you from the UK.

I didn't mean to imply you were some kind of horrible parent, and I'm sorry if you took offense, but alcohol is not safe to give to infants, and I'd really like it if you took that to heart and found an alternative.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

We disagree. by BadDoggie (4.00 / 3) #22 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 06:39:26 AM EST
I'm not doing shots with my kid. She ingests more alcohol in some of the tinctures she receives (along with the eye drops, ointment, Vitamin D drops, etc.). RIG and I know all too well about the physiological concerns even if it is too late to cause FAS in the Puppy. Your concerns are noted and in some way even appreciated but I think that you're going way overboard with this "think of the children" shtick.

Again, it was alcoholic beverages that allowed your ancestors to survive long enough to produce you and when you get right down to brass tacks, were it not for alcohol there probably wouldn't even be a MildlyNaughtyPuppy over whom to show so much concern.

Bonjela/Calgel by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 09:09:42 AM EST
Not to be used on infants under 2 months/3 months respectively. Both have possible side effects. Calgel contains Lidocaine, which has a long list of (admittedly infrequent, and normally when used as an anaesthetic in larger doses) side effects

MNP is about a month old by my calculations

With both the alcohol and all the medicines all you're really doing is a little "off-label" prescribing. All medicines/ treatments are technically illegal for small infants without a doctors prescription. With all medicines, including alcohol, very limited use and common sense is recommended.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Oh FFS! by BadDoggie (4.00 / 2) #30 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 05:35:56 PM EST
YOU are now the fucking voice of reason here? What's next, Hulver becoming a vegetarian? MNS and ti_NH3 singing fucking Kumbayah over a campfire while roasting some tasty soy NotDogs and trading hummus recipes?

Goddammit by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #32 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 09:47:29 PM EST
I was in the middle of a big drink when I read that.

Ironically, I love hummus AND fire. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #33 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 10:38:56 PM EST
Also, I can't believe he conflated "a law" with "the law". That was truly an American-grade error.

I am the fucking voice of reason by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #35 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 05:34:32 AM EST
 ..or hadn't you noticed?

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
To continue this trend by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #34 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 01:55:28 AM EST
Bonjela ingredients:
"The active ingredients are lignocaine hydrochloride 0.33% w/w and cetalkonium
chloride 0.01 % w/w. The other ingredients are ethanol 96% (33.45% w/w), glycerol,
hypromellose 4500, sodium cydamate, banana flavour and water"

So, it's roughly a third of alcohol. All in all stronger than a lot of the stuff you can by in a bar. Lignocaine hydrochloride (more commonly known as lidocaine/xylocaine) is a local anaesthetic, which in systemic exposure can lead to both cns and cardiovascular effects including respitory depression, increased and decreased heart rate (including cardiac arrest).

I haven't checked out the other products you recommend, but it would surprise me if they do not contain a combination of local anaesthetic (usually lidocaine), some antiseptic (cetalkonium chloride in this instance) and alcohol. Alcohol is still a really common additive in medicine, and there is usually not anything fancy done to it. It's plain pure alcohol.

-- The revolution will not be televised.
Banana flavour? by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #42 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 05:40:55 AM EST
is that what it is supposed to be?

for grownups by bobdole (2.00 / 0) #43 Fri Sep 11, 2009 at 06:42:25 AM EST
it might be more advisable with a bottle of Pisang Ambon (for the more topical anaesthetic, add the appropriate amount of cocaine).

-- The revolution will not be televised.
We have a tube of 'Baby Ora-Gel' by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #45 Wed Sep 16, 2009 at 07:50:12 PM EST
Active ingredient: 10-motherfucking-percent benzocaine. And a 2-5mg standard dosage, every 4-6 hours "as needed". Versus a drop of <somewhere between 1/12 & 1/20 ml>, only 40-60% of which is ethanol, the rest being "shit she really doesn't like the taste of".

Not a tough call.

interesting by creo (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 05:13:05 AM EST
So my daughter who is about to ace her finals and get her pick of whatever uni course she wants is a victim of child abuse?

Please be fucking off.

Cheers
Creo.

"I shall do what I believe to be right and honourable" - Guderian

I've never seen an black swan by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 05:44:07 AM EST
Therefore the do not exist.

Your logic is flawed, a presume because your judgment is clouded by strong emotions of defensiveness doubt and guilt.

Evidence of a positive outcome is not evidence for the absence of negative outcomes.

It is a proven scientific fact that even small quantities of alcohol have a damaging effect on the brain, and that the younger the subject the more pronounced the effects.

The anecdotal evidence of "we did this with my daughter and she is fine" proves nothing.  There is no control case, there is no copy of your daughter who was given some other teething treatment that we can compare with.

What's more, I'm not accusing you or BadDoggie of begin bad parents, and am simply encouraging him to use an alternative treatment to alcohol, a substance that is known to be damaging to infant brain development.  There is no need to be so defensive and rude.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

Ok - Fir Enough by creo (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 06:11:11 AM EST
 Maybe I spoke a little quickly, but I would also point out that Thalidomide was seen as a wonder drug, and then found to cause immense problems. However, the remedy I used I know works, and provided it is used appropriately is effective.

The fact remains that you direct words were  giving a young child any alcohol is child abuse, therefore logical deduction is that anyone who does this must be a child abuser - QED. Thus the reason for my off the cuff rudeness.

You may have a point that alcohol can be dangerous to small children, but equating someone who gives minute doses of a known, legally saleable chemical compound to their child to someone who beats, degrades or molests their children will get you a sharp response.

Oh, and thanks for prejudging my response is one of "guilt" - if I am guilty of bringing up a well adjusted child who will be a benefit to our society, I plead guilty. If you think it is because i think I am somehow "guilty" about giving my child relief from her pain at the time, then I refer you to my original off the cuff response.

Cheers
Creo.

"I shall do what I believe to be right and honourable" - Guderian

Every parent feels some guilt. by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 06:15:44 AM EST
Because every parent knows they could have done better.

When confronted with a criticism of your parenting style, it is perfectly natural to feel a range of emotions, including guilt.  You don't have to be a criminal to feel guilty.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.

Something we can agree on by creo (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 06:21:32 AM EST
Certainly your first line -  I think every single single parent  of every child ever born can agree with that.

Cheers
Creo.

"I shall do what I believe to be right and honourable" - Guderian

Dose makes the poison by marvin (4.00 / 4) #27 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 09:36:44 AM EST
Do try studying a little toxicology. Just about everything is a poison in sufficient doses, and every drug that you could name is probably more toxic and has more side effects than ethanol. The only thing that makes people consider prescription drugs and over the counter drugs to be "safe" is that they are taken in small, controlled doses. Doses at which the side-effects are outweighed by the benefit.

As long as it is not a carcinogen or mutagen, and is broken down and/or eliminated from your body (for example, chronic low dose of mercury will build up over time), then it is safe.

Science will show you that a few drops of ethanol every night are safer than a dose of acetaminophen (tylenol). Base on chronic low dose use, I'd worry more about liver damage due to acetaminophen (at the maximum daily dose) than I would ethanol. The LD50 for ethanol is around 10 times higher than that for acetaminophen.

The infant dose is 40mg for acetaminophen. Just scaling crudely based on the LD50, that means 400mg of ethanol would be just as safe. At a concentration of 40%, that would be 1mL of single malt. That would take most of the night to administer unless BDs finger was dripping in the stuff (around 25 drops per mL).

we had trouble by clock (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 08:25:19 AM EST
with all of the gels and other madness out there.  nothing really worked for the dude except for these strange herbal tablets that we picked up someplace...dammit...i don't remember.  probably Target of all places (guess who doesn't do the shopping anymore?).  in any case, two tablets on his tongue led to instant silence.  such magic is likely not available to you, but it is truly magic!

that's what kills me about parenting, it's like wisdom.  not all of it applies to everyone and there are more exceptions than rules.  but it's still the best gig i've ever had.

good luck.  stay sane.  get sleep.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Best gig indeed by BadDoggie (4.00 / 1) #31 Wed Sep 09, 2009 at 05:42:40 PM EST
Glub help me when I have to pay the karma god piper. I'm way too fucking happy.

Also, those tablets may have worked on Dude but from what we've read, they may have the opposite effect on NextDude/tte, much like binkies. We'll try anything as long as it's safe, and the Big Dogs are both well enough versed in medicine and have full access to sites such as PubMed.

We scored a tube of Baby OraJel today and may try it once we've checked ALL the ingredients, but the Bruichladdich is working well, and that with only one or two applications per day.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

only one or two applications per day by sugar spun (2.00 / 0) #41 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 11:02:42 AM EST
Yes, but that's just the parental dose.

Kill or cure. | 45 comments (45 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback