Print Story Humphrey's Peak
By cam (Tue Sep 08, 2009 at 09:50:28 AM EST) (all tags)
We went up Humphrey's Peak on the weekend. It is the highest mountain in Arizona.

More of a write up. More pics.

The ascent was tough. It is about four and a half miles. The killer is that after the saddle there are four fake peaks which hide the final peak. So you get to the crest of each one, which is an effort as they are around the 12K ft mark, and then find you have to hike up another one. I got short of breath, dizzy and headachey twice. A quick break for water and to get my breath back and I was right again.

I sprained my ankle coming down which made the descent difficult at times. But over all +1 would do do again. It was about 5 and half hours round trip.

< I was crossing the snow fields in front of the Capitol building | Dear Americans >
Humphrey's Peak | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I drove past there this weekend by LoppEar (4.00 / 1) #1 Tue Sep 08, 2009 at 10:36:49 AM EST
Out in AZ to see the Grand Canyon for the first time (excellent thunderstorms!), stayed in Flagstaff and stopped in Sedona on the way home Sunday to see family.

Bitten with a serious desire to go hiking there though, none this trip but I'm coming back before too long.

Glad you had a good hike.

Yeh I agree the Southwest is quite beautiful by cam (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 08:30:31 PM EST
That's a fantastic shot. by technician (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Sep 08, 2009 at 12:46:14 PM EST
I'd forgotten what rainstorms in the southwest looked like.

Thanks by cam (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 08:31:16 PM EST
It was actually quite chilly and cold.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Yeah, noticed that snow / ice.... by technician (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Sep 10, 2009 at 09:28:29 PM EST
...which should surprise me, but that elevation, nothing surprises me.

Humphrey's Peak | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback